What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Food addiction

GW.

Juniors
GW here,

A serious post for an issue that is starting to really trouble me and I don't know where to turn.

It's dawned on me that I have a serious food addiction and I have completely lost control over it.

Tonight alone between 6pm and midnight I had a KFC hot n spicy box, a diet red bull, a 300 gram packet of 'French fries' potato chips and 6 mini peanut butter and chocolate magnums.

Now I feel like utter crap and want to throw up, which I have done many times over the last 6 months. I drink like a fish third-sun and I'm nearly 32.

The food part is a daily occurrence.

On the 'plus' side I am not obese, but I am overweight. 6'2 and 107 kilos and that's no where near I want to be. Insomnia doesn't help. I also don't take any drugs except alcohol.

I do manage to go to the gym 3 nights a week for half an hour and a run two other nights so I'm sort of active and fit. If I had a pre employment fitness test I believe id score well, but again, not as fit as I wish. I can run the bay run (7.2kms) but it kills me after.

It's dawned on me with all this private insurance business in obligated to get soon that i am at the age where health problems can really set in. It's sad, this isn't me.

I've lost weight before in the past but this time I am out of control and need help. Any advice!?

Danish

Referee
What you are describing is essentially bulimia. Vomiting/purging after eating on a regular basis is going to cause you all sorts of f**ked up problems. If you are doing that, you'll want to talk to a doctor about it, as you'll need therapy to get past it.

A huge amount of men have bulimia but go undiagnosed as it's considered a teen girl's issue

GW.

Juniors
I believe the bulimia part I can control.

Besides teeth, what harm does it even cause?

I don't want to downplay the teeth thing, because I'm starting to see signs of acid wear.

Mogsheen Jadwat

Juniors
Dont be a fat merkin op, its quite simple, use some self control and don't consume enough food to feed a small village on a daily basis.

Danish

Referee
If you are even doing it enough to cause teeth problems, then you absolutely need to see a doctor as you will likely need treatment for an eating disorder

redvscotty

First Grade
Dont be a fat merkin op, its quite simple, use some self control and don't consume enough food to feed a small village on a daily basis.

Being unhelpful and snide is the new black.

Crossfitter/vegan alert!

OP needs to speak to a GP and go from there. Wish you all the best mate.

Iafeta

Referee
GW here,

A serious post for an issue that is starting to really trouble me and I don't know where to turn.

It's dawned on me that I have a serious food addiction and I have completely lost control over it.

Tonight alone between 6pm and midnight I had a KFC hot n spicy box, a diet red bull, a 300 gram packet of 'French fries' potato chips and 6 mini peanut butter and chocolate magnums.

Now I feel like utter crap and want to throw up, which I have done many times over the last 6 months. I drink like a fish third-sun and I'm nearly 32.

The food part is a daily occurrence.

On the 'plus' side I am not obese, but I am overweight. 6'2 and 107 kilos and that's no where near I want to be. Insomnia doesn't help. I also don't take any drugs except alcohol.

I do manage to go to the gym 3 nights a week for half an hour and a run two other nights so I'm sort of active and fit. If I had a pre employment fitness test I believe id score well, but again, not as fit as I wish. I can run the bay run (7.2kms) but it kills me after.

It's dawned on me with all this private insurance business in obligated to get soon that i am at the age where health problems can really set in. It's sad, this isn't me.

I've lost weight before in the past but this time I am out of control and need help. Any advice!?

Mate, firstly you aren't alone. Secondly, there is help out there. What you're describing can be resolved, but it would need to be resolved because it can become a long term habit and seriously detrimental to your health.

Just think, you have a good constitution for fitness. That is terrific. A lot of people can't do what you are doing.

I disagree with the sentiment that goes around that you should eat low amounts. The way I see it is its very healthy to eat regular small meals. Provided they are of the right quality. Good nutrients, low to no sugar, avoid saturated fats, and try to get your carbs from the likes of vegies. EG, have small portions of grilled chicken instead of KFC. I was in a similar boat to you - loved chicken, so I ate copious amounts of Oporto's. I'm lucky, I haven't touched that in like 3 years. Still get my chicken though, but just get it grilled. Getting the right macronutrients at the right time can also help out with insomnia because it helps with brain activity - you need the right energy to sleep well.

Good luck!

BadSport

Juniors
You will need to learn how to be in touch with your body. You will lose touch with that in a binge purge cycle and the longer it goes on the more warped it gets. So you have to relearn it.

You'll also have to learn to accept your body for how it is.

A useful thing to do is to exercise for fitness, not for weight loss. Eat to for nourishment and not to lose weight.

At some point you will eat a shitload of food and you'll have to leave it in there. So you have to go through that and might gain weight as you go towards health. But health is more important than being overweight (don't confuse the two despite what is drummed in).

On the plus side it's all doable, just don't concentrate on the problem, concentrate on living life as fully and completely as you can.

Smack

Coach
Hi GW,

I would suggest having a look around the internet for a diet plan and start counting those calories. If you can manage to get to the gym 5 days a week for at least 30 mins and lift weights, you should lose weight and build some muscle. Cardio won't help with fat burning, HIIT is a better option.