What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forearms/wrists?

Tom Shines

First Grade
Having extreme difficulty making decent size gains (in proportion to gains elsewhere) on my wrists, of all places. Doesn't help of course that I'm trying to go from skeletal to somewhat normal.

The only things I do at the moment are wrist flexors and forearms as part of bicep 21s... Is there anything else i can do to help growth in this area?

(In before some smart merkin says wanking...)

Cliffhanger

Coach
Your wrists aren't really supposed to get bigger, I have pretty big forearms but small wrists. Climbing gives you massive forearms.

Dead lifts build your forearms a little, chin ups are great for your fore arms too, then there's wrist curls and those hand grip thingys, you can get them for ten bucks from rebel.

hand_exerciser_hand-grip.jpg

You can't gain size on your wrists. Just like you cant gain size on your knee.

I have found my forearms get a good enough workout from exercises such as deadlifts, chin ups, one arm rows and bent over rows. I have found no need to exercise them individually. Your forearms are also fairly small muscles that won't gain too much in size, compared to muscle groups like your bi's/tri's, quads etc.

You could try wrist curls, basically kneel next to a bench, holding a dumbell place your forearm onto the bench with your wrist hanging over the edge, slowly curl your wrist towards you. This will give you some good burn.

You could also try tying a weight to a rope and the other end to a small bar, with your arms outstretched, slowly roll the rope around the bar only moving your fingerrs and wrists. This is probably one of the better wrist/forearm exercises.

adamkungl

Immortal
Forearms tend to get bigger just by doing other compound exercises, like cliffy said chinups and deadlifts and stuff.

RHCP

Bench
Do some heavy deadlifting, shrugging and dumbbell rowing and your forearms should start to grow. Farmers walks are also good.

Cletus

First Grade
What are farmers walks? And like Cliffhanger said take up climbing, if your a beanpole already you won't find it too hard.

Karl

Juniors
Forearms can be restricted in terms of muscle gain by tight muscle fascia's often. Calves can suffer the same restrictions. Some people have tight fascia's, others don't. You can have surgery to cut them, but it would be pretty extreme for cosmetic reasons.

I have tight fascia's in my forearms and calves, but I mostly notice it after a lot of water skiing. I just can't grip the handle after a certain point, can't move my fingers properly afterwards etc

RHCP

Bench
What are farmers walks? And like Cliffhanger said take up climbing, if your a beanpole already you won't find it too hard.
Pick up some heavy db's and walk, either for time or along a set distance.

GuardDog

Juniors
make sure u masturbate with the weaker arm also :p ...make sure u dont use straps when doing deadlifts and avoid the alternate grip unless doing a really heavy last set

ceagle

Bench
You cant build muscle around your wrist, but you could put a fair decent amount of fat around it if you wanted wider wrists

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Lift heavy f@cking weights. Wrist curls, grippers and other assorted crap have no place in any routine. And if we are seriously talking wrists and not forearms, there is no muscle around the wrist joint anyway.

adamkungl

Immortal
But the point still stands - specifically working your forearms is a complete waste of time.