What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flat wickets

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Thought I would start a thread about this instead of filling up the SCG test thread with whinging. (incoming rant)

The pitches have been too flat this summer. Cricket Australia and other home boards want tests to go 5 days and put a lot of pressure on the ground staff to make sure that it does but its gone way too far in the batsmans favour. Last year we had that great Ashes series because the wickets were quick and bouncy. Test cricket for mine is fast bowlers charging in looking to take wickets. This inversely opens the game up for the batsman because the bowlers and fielding captain are looking to take wickets. If a batsman is good enough to beat the field then runs are on offer.

What we are seeing is almost a return to 1950s cricket but for different reasons. Josh Hazelwood bowled an excellent spell today where he put the ball in the right areas because the pitch is so placid the ball was basically just hitting the length and carrying on. So while he was hard to score runs off the batsman could see him off by defending. Do we really want test cricket to return to the days of grinding and 2.5 runs an over. Already ODI cricket favours the medium paced plodder. When I think of test cricket I think of Glen McGrath hitting his length and the ball springing up at Atherton to be caught in slips. On this SCG wicket even a genius like McGrath would struggle to get much life from it.

It will be a sad day indeed when bowlers are forced into defensive mindsets because they are getting absolutely nothing from the pitch. Test cricket should reward erratic geniuses (on his day) like Mitchell Johnson because when he gets it right its exciting and when he gets it wrong he is exciting (but for different reasons). Why take a risk on a strike bowler like Johnson at all if the pitch will take all the pace from the ball and there will be no venom. We might as well just bring back Siddle.

I am hoping that its just been a poor summer and a difficult one to prepare for because of the tragedy earlier in the year mixing it all up but all four pitches have been docile with only the Gabba pitch being a decent one for the quicks. The Adelaide Oval did enough to at least be fair.

Is it really that hard to have a sporting pitch on day 1 that quicks up a bit on day 2 but becomes easier to bat on and then flattens out for day 3. With it then breaking up on day four and five. That way the toss doesn't become so important. It is literally deciding test matches at the moment.

When I think of my favourite test matches I think of Lords in 2005. Ponting scarred by a beauty of a bouncer from Harmison and England rattling the invincible aussies with great aggressive bowling. Then enter Glen McGrath the master to rip through the English top order after tea. That is good cricket. Had that lords test been played on this SCG Ponting would have scored 200 and Australia would have declared 3/700 and that great Ashes series never would have happened.

Test cricket needs fast bowlers. Lets not take them out the game.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Flat pitches are killing cricket around the world, the pitches all summer bar the Gabba one have been shithouse IMO.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Flat pitches are killing cricket around the world, the pitches all summer bar the Gabba one have been shithouse IMO.

If you remember the last English ashes series they basically worked under the assumption that Swann was a better spinner than Lyon and they have a more solid batting line up so they flattened out the pitches to favour them. When even England is producing flat wickets its quite depressing.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
If it is down to making money right up the 5th day, then CA are to blame.

No proof though.

TheParraboy

Staff member
The fielding has been utterly crap this aust-india series, that's a bigger issue than the decks for mine

We need to tests to go 5 days (provided we get a result or close to it)
There is bitching and whining when tests go 3 days as well.

What we don't want is both sides making 550 in the first innings at 2.2 an over and killing the test totally.

Last edited:

BunniesMan

Immortal
With tree trunk bats and ropes the game has already moved towards the batsmen.

Pitches should not be getting easier at all. There has to be some uneven bounce.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The fielding has been utterly crap this aust-india series, that's a bigger issue than the decks for mine

We need to tests to go 5 days (provided we get a result or close to it)
There is bitching and whining when tests go 3 days as well.

What we don't want is both sides making 550 in the first innings at 2.2 an over and killing the test totally.

When the decks are flat it forces defensive tactics from the fielding side.

If the wickets were fast and the batsman were up to it and scoring runs quickly at least that's entertaining.

shiznit

Coach
Well what the f**k do you expect...

We put the Indians on lively decks and they ended up refusing to tour us for almost 10 years.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
There is no way in hell England is going to give us anything too tricky. They don't want Johnson ripping through them.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Flat wickets make me a sad panda

you know the two pandas (one male one female) in Adelaide zoo are held in different enclosures all year round

Only allowed to be in the same enclosure for 4 days of the year...to mate

You wanna talk about dry decks, talk to papa panda there

lockyno1

Post Whore

GABBA was terrible as well. Can't think of a more boring series period. I love test cricket but I have been dead set falling asleep this series!:x

cleary89

Coach
If it is down to making money right up the 5th day, then CA are to blame.

No proof though.

Do they make more money? I didn't bother going days 4 and 5 after the first 3 were pretty boring and was easy to predict what was going to happen.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
They play them on a different pitch don't they, one of the pitches beside the test match pitch.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Do they make more money? I didn't bother going days 4 and 5 after the first 3 were pretty boring and was easy to predict what was going to happen.

I would think so, not so many extra people through the gates on day 5 as its normally half price but the TV rights would be the big money spinner I would think.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Steve Smith and Virat Kohli, for all their talent, were made to look like Don Bradman and Greg Chappell in their primes on these pitches.

How would they have gone in that 2005 Ashes series? Probably the best innings I ever saw was Punters 150 odd at Old Trafford in that series. Now THAT was a truly great hundred against fiery pace bowlers on a wicket offering enough juice. It was a true contest between great batting and bowling, a contest brought about by a proper pitch.

Just on Kohli again, he averaged 13 in England 6 months ago. But on these wickets he scored 4 hundreds, a 50 and a 46 in 8 innings. What a joke. He's good but he ain't that good.

So yes these wickets were all a joke. For the sake of Test cricket yhere needs to be something in it for the pace bowlers on days 1 & 2. Remember when the captain had to at least think about batting or bowling after winning the toss?

JJ

Immortal
Steve Smith and Virat Kohli, for all their talent, were made to look like Don Bradman and Greg Chappell in their primes on these pitches.

How would they have gone in that 2005 Ashes series? Probably the best innings I ever saw was Punters 150 odd at Old Trafford in that series. Now THAT was a truly great hundred against fiery pace bowlers on a wicket offering enough juice. It was a true contest between great batting and bowling, a contest brought about by a proper pitch.

Just on Kohli again, he averaged 13 in England 6 months ago. But on these wickets he scored 4 hundreds, a 50 and a 46 in 8 innings. What a joke. He's good but he ain't that good.

So yes these wickets were all a joke. For the sake of Test cricket yhere needs to be something in it for the pace bowlers on days 1 & 2. Remember when the captain had to at least think about batting or bowling after winning the toss?

yep