What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

football club? leagues club

EELMAN JACK

Juniors
i was asked a question today from a mate who is a fellow eels supporter. he asked me what was the difference between joining the parramatta football club and joining the parramatta leagues club. well after trying to bamboozle him with bulls**t. i finally had to tell him "i don't know" somebody please help me out here. does being a member of the parramatta district football club give me access to the parramatta leagues club? is the football club part of the leagues club?:-s

I drew a picture on this recently didn't I?

Yep
ParraStructure.jpg

Okay so Now to Try and Explain it.

From what Sportive has said, once a while a go, before the Parramatta Stadium was Built, there was only 1 club, the Parramatta District Rugby Football League Club.

Then due to something to do with Parramatta Stadium, the Leagues Club was Split from that.

As such, if you are a football club Member, you are not a Leagues club member, if you leagues club member you are not a football club member. If you want to join both you need to do so, and be supported by 2 Current members. (at the leagues club that is normally the Doormen or Front Desk staff).

So until 1999 the Leagues Club and the Football club, operated as 2 Separate units, Tied together by 3 Shared Directors. To Be the Chairman of Either Board, you needed to be on both boards

Until 1999 the NRL/ARL/NSWRL side (1st Grade) and all other sides were run out of the District Rugby League Football Club.

In 1999, to guarantee funding to the NRL side, the NRL Licence and responsibility for Fielding the NRL Side was given to the Leagues Club which created a new Sub Company, the Parramatta NRL Club Ltd.(PNRLC).

in 2007, the PNRLC Also received the responsibility (along with its licence) to run a NYC (Toyota Cup) Side. This Meant Players in the Flegg Side normally fielded by the PDRLFC were then employed and expensed to the PNRLC.

Further to this, the PDRLFC entered a Joint Venture with Wentworthville RLFC to field a side in the NSW Cup competition. Parramatta Supply upto 10 contract players for that side as well as the majority of the coaching staff.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I think he means, where do the fans come into the structure of it all. Probably the dollar signs below PNRLC, Parra 2Blues, Parra Leagues and Vikings.

Hellsy

Immortal
i was asked a question today from a mate who is a fellow eels supporter. he asked me what was the difference between joining the parramatta football club and joining the parramatta leagues club. well after trying to bamboozle him with bulls**t. i finally had to tell him "i don't know" somebody please help me out here. does being a member of the parramatta district football club give me access to the parramatta leagues club? is the football club part of the leagues club?:-s

In plain terms based purely on face value to us the people:
Leagues club - gives you access to the premises of the leagues club
Footy Club - Gives you a badge/yearbook/voting rights (after 3 years of membership)/invite to AGM

Membership of one does not give you membership of the other

EELMAN JACK

Juniors
In plain terms based purely on face value to us the people:
Leagues club - gives you access to the premises of the leagues club
Footy Club - Gives you a badge/yearbook/voting rights (after 3 years of membership)/invite to AGM

Membership of one does not give you membership of the other

thanks hellsy.

Hellsy

Immortal
Pleasure.
In all honesty if you don't visit the Leagues club it is not worth joining as if you are from out of town you can come in as a visitor anyway, its the same as any other RSL/Workers/Leagues club anywhere around.
Unless of course you get the perpetual membership that is the one off payment for life and you like to have that card as a 'thing to have' if you know what I mean.

bazza

Immortal
Pleasure.
In all honesty if you don't visit the Leagues club it is not worth joining as if you are from out of town you can come in as a visitor anyway, its the same as any other RSL/Workers/Leagues club anywhere around.
Unless of course you get the perpetual membership that is the one off payment for life and you like to have that card as a 'thing to have' if you know what I mean.

Being a leagues club member does give you voting rights for the leagues club group - and as this thread shows, the leagues club has control over the NRL club, so it is one of the few ways to have a say in the running of the club

Parra

Referee
Go back in history a but further.

Footy clubs were set up do to what else - enter sides in footy comps.

There was a need to fund raise - so they were allowed to set up a social club to do so - This is the leagues club.

Very much like the RSL Sub-Branch ( this is the diggers) and their social club (This is the RSL Club).

Because nowdays "money talks" the social clubs tend to push the real clubs around - denying them funding etc. This is stupid - the only reason the social clubs exist is for the benefit of the real clubs - the sporting clubs.

As soon as the idea of becoming "businesses" or "franchises" took over, instead of being "clubs" - the licences of the social clubs should have been revoked. This would have stopped a lot of the crap that has gone on - mainly since some business people saw the cash on offer in these social clubs and decided to "put their hands in the till" so to speak.

So to answer your friends question - nowadays it is such a mess you might as well go to the pub as the leagues club for all the good it does your team.

Hellsy

Immortal
Being a leagues club member does give you voting rights for the leagues club group - and as this thread shows, the leagues club has control over the NRL club, so it is one of the few ways to have a say in the running of the club

Yes but eelman just wanted a simple to understand explanation that he could pass on to a friend.... he did not necessarily want to know the entire schemantics of both clubs like others do

Nikki

Coach

I actually wonder how much money the club loses in the long term by offering this service. Not that I am complaining as I paid $100 for mine probably 10 years ago and it has well and truely paid for itself. Now, I joined the Leagues Club the second I turned 18, and would look to use its facilites til I am well into my 60's (and hopefully then some), and at say $15 a year (I dont know how much yearly membership is) for 42 years is $630 in lost revenue to the club. Not much really, but multiply that by the number of perpetual members and it will soon add up. So how is this option visable to any club in this day and age?