What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flanno's New Signings

Parko1310

Juniors
What I'm seeing as a recurring issue again is how slow Dragons management are to act. AFB will tour the Bulldogs this week, why aren't the Dragons getting the f**k on with it?? Why wait a couple of weeks, he is your priority target being headhunted by salary cap frauds who are landing a lot of players right now. Stick your nose in there and get on with selling the club to him. Same with Dearden and all our other targets. What are we doing?? Why are we waiting 4-6 weeks before ramping up talks? Get. On. With. It. This slowness to act has plagued us before. It's time to stop missing the boat. Their narrative for ramping up talks in 4-6 weeks was to wait until the likes of Dearden, etc ended their breaks. Guess what? Dearden has been off break for the last two weeks already. Trusting Flanno who seems on top of who he wants from the jump. Can't say the same about the likes of Ben Haran and co, whom it somehow takes 4-6 to "get their affairs in order".

Dragon David

First Grade
What I'm seeing as a recurring issue again is how slow Dragons management are to act. AFB will tour the Bulldogs this week, why aren't the Dragons getting the f**k on with it?? Why wait a couple of weeks, he is your priority target being headhunted by salary cap frauds who are landing a lot of players right now. Stick your nose in there and get on with selling the club to him. Same with Dearden and all our other targets. What are we doing?? Why are we waiting 4-6 weeks before ramping up talks? Get. On. With. It. This slowness to act has plagued us before. It's time to stop missing the boat. Their narrative for ramping up talks in 4-6 weeks was to wait until the likes of Dearden, etc ended their breaks. Guess what? Dearden has been off break for the last two weeks already. Trusting Flanno who seems on top of who he wants from the jump. Can't say the same about the likes of Ben Haran and co, whom it somehow takes 4-6 to "get their affairs in order".
It certainly appears to be a recurring theme Parko. I'm not too sure if, when, how etc. all of the new rules apply to negotiations and signings after the obligatory cooling off periods, but it really appears to me that if AFB is taking in all of the sights and being fed the nibblies/coffees etc by these clubs, particularly the Bully Dogs, then we certainly have not got him by the balls if he is still waltzing around looking at their C of E and every other parts of the "Family" Club.

Nothing of this sort of thing is happening with Dearden which is a far cry better for our chances of securing him than of AFB for 2025. The only hurdle with us getting Dearden is the Cowboys themselves wanting to hold onto him but really there haven't been any other suitors going for him in a big way so, quietly we tread and not let too much out of the bag for our negotiations with him to be hampered by these other greedy bastards. So fingers crossed here.

Insofar as securing a big middle forward other than AFB, if he gives us the flick, then I'm sure that Flanno and his gang would have other players that they would be negotiating concurrently with who might be solid enough to help our squad but at less cost. As the saying goes don't put all the eggs in the one basket...

With all this said though and these are just my thoughts, the recurring theme of wait and see and being seen to again be slow to act is frustrating to say the least.

I don't mind that Flanno has not gone after Luai at all.
Either do I. You misunderstood my view, it being, as he is apparently not interested in Luai then make Dearden an offer he cant refuse now. Still keep it quiet if that is the way the kid wants it. Just move. Then again, for all we know he may have already done so and is trying to avoid a feeding frenzy while Dearden is considering the offer.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
Luai, Dearden. Don’t mind get one or both of them. Can we stop acting like we are in a position of power? Like we are too good for them. Are people watching the same game as me?

Either would be an excellent acquisition and if we can find the smarts there’s no reason they couldn’t be playing in a red v sooner rather than later.

jak

Bench
It certainly appears to be a recurring theme Parko. I'm not too sure if, when, how etc. all of the new rules apply to negotiations and signings after the obligatory cooling off periods, but it really appears to me that if AFB is taking in all of the sights and being fed the nibblies/coffees etc by these clubs, particularly the Bully Dogs, then we certainly have not got him by the balls if he is still waltzing around looking at their C of E and every other parts of the "Family" Club.

Nothing of this sort of thing is happening with Dearden which is a far cry better for our chances of securing him than of AFB for 2025. The only hurdle with us getting Dearden is the Cowboys themselves wanting to hold onto him but really there haven't been any other suitors going for him in a big way so, quietly we tread and not let too much out of the bag for our negotiations with him to be hampered by these other greedy bastards. So fingers crossed here.

Insofar as securing a big middle forward other than AFB, if he gives us the flick, then I'm sure that Flanno and his gang would have other players that they would be negotiating concurrently with who might be solid enough to help our squad but at less cost. As the saying goes don't put all the eggs in the one basket...

With all this said though and these are just my thoughts, the recurring theme of wait and see and being seen to again be slow to act is frustrating to say the least.
take a chill pill dave, at our age we just wait and see , saints have always kept business behind closed doors.

Draginzaaar

Bench
Apparently, our stupid board have to meet each time to make a decision on players. What I heard anyway.

Draginzaaar

Bench
The Mole says Penrith is open to a swap deal with the Tigers over Luai for former Test prop David Klemmer and young halfback sensation Lachlan Galvin. If agreed the deal could be done immediately.

This is the kinda pulling power we lack. Where is our former Test prop of Klemmers ability or our new half sensation if the Cowboys play hard ball over Dearden.
Greg Alexander said it was made up. They don't want Klemmer.

Parko1310

Juniors
Apparently, our stupid board have to meet each time to make a decision on players. What I heard anyway.
If that is the case, I can and can't believe it. Can because it's our board, can't because that has got to be the most incompetent way of running a football club and its recruitment I think I've ever heard. Recruitment should be up to the head coach, recruitment manager and GM of football. If the head coach points out who he wants, most of the time we should be going after them. I say most of the time because it is then the job of the recruitment manager and/or GM to consult with the coach, maybe occasionally giving a bit of push-back and saying maybe we can't afford him, but what about this alternative? Or, maybe he hasn't got the best reputation, but what about this player? The recruitment manager and GM should be there in recruitment to occasionally keep the head coach in check and future proof the roster. Meanwhile, our GM of football admits he doesn't know rugby league, so how can he adequately judge players and their ability?

Obviously, that might not be true that the board has to sign off on every player. But if it is that is the most frustrating, poor, incompetent, amateurish way of running a football club's recruitment on the planet.

RedVee_8

Juniors
Well reports that I have read say that AFB was the highest-paid prop in the competition this year on a deal worth more than $1 million a season. That is why I put the figure of $1.1M on him.

I agree with you Miller that it may not come down to money especially if the clubs that are vying for his signature know that they cannot offer any less or any more than what his contracted salary at the Warriors is. So those clubs will have to sell to him those things you have said and be the best in selling them to him.

Now that your club has him in their sights and it would appear that money won't be an issue, the Shire just might be the location where he can accommodate himself nicely. I think the Shire has a lot going for it and so it would suit him to a T.
Good spot to live for a St George Illawarra player too, of course.

Yep heard the same , they have their Chinese and a few Crownies then get together then by that time , most have forgotten why they are even there ......... So, they call it a night ........
Chinese and Crownies? I’d better get on the board!

If that is the case, I can and can't believe it. Can because it's our board, can't because that has got to be the most incompetent way of running a football club and its recruitment I think I've ever heard. Recruitment should be up to the head coach, recruitment manager and GM of football. If the head coach points out who he wants, most of the time we should be going after them. I say most of the time because it is then the job of the recruitment manager and/or GM to consult with the coach, maybe occasionally giving a bit of push-back and saying maybe we can't afford him, but what about this alternative? Or, maybe he hasn't got the best reputation, but what about this player? The recruitment manager and GM should be there in recruitment to occasionally keep the head coach in check and future proof the roster. Meanwhile, our GM of football admits he doesn't know rugby league, so how can he adequately judge players and their ability?

Obviously, that might not be true that the board has to sign off on every player. But if it is that is the most frustrating, poor, incompetent, amateurish way of running a football club's recruitment on the planet.
I assume they gave that authority to Bennett while he was here. Seems high time they give that authority to Flanno. After all it is the coach’s employment and reputation that is on the line