What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four D linemen

unforgiven

Bench
But let me just say this before I sign off on shifting this to the cave (the mods have meekly asked my permission to do that which I will agree to).
This idea would make the game a lot better than it is at present and it would make it the number one game in the country.
No it wouldn't

Travitoh

First Grade
Well Rugby Union sux everyone agrees, whilst American Football is cool. League should become less like Rugby Union and more like American Football.

Outside of the US, American football is not much more than a brand.

Travitoh

First Grade
If rugby league was to adopt anything from America's popular sports, it should be penalised teams being shorthanded like in ice hockey.
Player sits out until the opposition score or their team mates gain possession through either play the ball or scrum feed.
Multiple infringments during a defensive set = multiple players sitting out.

T-Boon

Coach
Outside of the US, American football is not much more than a brand.

Even if that were true (it is not) you still have to marvel at a sport that has managed to monopolise 50 states that are each at least the size of Queensland.
The fact is they have just put way more thought into their rules than RL. American Football looks like a sport devised in elite universities like Yale, Princeton and Harvard while RL looks like a sport devised by lazy drunks in a pub.

unforgiven

Bench
Even if that were true (it is not) you still have to marvel at a sport that has managed to monopolise 50 states that are each at least the size of Queensland.
The fact is they have just put way more thought into their rules than RL. American Football looks like a sport devised in elite universities like Yale, Princeton and Harvard while RL looks like a sport devised by lazy drunks in a pub.
I love the NFL, my second favourite sport, but why would I want either of those sports to become more like the other? They are 2 separate sports and I like both.

I have a counter idea for you, I also like cricket, so how about we allow 2 players from each team to use cricket bats? Cricket is a very popular sport, especially in India so that will gain us another very lucrative market.

T-Boon

Coach
I love the NFL, my second favourite sport, but why would I want either of those sports to become more like the other?

Because currently Rugby League is almost exactly like Rugby Union and thats not a good thing considering Australia is losing interest fast in Rugby Union.
It is just common sense to look at things that work in other popular sports and ask whether they would work in our sport.
4 defenders in the front line (rather than 2 defenders who lamely have to be "square" for some reason related to Rugby Union) makes a lot of sense and solves a lot of problems AND is more accurate to how RL was originally intended to be.

T-Boon

Coach
Remember when Harrigan suggested one forward pass per set?

Yeah, this idea is still worse.

What about it? Because of the ten metres we now have at least one pass per set that is allowed to be forward. Try throwing a forward pass from dummy half when there are 4 defenders on the advantage line.

unforgiven

Bench
Because currently Rugby League is almost exactly like Rugby Union and thats not a good thing considering Australia is losing interest fast in Rugby Union.
It is just common sense to look at things that work in other popular sports and ask whether they would work in our sport.
4 defenders in the front line (rather than 2 defenders who lamely have to be "square" for some reason related to Rugby Union) makes a lot of sense and solves a lot of problems AND is more accurate to how RL was originally intended to be.
The markers being square has nothing to do with Rugby Union, it relates back to when our play the ball was a contest the markers were the 2 players involved in the contest for the defensive side, the second marker was their to pick up the ball when it was struck back just has the dummy half does for the attacking side.That last point shows you have no idea how rugby league was intended to be so stop using that as an argument.

Rugby League is not almost exactly like Rugby League, but I do know how you can get the sport you are trying to create in your mind. Go create it and see how many people want to participate and watch your sport. Hey it worked for BASEketball, they even made a great documentary about it.

T-Boon

Coach
The markers being square has nothing to do with Rugby Union, it relates back to when our play the ball was a contest the markers were the 2 players involved in the contest for the defensive side, the second marker was their to pick up the ball when it was struck back just has the dummy half does for the attacking side.

Thats just a scaled down rugby ruck.

T-Boon

Coach
As is the snap in American football? your point is?

That it is too much like a Rugby Union ruck and should be changed/improved and it is nothing like original RL rules because the whole defensive line only had to be back 1 metre so the markers were not isolated.

We don't have to go as far as a line of scrimmage but 10 easy metres is stupid sport.

This Year?

Immortal
Gosh these ideas are crazy,

Why don't we have the captains choose a "power play" for a 10 minute period where each side is allowed to defend wherever they like and in attack they are allowed to pass forward.

unforgiven

Bench
That it is too much like a Rugby Union ruck and should be changed/improved and it is nothing like original RL rules because the whole defensive line only had to be back 1 metre so the markers were not isolated.

We don't have to go as far as a line of scrimmage but 10 easy metres is stupid sport.
Your argument is so contradictory, So we need to get further away from rugby union by going back to rules that make the game more like Rugby Union?

So what do you want to replace the Rugby League ruck with?

T-Boon

Coach
So what do you want to replace the Rugby League ruck with?

The RL ruck on its own is not the big problem. It is the RL ruck in conjunction with the ten metre rule.
The combination of those makes speed of play the ball and wrestling the most important things in the game even though they are ugly, stupid things that nobody has the slightest interest in.

Allowing the defence to have four defenders anywhere they want behind the advantage line (or the neutral zone of about 1 metre) would make speed of the play the ball less influential, it would cut off the easy metres and one out hit ups, it would introduce complications to defending and attacking that would mean different strategies of play evolve instead of what we have now - the Bellamy way.