What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Foreign ESL Players

mikkolos

Juniors
Hi i was wondering if anyone here could tell me of any players currently in the ESL who weren't born in Australia, England or New Zealand.
Thanks in advance

Evil Homer

Staff member
Stanley Gene(Huddersfield),Marcus Bai(Leeds) and John Wilshere(Leigh/Salford)0 were born in PNG.Tim Jonkers(Salford) was born in the Netherlands.Bolu Fagborun(Huddersfield) was born in Nigeria.

I'm sure a few kolpak stiffs from lower placed sides were born in the south sea islands,and there are a few from Scotland,Ireland and Wales,but the above players are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that are from countries excluding these.

screeny

Bench
Obvious one here, Carney is Irish. That's all I can think of other than some of those already named. A rubbish effort by me.....

The Observer

Staff member
There are a number of players born in countries outside Aus, Eng and NZ; not so many of those players actually grew up or played junior RL outside those countries.

As pointed out, Lions VC Brian Carney was born in Wicklow, south of Cork in the Republic of Ireland. O'Hare was born in Wrexham, Nth Wales, played junior RU there. Gene and Bai are born and bred PNGuineans, Wilshere was born there but played his junior RL in Yepoon, QLD.

Bulls winger Lesley Vainikolo was born in Tonga but acc to Bulls website, his parents were from NZ.

The following players were all born in (Western) Samoa, probably in capital Apia, and raised in Auckland, NZ, except Talau (in Taranaki).
* Bulls Prop Joe Vagana
* Hull fullback Motu Tony (also part Niuean)
* Future Saints wing recruit Meli (also Tokelauan)
* Warrington winger Henry Faafili and prop Danny Lima
* Saints centre/second row Willie Talau
* Widnes winger Misili Manu

* London Broncos prop Joe Mbu was born in Zaire
* Saints forward Maurie Fa’asavalu was born, raised in Samoa & played junior RU there.

* Wakefield winger Semi Tadulala was born in Fiji
* Wakefield centre Sylvain Houles, prop Olivier Elima and Wigan forward Jerome Guisset are French

There are more players in National Leagues 1, 2 and beyond born outside (e.g. Welsh, French, Pacific Islanders and African).

Latest posts