What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four At A Time: Rounds 9-12 Wrap Up

rabbitohs95

Bench
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px}

Played: Sea Eagles, Tigers, Storm, Eels (L, W, L, L)

For: 58

Against: 90

Players Used: 22

Game Reviews:

Round 9: Sea Eagles 46 def Rabbitohs 8 @ Allianz Stadium

Easily our worst game of the year. It was a total embarrassment to see the team face an average Sea Eagles side on Old Boys day and put in a performance like that.

The urgency was lacking, and despite the first set of the game, there was absolutely no control or will by the players. Disgusting performance which I’m glad we’ve put behind us for the most part.

Rating: 2/10

Round 10: Rabbitohs 28 def Tigers 8 @ ANZ Stadium

The representative break seemed to do some good for the team, and former Tiger Robbie Farah put in a great 80 minute performance alongside Slamming Sam who scored a double.

The team was in cohesion for the most part, and although it was a good win, it was against a toothless Tigers side, and we were disappointing in the last 20 without scoring any points when we had them on the ropes.

Tyrell Fuimaono enjoyed a solid NRL debut and featured in the next two games.

Rating: 7/10

Round 11: Storm 14 def Rabbitohs 6 @ nib Stadium

For the eighth year in a row the Rabbitohs went to WA to host an NRL match.

Unfortunately we went down to a grubby and tactical Storm team who had leaked 38 points the week before. But to keep them to 14 points was a great result, however we squandered our chances with multiple opportunities to take the 2 points on offer.

I will say though the team put in a very strong effort and learnt a lot from the game. It was a disappointing loss only because of how close we got, but all the players could hold their heads high, particularly Alex Johnston who ran down a runaway Suliasi Vunivalu and forcing an error in the process.

Rating: 6.5/10

Round 12: Eels 22 def Rabbitohs 16 @ ANZ Stadium

And after such a good last few games we dish out a very lacklustre performance.

I understand that the team would have been fatigued from the short turnaround but seriously there needs to be something done with our attack.

Adam Reynolds is in a serious dip in form and it showed in this game. Two tries on the wing and one that’s a run away is a pretty poor effort, especially against a Parra side missing 3 important players.

I will say though it was good seeing Musgrove putting in some big runs and Crichton’s length of the field try was a beauty. Farah tried a little too hard but put in some good kicks.

Tyrell Fuimaono got caught out in his first starting role but he performed admirably.

The bye should set us up nicely for our revenge trip to Brisbane.

Rating: 4/10

Player Reviews:

George Burgess: Only had the one game against Parra but his presence was welcomed. His first game back wasn’t bad but wasn’t really great.

Rating: 5/10

Sam Burgess: Once again, easily our best forward, has been his trademark self; high work rate, plenty of runs and plenty of tackles. Was an absolute monster these past few weeks.

Rating: 9/10

Tom Burgess: Has really improved his game and is holding onto the ball and making good charges.

Rating: 6/10

Braidon Burns: Failed to play a game in this period

Rating: N/A

Anthony Cherrington: Got his chance in this period and is growing as a player with each game. I think he’s one that we should keep throughout the year to see how he goes and definitely doesn’t deserve to be dropped.

Jason Clark: Has stayed ever solid but has been outclassed by our other forwards, only because they're improving though. Got injured in the Tigers game and didn’t play in the Storm or Parra game.

Damien Cook: Lost his starting spot to Farah and has barely had any time to prove himself on the field. With his chances though, he hasn’t shown a whole much unfortunately.

Angus Crichton: In the last review I said he took his opportunity with both hands coming off the bench, but now he's done more so by starting and playing plenty of minutes. Our second best forward behind Sam and is killing it. Doing even better than the last period and has bagged a few tries. One of the few highlights of our side.

Rating: 8.5/10

Robbie Farah: Has regained his starting spot and really brings a tactical and leadership quality to the side when on. Only problem is that he sometimes tries to overplay his hand. But his kicking game is welcomed with the form drop of Reynolds.

Tyrell Fuimaono: Debuted strong off the bench against the Tigers and made some good runs against Melbourne and was shifted to his first starting role against the Eels. While he did struggle to adjust he performed admirably. A positive of this period and has a long future in first grade.

Bryson Goodwin: One of our best performers who always puts in 100% no matter what stands in his way, on field or off. Is really leading the young backs around. Failed to play against the Eels. Has been moved to the centres and is doing nicely.

Aaron Gray: Made his return against the Tigers and has been welcomed back on the wing. A bit of a victim of circumstance, he hasn’t been his best but has built his way back into the NRL with some strong runs.

Hymel Hunt: The return of Hunt really plugged up the defensive liability of the right side. He hasn’t done a whole lot in attack though.

Greg Inglis: Failed to play a game in this period

Robert Jennings: Had a pretty miserable period getting injured in the Manly rout and still recovering. I won’t consider a rating because of that.

Alex Johnston: Unfortunately the fullback position just isn’t working with AJ. Got dropped to the wing after a poor performance against Manly. Looks more comfortable on the wing and has gone back to scoring tries frequently.

Luke Kelly: Failed to play a game in this period.

Sitiveni Moceidreke: Failed to play a game in this period.

Rating: NA

Cam Murray: Only got the game against Manly which was a write off. Won’t rate because of that.

Zane Musgrove: Has come in and out of the team but always adds to the team when he’s in. Put in a blinder against Parra.

Adam Reynolds: Has really fallen in his last few rounds and I’m not sure what’s going on whether it’s attitude of just a form dip. Really worrying considering the halfback is the most important player on the field.

Robbie Rochow: Returned to the side and put in some solid performances. Just needs to get a bit more aggro in him. Putting in some strong numbers.

John Sutton: Back to his old position of five-eighth but is just showing he hasn’t got the desire any more. His age is really showing and the lack of speed is killing our attack.

Rating: 4.5/10

Siosifa Talakai: Only played in the Manly game and has been dropped/injured. Hopefully he can gain some form in reserve grade.

Kyle Turner: Has been moved back to the back row for some reason and hasn’t been all that impressive. I liked his move to the front row and I just don’t understand why he got moved back. Needs to be dropped imo.

Dave Tyrrell: Failed to play a game in this period

Cody Walker: His move to fullback seems to be better for the team overall but isn’t boding well with him I think. After the contract fiasco he doesn’t seem to be putting in and it really showed against Parramatta. Disappointing from one of our best.

Overall:

Again, disappointing period results wise, but despite the lack of wins, there are positives.

Both Sam and Angus are the highlights of our forward pack, and with Farah directing traffic and taking the pressure of Reynolds it’s a better looking team.

The backline is looking much much better with the addition of Aaron Gray and Cody Walker at the back, but as a result I feel like the halves are really poor with Sutto back there. Unfortunately we don’t really have many options.

The return of Rochow and Sherrington have added some starch to the forwards, but we need more from the twins. Tyrell has also put in some strong performances as has Zane, but they need to be high quality and consistent.

The biggest problem here is scoring points. Adam Reynolds is in such poor form and John Sutton just isn’t made for first grade anymore, particularly in the halves. Something needs to be done asap.

Similarly, the choice to play Damien Cook in the side with limited minutes is a curious one, and I don’t see any benefit whatsoever besides the so called utility value he provides. He and Farah just don’t mesh well at all and there needs to be a call made for one of them.

We have two byes in the next four weeks so hopefully that lets the boys get some rest and put in some work. There are two big games against the Broncos and Titans, both of which we can win.

I’m not sure which South Sydney side we’re gonna see for the rest of the year, but I just hope it’s one that will put in some effort.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Can't see us beating Brisbane.

Also we look much quicker with Cook on.

Imo he needs more minutes.

greg jay

Juniors
Team is 4-8. Lasts season it was 9-15. Maguire is supposedly a good Head Coach. Punch in all the ratings you want but the fact is the team has become absolutely IRRELEVANT. Burgess Brothers are now officially IRRELEVANT and a standing JOKE for commentators. It makes a comment if The Burgess Clan has NOT fumbled the rock for 10 or so minutes. Its embarrassing!!! I heard Mark Levy read out an E Mail from a Crisps fan on 2GB Post Match and it said words to the effect of: " Sick and tired of Maguire's style of play and his same old post game comments working hard at training etc. Surely the time has come that Maguire is under extreme pressure." This is precisely what Crisps die hard fans need to be analysing not player ratings which quite frankly are meaningless. Team is poor and it will only get worse with upcoming fixtures v Brisbane Melbourne Easts and Cronulla.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #454545; min-height: 14.0px}

Played: Sea Eagles, Tigers, Storm, Eels (L, W, L, L)

For: 58

Against: 90

Players Used: 22

Game Reviews:

Round 9: Sea Eagles 46 def Rabbitohs 8 @ Allianz Stadium

Easily our worst game of the year. It was a total embarrassment to see the team face an average Sea Eagles side on Old Boys day and put in a performance like that.

The urgency was lacking, and despite the first set of the game, there was absolutely no control or will by the players. Disgusting performance which I’m glad we’ve put behind us for the most part.

Rating: 2/10

Round 10: Rabbitohs 28 def Tigers 8 @ ANZ Stadium

The representative break seemed to do some good for the team, and former Tiger Robbie Farah put in a great 80 minute performance alongside Slamming Sam who scored a double.

The team was in cohesion for the most part, and although it was a good win, it was against a toothless Tigers side, and we were disappointing in the last 20 without scoring any points when we had them on the ropes.

Tyrell Fuimaono enjoyed a solid NRL debut and featured in the next two games.

Round 11: Storm 14 def Rabbitohs 6 @ nib Stadium

For the eighth year in a row the Rabbitohs went to WA to host an NRL match.

Unfortunately we went down to a grubby and tactical Storm team who had leaked 38 points the week before. But to keep them to 14 points was a great result, however we squandered our chances with multiple opportunities to take the 2 points on offer.

I will say though the team put in a very strong effort and learnt a lot from the game. It was a disappointing loss only because of how close we got, but all the players could hold their heads high, particularly Alex Johnston who ran down a runaway Suliasi Vunivalu and forcing an error in the process.

Round 12: Eels 22 def Rabbitohs 16 @ ANZ Stadium

And after such a good last few games we dish out a very lacklustre performance.

I understand that the team would have been fatigued from the short turnaround but seriously there needs to be something done with our attack.

Adam Reynolds is in a serious dip in form and it showed in this game. Two tries on the wing and one that’s a run away is a pretty poor effort, especially against a Parra side missing 3 important players.

I will say though it was good seeing Musgrove putting in some big runs and Crichton’s length of the field try was a beauty. Farah tried a little too hard but put in some good kicks.

Tyrell Fuimaono got caught out in his first starting role but he performed admirably.

The bye should set us up nicely for our revenge trip to Brisbane.

Player Reviews:

George Burgess: Only had the one game against Parra but his presence was welcomed. His first game back wasn’t bad but wasn’t really great.

Sam Burgess: Once again, easily our best forward, has been his trademark self; high work rate, plenty of runs and plenty of tackles. Was an absolute monster these past few weeks.

Rating: 9/10

Tom Burgess: Has really improved his game and is holding onto the ball and making good charges.

Braidon Burns: Failed to play a game in this period

Anthony Cherrington: Got his chance in this period and is growing as a player with each game. I think he’s one that we should keep throughout the year to see how he goes and definitely doesn’t deserve to be dropped.

Jason Clark: Has stayed ever solid but has been outclassed by our other forwards, only because they're improving though. Got injured in the Tigers game and didn’t play in the Storm or Parra game.

Damien Cook: Lost his starting spot to Farah and has barely had any time to prove himself on the field. With his chances though, he hasn’t shown a whole much unfortunately.

Angus Crichton: In the last review I said he took his opportunity with both hands coming off the bench, but now he's done more so by starting and playing plenty of minutes. Our second best forward behind Sam and is killing it. Doing even better than the last period and has bagged a few tries. One of the few highlights of our side.

Rating: 8.5/10

Robbie Farah: Has regained his starting spot and really brings a tactical and leadership quality to the side when on. Only problem is that he sometimes tries to overplay his hand. But his kicking game is welcomed with the form drop of Reynolds.

Tyrell Fuimaono: Debuted strong off the bench against the Tigers and made some good runs against Melbourne and was shifted to his first starting role against the Eels. While he did struggle to adjust he performed admirably. A positive of this period and has a long future in first grade.

Bryson Goodwin: One of our best performers who always puts in 100% no matter what stands in his way, on field or off. Is really leading the young backs around. Failed to play against the Eels. Has been moved to the centres and is doing nicely.

Aaron Gray: Made his return against the Tigers and has been welcomed back on the wing. A bit of a victim of circumstance, he hasn’t been his best but has built his way back into the NRL with some strong runs.

Hymel Hunt: The return of Hunt really plugged up the defensive liability of the right side. He hasn’t done a whole lot in attack though.

Greg Inglis: Failed to play a game in this period

Robert Jennings: Had a pretty miserable period getting injured in the Manly rout and still recovering. I won’t consider a rating because of that.

Alex Johnston: Unfortunately the fullback position just isn’t working with AJ. Got dropped to the wing after a poor performance against Manly. Looks more comfortable on the wing and has gone back to scoring tries frequently.

Luke Kelly: Failed to play a game in this period.

Sitiveni Moceidreke: Failed to play a game in this period.

Rating: NA

Cam Murray: Only got the game against Manly which was a write off. Won’t rate because of that.

Zane Musgrove: Has come in and out of the team but always adds to the team when he’s in. Put in a blinder against Parra.

Adam Reynolds: Has really fallen in his last few rounds and I’m not sure what’s going on whether it’s attitude of just a form dip. Really worrying considering the halfback is the most important player on the field.

Robbie Rochow: Returned to the side and put in some solid performances. Just needs to get a bit more aggro in him. Putting in some strong numbers.

John Sutton: Back to his old position of five-eighth but is just showing he hasn’t got the desire any more. His age is really showing and the lack of speed is killing our attack.

Rating: 4.5/10

Siosifa Talakai: Only played in the Manly game and has been dropped/injured. Hopefully he can gain some form in reserve grade.

Kyle Turner: Has been moved back to the back row for some reason and hasn’t been all that impressive. I liked his move to the front row and I just don’t understand why he got moved back. Needs to be dropped imo.

Dave Tyrrell: Failed to play a game in this period

Cody Walker: His move to fullback seems to be better for the team overall but isn’t boding well with him I think. After the contract fiasco he doesn’t seem to be putting in and it really showed against Parramatta. Disappointing from one of our best.

Overall:

Again, disappointing period results wise, but despite the lack of wins, there are positives.

Both Sam and Angus are the highlights of our forward pack, and with Farah directing traffic and taking the pressure of Reynolds it’s a better looking team.

The backline is looking much much better with the addition of Aaron Gray and Cody Walker at the back, but as a result I feel like the halves are really poor with Sutto back there. Unfortunately we don’t really have many options.

The return of Rochow and Sherrington have added some starch to the forwards, but we need more from the twins. Tyrell has also put in some strong performances as has Zane, but they need to be high quality and consistent.

The biggest problem here is scoring points. Adam Reynolds is in such poor form and John Sutton just isn’t made for first grade anymore, particularly in the halves. Something needs to be done asap.

Similarly, the choice to play Damien Cook in the side with limited minutes is a curious one, and I don’t see any benefit whatsoever besides the so called utility value he provides. He and Farah just don’t mesh well at all and there needs to be a call made for one of them.

We have two byes in the next four weeks so hopefully that lets the boys get some rest and put in some work. There are two big games against the Broncos and Titans, both of which we can win.

I’m not sure which South Sydney side we’re gonna see for the rest of the year, but I just hope it’s one that will put in some effort.

Hope you keep doing these.

Excellent work!