What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Eels stars Mick Cronin, Bob O'Reilly and Peter Wynn consider rebel ticket

Forty20

First Grade
Former Eels stars Mick Cronin, Bob O'Reilly and Peter Wynn consider rebel ticket

Dean Ritchie The Daily Telegraph October 12

PARRAMATTA legends Michael Cronin, Bob O'Reilly and Peter Wynn have held private talks about running on a rebel ticket at the club's upcoming board elections.

The three former stars, who won a combined total of eight premierships at Parramatta, will meet again on Friday night in Gerringong to discuss their options.

The Daily Telegraph yesterday spoke with Cronin, O'Reilly and Wynn, who admitted to a preliminary interest in running but a reluctance to fully commit to the ticket at the moment.

The sacking of coach Daniel Anderson, coupled with a season of high drama, is behind their possible push for board positions. All admit a desire to help the club but are also aware of their current commitments, with Wynn owning a high-profile sports store in Parramatta and Cronin running the Gerringong Hotel.

Wynn and O'Reilly are travelling south on Friday for the Gerringong Rugby Leagues Club's presentation night where they intend to discuss their plans with Cronin.One source said: "It would be one in, all in. If one of the three drops out, this may not happen. But they will be discussing it at Crow's pub before the presentation evening."

Pressed on his interest, Wynn said: "There is certainly an opportunity there. I haven't made a decision just yet. I will probably do that in the next week or so."

Parramatta will hold their football club elections in December and their Leagues Club elections next April.

The Leagues Club board runs the Parramatta Eels. Former CEO Denis Fitzgerald, who left the club after a rebel 3P ticket won power nearly two years ago, has denied he is behind the push for Cronin, O'Reilly and Wynn to run.

Cronin would not comment publicly but conceded he was prepared to have further discussions with O'Reilly and Wynn about the logistics of running for the board.

A close friend said Cronin was unhappy over Parramatta's terrible year but questioned whether the former Test centre would be prepared to travel to Sydney a number of times each year for board meetings and matches.

When asked whether he would consider running, O'Reilly simply said: "I'll consider it."

Fitzgerald said yesterday he was not behind the development. "But I will be a very interested observer," he said.

Told the three were unhappy at Anderson's demise, the source said: "I remember [former St George coach] Harry Bath won a comp in 1977, missed the finals in 1978 [like Anderson] and was retained and then won the comp again in 1979."

Ray Price, a former teammate of the trio, remains on the opposite side as a board member of the football club.

Parramatta experienced a turbulent season which culminated in the early-season premiership favourites missing the semi-finals.

Clicky

Eels Dude

Coach
We need businessmen running the board not ex players. And honestly, it's a bit pointless anyone running rebel tickets for the farce until we get away with this farce of the leagues club controlling the NRL side. It's just vested interest and a waste of resources.

Gronk

Staff member
We need businessmen running the board not ex players. And honestly, it's a bit pointless anyone running rebel tickets for the farce until we get away with this farce of the leagues club controlling the NRL side. It's just vested interest and a waste of resources.

I think it would be great to have Bear, Crow and Wynny on the FC/NRL Board. The two boards should be separate and Roy, Mario and Co can look after the pokies and bistro all they like IMO.

That is the thing ED, traditionally, Ex-footballers always get the most votes in an FC election, and that was plain from the last one.

Last Election their were 5 Ex-Footballers running, Brett Kenny, Ray Price, Eric Grothe Snr, Ron Hilditch and Geoff Gerrard. All 5 were elected, along with Dr Johnson from the incumbent Ticket and John Chidiac from the 3P ticket.

I think it would be great to have Bear, Crow and Wynny on the FC/NRL Board. The two boards should be separate and Roy, Mario and Co can look after the pokies and bistro all they like IMO.

I totally agree. We need business minded people in the LC board not old footballers.

Gronk

Staff member
What possible benefits will he bring?

The Bear ? I think that he'd bring a tad more footy knowledge to the board than many of the pretenders on there ATM. Why do we need Sassen, Saad, Libertini & Wallace anywhere near the football team ? Let them provide their expertise in HR, Catering etc to the LC by all means.

Parramatta National Rugby League Club (PNRL)

Chairman: Roy Spagnolo OAM
Chief Executive Officer: Paul Osborne
Board of Directors
Roy Spagnolo OAM (Chairman)
Sid Kelly OAM (Deputy Chairman)
Glenn Duncan
Joe Saad
Geoff Gerard
Mario Libertini
Lyn Wallace
Parramatta District Rugby League Club (PDRL)
Chairman: Roy Spagnolo OAM
Chief Executive Officer: Paul Osborne
Board of Directors
Roy Spagnolo OAM (Chairman)
Sid Kelly (Deputy Chairman)
Geoff Gerard
Eric Grothe Snr.
Dr Michael Johnson
Robert Sassen
Ray Price OAM

bartman

Immortal

I totally agree. We need business minded people in the LC board not old footballers.

Peter Wynn - successful businessman of many years standing
Mick Cronin - successful businessman of many years standing
Bob O'Reilly - not sure exactly what he did after footy, but he'd have just as much passion for our jersey as Price, Kenny and Grothe imo.

When you're talking about the football club Board (December elections), these are the type of guys you want in there imo, not the human headline like Price has proved to be. When you're talking about the leagues club Board (April-May elections), the first two definitely rank up there as the type you'd want around, imo.

cv8z

Juniors
The Bear ? I think that he'd bring a tad more footy knowledge to the board than many of the pretenders on there ATM. Why do we need Sassen, Saad, Libertini & Wallace anywhere near the football team ? Let them provide their expertise in HR, Catering etc to the LC by all means.

The way it's structured atm he won't have a say in the FG team unless he is on the LC board.
He could be in charge of liquor I guess :lol:
Anyway I would prefer a more recent player than that of a retired 60 yr old. Someone who can understand and relate a bit more to the youth of today.
Someone like DA perhaps

Gronk

Staff member
The bigger problem that I see here is that 3P won't give NRL/PDRL their independence. They should be allowed to stand alone save the odd LC rep and perhaps Duncan.

I suspect that those who stood to "turn the leagues club around" will not relinquish the control of the footy team without a fight. The footy team is the glam part of the gig. It gets you the spotlight. Too many egos involved to let that go IMO.

Gronk

Staff member
The way it's structured atm he won't have a say in the FG team unless he is on the LC board.
He could be in charge of liquor I guess :lol:
Anyway I would prefer a more recent player than that of a retired 60 yr old. Someone who can understand and relate a bit more to the youth of today.
Someone like DA perhaps

Yes but it doesn't need to be like that does it ?

Still can't see why you're taking pot shots at a man who does not deserve your ridicule.

fish eel

Immortal
The bigger problem that I see here is that 3P won't give NRL/PDRL their independence. They should be allowed to stand alone save the odd LC rep and perhaps Duncan.

I suspect that those who stood to "turn the leagues club around" will not relinquish the control of the footy team without a fight. The footy team is the glam part of the gig. It gets you the spotlight. Too many egos involved to let that go IMO.

And you know, thats not with the FC board anyway.

I think Wynn and Crow would be decent board members. Nt sure if Crow would actually stick his hand up for election though.

The Bear? Just seems like a bit of a relic to me....

cv8z

Juniors
Peter Wynn - successful businessman of many years standing
Mick Cronin - successful businessman of many years standing
Bob O'Reilly - not sure exactly what he did after footy, but he'd have just as much passion for our jersey as Price, Kenny and Grothe imo.

When you're talking about the football club Board (December elections), these are the type of guys you want in there imo, not the human headline like Price has proved to be. When you're talking about the leagues club Board (April-May elections), the first two definitely rank up there as the type you'd want around, imo.

At least price shows his passion
I haven't heard boo from the bear in 25 years of failure.

cv8z

Juniors
Yes but it doesn't need to be like that does it ?

Still can't see why you're taking pot shots at a man who does not deserve your ridicule.

Who's taking pot shots?
He's just too old and brings nothing new and exciting
IMO

fish eel

Immortal
I'm really cynical about Crow running.

He would walk it in IMO.

But is he the type of person to run in a hotly contested election where the mud will be flying? I doubt it.

At the moment, I'm thinking his name is being tossed around, maybe to try and flush him out some more and maybe to put the heat on the board.

One thing is sure, Cronin v Price in an election would tear at the very soul of this club IMO. Hence, I dont think Crow would out his hand up.

bartman

Immortal
If your post was my post Fish, I reckon Suity would be in here quoting with his red text, saying "where are your facts" :lol:

As it is, you've expressed an opinion and made judgements on motivations and media coverage - it's different to my opinion based on what we know as it stands, but all power to you for expressing it :thumn.

Latest posts