What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Focus on Post Playing Careers.

Mark B

Juniors
Interesting watching Marshall’s show tonight. Highlights Addo - Carrs clothing line and the fact that Benji has a passion in seeing the right pathways for the players once they finish their careers. I realise players of the Foxes calibre are earning good cash whilst playing, however the temptation must be there for most players to blow the money on all the wrong things that will see them struggle post playing financially. Not all ex players can get media gigs etc.
I remember back in the early 90’s as a young shift worker. A couple of mates finished our shifts around 11pm and went to Balmain Leagues for a few beers. Standing in one of the corners pretty pissed and looking out of sorts was former 70 and 80’s league pinup boy Greg Cox. Later I heard he was doing it tough and was struggling. These days I read he drives a bus for one of the hotels on the Tweed/Gold Coast strip.
It is good to see things have changed.

T-Boon

Coach
The NRL and players union should be doing more for them during their careers. Compulsory study/career development etc.
The clubs are utterly useless so I would leave them out of it.

DeeJ

Bench
The NRL and players union should be doing more for them during their careers. Compulsory study/career development etc.
I thought it was a prerequisite in the under 20's that the players had to enrolled in a trade or tertiary education.

some11

Referee
Players were getting a pittance before big tv deals rolled in so less to leverage into a business.

Over the last 15 years or so technology has made it a lot easier for entrepreneurship, combine that with bigger contracts and it makes it a lot easier to set yourself up later in life.

Of course there's always going to be the deadshit who pisses it down the drain.

Chimp

Bench
The player managers have a bigger role to play - get their man set up for life, rather than just taking their 6% or whatever for ringing round a few clubs and getting a few journos to say nice things or linking their players to other clubs to drive up value….

T-Boon

Coach
Players were getting a pittance before big tv deals rolled in so less to leverage into a business.

Over the last 15 years or so technology has made it a lot easier for entrepreneurship, combine that with bigger contracts and it makes it a lot easier to set yourself up later in life.

Of course there's always going to be the deadshit who pisses it down the drain.
That is most of them because of the culture in the game of it being proudly the dero code. Leaders like Gallen and the like at best.
It is a trap for young men.
The code and union needs to force the dero culture to change which is no mean feat.

The player managers have a bigger role to play - get their man set up for life, rather than just taking their 6% or whatever for ringing round a few clubs and getting a few journos to say nice things or linking their players to other clubs to drive up value….

Exactly. A good player manager helps their clients plan on investing at least part of their pay so when their career is over they have a nest egg they can use to live off (if it is a top line player) or enough saved to help the, start a business or pursue post work training/education.

Mark B

Juniors
Milford. Now there’s a cautionary tale. Million dollar contracts and now living with his parents. Still only 27 Though to get his shit together.

T-Boon

Coach
nah, the player agents and managers are just employees of the players.
The agent/managers care less about the players future than the player does.
It is definitely the NRL that needs to implement structural change so that there are more success stories in league away from the game, off the field and in post career life.

DeeJ

Bench
Milford. Now there’s a cautionary tale. Million dollar contracts and now living with his parents. Still only 27 Though to get his shit together.
Wasn't there an article a few years ago about him purchasing properties in Forest Lake? He might be living with his parents as a cultural thing or maybe something related to his relationship.

Mark B

Juniors
Wasn't there an article a few years ago about him purchasing properties in Forest Lake? He might be living with his parents as a cultural thing or maybe something related to his relationship.
I hope that’s the case, but I don’t think it’s the case.

The properties could be leased out for all we know. If so, then they would not be available for him to live in.

Chimp

Bench
The properties could be leased out for all we know. If so, then they would not be available for him to live in.
That was my understanding of the situation - he rents out his places. He had a family home in Brissy, but because Souths had already relocated him, he’d put tenants in that property also.
The bigger scandal of all this is how Souths have got away without registering his contract and paying him - and also how he’s now been given an extra 4 weeks suspension by the NRL, despite missing all season, for something he’s not been convicted for. Awful inconsistency again at NRL.

Latest posts