What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Folau's signing.

8Ball

First Grade
Was it really responsible of us to sign Folau? With the money he's signed for, we could have kept Ennis, and maybe used some cash left over to keep Hannant too. Ennis has been unbelievable this year, consistently our best player, and is far more valuable to us than Israel.

Thoughts?

JW

Coach
Let's see what we end up with or until any future plans come out into the open before we come to any conclusions. Working out rosters for coming seasons aren't as simple as you've suggested.

beads6

First Grade
No doubting Ennis has been great for us this season, but he tends to be inconsistent and often goes missing in action. Folau is an international probably the best young back in the comp by a country mile. Folau will prove to be a great signing next season. I didn't expect to lose Hannant but he chased the money something a real hero in SHANE WEBCKE never did.

Dazzat

First Grade
It's too easy to blame one thing (Folau's signing) for everything that seems to be going wrong.

Ennis has proven that he's a journeyman (Newcastle, St George, Brisbane, Bulldogs). My tip is he'll be like Phil Blake and continue to move from club to club. You get the feeling that if the Broncos' offer was $10 less than the Bulldogs, he still would have gone with the Bulldogs. Considering he went through the first year of his contract injured, and under the Broncos system has established himself as a fine player, he has shown no loyalty - and that's his perogative. Compare him with someone like Webke who admitted this week he could have made a lot more money at other clubs throughout his career, and you can see the short-sightedness of Ennis approach. Webke was looking past football - and he's reaping the rewards now.

Yes, it would have been ideal to keep Ennis, but as I've said elsewhere, the player roster for 2009 isn't complete yet. Don't discount some surprises up ahead. Look at Isaac Luke for the Rabbits ... went from nothing to Kiwi international in half a season. There's plenty of other No. 9s who have established themselves in a year because let's face it ... it's probably the most non-complex position on the field. Think Isaac De Gois, Stuart Flanagan (Wests Tigers), Matt Keating, and Paul Aiton.

And it's well documented that Brisbane had no chance of retaining Hannant and didn't even bother tabling a counter bid to the Bulldogs offer.

I'm looking forward to Folau torturing teams for the next decade.

Last edited:

Poppa_Clay85

Juniors
Does anyone think that Ennie's departing while draw the Storm and Queensland Hooker Cameron Smith.

I mean they are losing a few decent players the broncos. unless there in a rebuilding stage. they will be alright.

Stizyler

Juniors
Does anyone think that Ennie's departing while draw the Storm and Queensland Hooker Cameron Smith.

I mean they are losing a few decent players the broncos. unless there in a rebuilding stage. they will be alright.
no hope in hell the Broncos signing smith. the players aren't leaving because the Broncos want them to the players are leaving because the Broncos have no money to pay them.

Bensterbronco18

Juniors
I would love to see how much we have left to spend. But i really dont think we have enough for cameron smith unless locky left but that wont happen just yet. But falou is an awsome signing and when he and hodges are together it will be a sight to see for us.

hellteam

First Grade
We will have a lot of money when Lockyer leaves. Hopefully we can keep Wallace so the loss isnt so bad

Last edited:

Billigan

Juniors
we will have to wait and see. i dont know what the roster would look like next year. are the broncos going to try to resign boyd or what?

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I'm not a huge broncs fan but do follow what they do quite closely. I think they've made the right choice with Ennis. The team doesn't need two top quality hookers- and marsh is probably the less expensive of the two. He is also a fantastic runner from dummy half, and most likely a team leader. Marsh has had good season on good season, while Ennis is only showing what he has as a player now (consistently).

While outside back depth isn't that crash hot, all the broncos will need are wingers that can fall over the line. You have Hodges and Folau who will both back themselves 9/10, and both are able to commit a couple of men in defense. The broncos will have the biggest 3/4 line in the competition, and this will no doubt aid them coming out of there own end.

I understand depth is an issue- but the forwards still look strong with Clinton, Simms, Parker, Taylor, Eastwood, Kenny, Stagg, Thaiday.

I mean, you may see a couple of younger kids have to step up at origin time but thats always been what the broncos are about. Great junior development mixed with established stars. The broncos have been the best at this over the last 20 years, only to be challenged by the storm in recent times.

I think if you gave every club CEO, coach, and every fan the option they would take Folau at 400k over Ennis at 280k, and Hannant at 300k .

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
The only mistake that i think could have been made was signing Joel Clinton without regard for Ben Hannant's progress.

bfoord

Juniors
The Broncos have stated that they had money set aside for both Hannant and Ennis.

the Broncos believed that Hannant was worth no more than 250K. and i agree with them, i certainly wouldn't have given him 350k just yet.

with Ennis the offer was 175K and given the fact that in his 3 years at the club he has only played a handful of games before this year (due to injury) so i personally do think that he deserves a significant pay rise.the Broncos haven't got their monies worth from him yet.

We also need to remember that tunza is retiring and he would be on a bit, being an origin and test player.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
The only mistake that i think could have been made was signing Joel Clinton without regard for Ben Hannant's progress.

clinton shouldnt have been signed. i'da rather have had petero for another two years. clintons been nothing short of useless this year. I'd rather have taylor and kenny being used as starting props ahead of clinton

Latest posts