What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FORTRAN

kaon

Juniors
Does anyone know how to run applications written in FORTRAN? Basically i have a disk that has a program on it that i want to test out and it says that it was written in fortran.

I've been trying to run it via DOS but i don't know what command to type to get the program to run. Do i need a separate program that runs these type of files?

Green Eye

Juniors
If the app was written in visual fortran you can simply run it in something like MS visual dev environment.

If you are talking about a very old fortran app then they usually need their own execution emulation environment. Not sure where you can get one but I would suggest looking on the net. There is bound to be something.

There are many sites dedicated to fortran. This one show how to run a visual fortran app...

http://h18009.www1.hp.com/fortran/docs/vf-html/pg/pgqrunft.htm

kaon

Juniors
I'm running windows 2000, how do i get into the visual dev environment.

I've tried the procedure stated on that page but can't find it.

Green Eye

Juniors
ahhhh you will need something like visual interdev...

It's a program where you write applications.... Something like MS visual studio etc. Are you familiar with those?

kaon

Juniors
No not really but i do have access to C++ software and have a bit of experience in that language from a few years ago. Will that do?

kaon

Juniors
I've just found a folder in program files called "Microsoft Visual Studio", what's that all about?

ps. Sorry to bombard you with all these questions Greeneye. :oops:

Green Eye

Juniors
No worries Kaon...

Microsoft visual studio is what you need.... I'm not entirely sure if it supports fortran but it's good to try... I think most compliling programs will let you run the code. The thing is Fortran is such a little used language these days I'm not sure if mainstream compilers will support it as it is a scientific programming language.

If you have a C/C++ compiler then that should allow you to run the project files. What is the extension of the file you have?

kaon

Juniors
There are only two files. One is a .DAT file and the other one, which is the main one doesn't have an extension. :?:

Green Eye

Juniors
Hmmmmmmm..... not too sure now... I'm assuming the dat file initialises the other. Have you tried running the dat file?

The Engineers Room

First Grade
From the sounds of it one is the data file and the other runs the application. I used to have fortran installed but it depends on the version. FORTRAN90 is slightly different to say FORTRAN95. I did it at Uni two years ago so if I still have the notes I can help just let me have a look for them.

kaon

Juniors
Thanks for the help guys.

I'm finally making progress with fortran but i have to write another program that does the same sort of thing. I think i'll stick with c++ for this one. :?

Just on another note, i downloaded c++ and it works fine with Windows 2000 but i'll be installing Windows XP soon. I've heard that XP doesn't have DOS so how would this affect it. Would the compiler still work and i'd have to use a computer with DOS to run the application or is there a way to run the application in XP?

kaon

Juniors
The compiler doesn't use DOS.

So XP does have DOS? If it does, all is good in the world again. :D

Green Eye

Juniors
Just found out that XP doesn't have DOS but uses a shell. I have a freeware c++ compiler that works on XP so I think it's fine.