What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

franklin2323

Immortal
Sivo was an absolutely massive loss. Anyone who thinks otherwise doesn’t understand how rare a physical specimen like he is.

Jury is still out. Lets compare him to our current wingers

Ave metres per Game:
Sivo 134
Mansour 185
To’o 165

Tackle busts:
Sivo 13
Mansour 15
To’o 28

Linebreaks:
Sivo 5
Mansour 6
To’o 4

Tries:
Sivo 3
Mansour 2
To’o 2

Try Assists:
Sivo 2
Mansour 3
To’o 0

Errors:
Sivo 7
Mansour 6
To’o 4

So not enough yet to show our wingers are worse overall than Sivo.

explosive pace etc it is a no brainer but as for overall skills

Jury is still out. Lets compare him to our current wingers

Ave metres per Game:
Sivo 134
Mansour 185
To’o 165

Tackle busts:
Sivo 13
Mansour 15
To’o 28

Linebreaks:
Sivo 5
Mansour 6
To’o 4

Tries:
Sivo 3
Mansour 2
To’o 2

Try Assists:
Sivo 2
Mansour 3
To’o 0

Errors:
Sivo 7
Mansour 6
To’o 4

So not enough yet to show our wingers are worse overall than Sivo.

explosive pace etc it is a no brainer but as for overall skills

Mate, you’re out of your mind. I see you’ve conveniently left out last years stats.

Sivo scores tries our wingers could only dream of.

25 tries in 31 games for the Eels. The jury has returned its verdict in record time.

franklin2323

Immortal
Mate, you’re out of your mind. I see you’ve conveniently left out last years stats.

Sivo scores tries our wingers could only dream of.

25 tries in 31 games for the Eels. The jury has returned its verdict in record time.

Teams aren't kicking to him now. He seems to get less ball this year so needs to evolve his game that is where being raw hurts

Depends what you want in a winger. Mansour and To'o still had more metres a game etc

WestyLife

First Grade
As I said where To'o finishes will decide that. That was who took his place

Shouldn't have re-signed Mansour. An argument can be made he's earned a spot on the wing this year but at the time not so much and he was being offered contracts from elsewhere.

Teams aren't kicking to him now. He seems to get less ball this year so needs to evolve his game that is where being raw hurts

Depends what you want in a winger. Mansour and To'o still had more metres a game etc

I want a try scorer. We need a try scorer. Pretty simple.

25 tries in 31 games. I wouldn’t trade that for Mansours meters in a month of Sunday’s.

Ok well that's even worse. At least Mansour has given great service to the club and seems to have worked hard to regain some form. MWZ is a reserve grade back up.

To’o wasn’t upgraded to the 30 man squad until DWZ left. So we already had him locked down on a development deal.

Sivo should’ve been given the contract that MWZ got for our 30 man squad. At that point we already had plenty of experience in our outside backs with DWZ, Mansour & Phillips. There was no need to sign yet another journeyman in MWZ.

Phillips was also off contract at the end of 2019, so even if DWZ didn’t leave, there would’ve been room for both To’o & Sivo in our squad for 2020.

WestyLife

First Grade
To’o wasn’t upgraded to the 30 man squad until DWZ left. So we already had him locked down on a development deal.

Sivo should’ve been given the contract that MWZ got for our 30 man squad. At that point we already had plenty of experience in our outside backs with DWZ, Mansour & Phillips. There was no need to sign yet another journeyman in MWZ.

Phillips was also off contract at the end of 2019, so even if DWZ didn’t leave, there would’ve been room for both To’o & Sivo in our squad for 2020.

Disappointing.

Kilkenny

Coach
Sivo has done very well at the Eels good on him. Sivo got an offer from the Eels and our coaching staff at the time had there doubts about him as a result the club were not prepared to match whatever the Eels offered. He left although in hindsight all the doubts around his positional play, defence and deficiencies under the high ball you could argue the coaching staff were wrong in there assessment. It happens. MWZ was just a depth signing and as a depth signing he has filled in on a couple of occasions and not let us down.

There was a lot of hype around Eto Nabuli another Fijian flyer who we decided not to retain. He went to the Dragons played a few NRL games before heading off to Union. He didn’t quite make the grade, Sivo has and in this instance the club made a mistake we need to move on.

Sivo has done very well at the Eels good on him. Sivo got an offer from the Eels and our coaching staff at the time had there doubts about him as a result the club were not prepared to match whatever the Eels offered. He left although in hindsight all the doubts around his positional play, defence and deficiencies under the high ball you could argue the coaching staff were wrong in there assessment. It happens. MWZ was just a depth signing and as a depth signing he has filled in on a couple of occasions and not let us down.

They were wrong. There’s no argument about it.

What made the decision particularly egregious is they didn’t even give him a chance in FG before letting him go. Rarely do players of Sivo’s physical statue come along, they should’ve double checked before letting him go.

Kilkenny

Coach
They were wrong. There’s no argument about it.

What made the decision particularly egregious is they didn’t even give him a chance in FG before letting him go. Rarely do players of Sivo’s physical statue come along, they should’ve double checked before letting him go.

Prior to you replying to my original posted I edited mine to just add a bit about Nabuli.

We got it wrong on Sivo, that cannot be disputed. But I’ve accepted it, it happens, I think the blame on that one is on Hook he just wasn’t prepared to take a punt with him.

The yak

Juniors
You can't get every call right.
We just need to hope the people in charge now identify the best players coming through and they have the right methods to get the best out of them.

WestyLife

First Grade
You can't get every call right.
We just need to hope the people in charge now identify the best players coming through and they have the right methods to get the best out of them.

Well we all know about Burton so they better not stuff it up.

franklin2323

Immortal
I will watch him more carefully but I don’t remember seeing Sivo leave his wing. Even for the hard stuff and I like wingers that do the hard stuff.

yes he was good last year but many players have had great 1st up years to turn into standard footy players. Tim Smith, Tony Williams etc so the jury is out for me