What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

mxlegend99

Referee
How do you lose a game 30-12 up with 5 mins to go? That is honestly horrific though I am glad a couple of ex-Panthers managed to haul it in.
I thought it was a joke post. Holy shit can't believe that really happened. An 18 point lead with 5 minutes left is an all time great choke.

Kilkenny

Coach
Katoa had a very good game. A lot of the Bulldogs offense was off of him darting quickly out of dummy half and getting the Bulldogs rolling down field quickly.

He has always had the ability to be a very good hooker. The two things that count against him however is that he is a lazy defender. I have lost count of the times I have seen him jogging back towards the defensive line as the opposition breaks the line through a gap that he could have plugged if he had shown urgency or had the fitness. Tackling and plugging defensive holes in the middle is an absolutely huge part of a hookers game - so being slack there is unforgivable.

His second problem was consistency. He was prone to a few errors a game, whether they were knock ons, forward passes or shit passes that team mates would knock on.

If he was able to sort those two issues he'd be a gun. He has some great offensive trickery with his passing and a good kicking game as well.
Anytime I watched Katoa this season he was always pretty decent. Be a shame if he can’t get a gig somewhere either in the NRL as a backup or in the ESL where he would be a decent starter in most sides. I wish him well.

soc123_au

Staff member
I believe I read somewhere there has been interest in Sione from clubs in the ESL. I have no doubt he will get a deal somewhere, he is a decent player.
He went alright in a shit side this year on occasion. He has some skills, but something is missing to make him a regular NRL starter

roofromoz

First Grade
I believe I read somewhere there has been interest in Sione from clubs in the ESL. I have no doubt he will get a deal somewhere, he is a decent player.

St Helens were reportedly interested earlier this year but the last reports are from May, so probably gone cold.

Kilkenny

Coach
... a functioning human brain
Sione is a really nice person, I’ve met him including on his 21st back in the day when I did a bit of Uber driving. No adverse off field issues, tries his best, just trying to make a go of his limited abilities in respect of being an NRL player. As I have said before I hope he gets another gig bigger somewhere good kid.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
Sione is a really nice person, I’ve met him including on his 21st back in the day when I did a bit of Uber driving. No adverse off field issues, tries his best, just trying to make a go of his limited abilities in respect of being an NRL player. As I have said before I hope he gets another gig bigger somewhere good kid.

I meant on the field. :) No aspersions meant for his actual real-life intelligence. Some of the thickest people I have met have been fantastic athletes.... and vice versa.

Kilkenny

Coach
I meant on the field. :) No aspersions meant for his actual real-life intelligence. Some of the thickest people I have met have been fantastic athletes.... and vice versa.
I understand what you meant, I was just alluding to the fact I hope he gets another crack somewhere.

snickers007

Juniors
I know they've signed some good forwards too (Pangai, Vaughan, Stimson, Asiata etc), but still feel like most of their roster is made up of outside backs.

Also seems like an odd move for Burns. I would have thought he'd be well in the mix to take Gagai's spot next year at the Rabbits - but he'll probably be playing NSW Cup at the Bulldogs.

Latest posts