What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four D linemen

unforgiven

Bench
The RL ruck on its own is not the big problem. It is the RL ruck in conjunction with the ten metre rule.
The combination of those makes speed of play the ball and wrestling the most important things in the game even though they are ugly, stupid things that nobody has the slightest interest in.

Allowing the defence to have four defenders anywhere they want behind the advantage line (or the neutral zone of about 1 metre) would make speed of the play the ball less influential, it would cut off the easy metres and one out hit ups, it would introduce complications to defending and attacking that would mean different strategies of play evolve instead of what we have now - the Bellamy way.
How is it decided which 4 players are allowed to be offside?

T-Boon

Coach
It seems you really dislike Rugby League, have you ever thought about following another sport?

Yes, American Football. If there was a good AF competition out here and prime time viewing I would leave you all alone.

But I loved league a long time before Bellamy f**ked it and I think it can still be fixed. I think this idea would fix most of the things I have come to loath about the game.

unforgiven

Bench
Yes, American Football. If there was a good AF competition out here and prime time viewing I would leave you all alone.

But I loved league a long time before Bellamy f**ked it and I think it can still be fixed. I think this idea would fix most of the things I have come to loath about the game.
But you are the only one that thinks that, you want to change the game for your sake and forget everyone else.

Mate get gamepass, I love the NFL. Having the day off tomorrow just to watch Thursday night football live. There are plenty of games you can watch from the NFL and the scores are easy to avoid.

T-Boon

Coach
But you are the only one that thinks that, you want to change the game for your sake and forget everyone else.

Most people have the same complaints about RL as it is in 2018.
Too much wrestling, hit ups, bombs, refereeing too influential, structure, completions, everyone plays the same, inconsistent ruck refereeing, not enough adventurous play, dummy half forward passes etc.

Anyone can see this fixes most of that.

unforgiven

Bench
Most people have the same complaints about RL as it is in 2018.
Too much wrestling, hit ups, bombs, refereeing too influential, structure, completions, everyone plays the same, inconsistent ruck refereeing, not enough adventurous play.
How many agree with your proposed changes?

T-Boon

Coach

It isn't easy to get people to think about them (NRL people cannot even be bothered thinking about whether the scrum is stupid or not).
To your credit you asked a good question earlier (who are the 4 that get to be inside the ten? - that is the only difficulty with implementing the rule).

T-Boon

Coach

Additionally, I am pretty sure I got the idea off Steve Mascord who is a great thinker about the game.

I read an article he wrote where he said the markers should not have to be square and should be able to be anywhere. But to be fair he also said he gave up on the idea.

unforgiven

Bench
It isn't easy to get people to think about them (NRL people cannot even be bothered thinking about whether the scrum is stupid or not).
To your credit you asked a good question earlier (who are the 4 that get to be inside the ten? - that is the only difficulty with implementing the rule).

I am trying to understand where you are coming from and do have similar problems with the game that you do, I just think your ideas are poorly thought out and will not gain any traction at all. We would be much better to go back to a 5 metre rule to fix the problems we are having, but that is unlikely to eventuate either.

T-Boon

Coach
Its like he's advocating for a game that doesn't even resemble Rugby League, why bother? Just invent a new sport.

RL 2018 is a very different sport to when I started enjoying it in the 80s, it is essentially the coaches that invented a new sport, I am trying to think of ways to fix it.

unforgiven

Bench
How so? How wouldn't it solve all these problems? What problems would result?

Agreed. The NRL coaches are too influential and the fans are very apathetic to how the game is being ruined by the NRL coaches.
Because it fundamentally changes the game and you are at least 30 years too late for changes of that magnitude. Most sports have a period where their games rules are changed massively, Rugby League had that period from 1908 until the 1970's/80's. After that period of change sports tend to settle into the rules that they have, look at Rugby Union, Rugby League, American Football, they all developed from Soccer and had massive change periods that slowed as their audiences became accustomed to what the game was. It is easy to change the game when it is new and young.

Look at Baseball and Cricket that both evolved from rounders, again they had periods of huge change that then slowed as their audiences became accustomed to what the sport is. Yes cricket has introduced different lengths of matches but the fundamental rules remain the same.

Ultimately Rugby League is beyond its time of fundamental change and the only changes to come from here will be superficial changes to rules or changes related to safety, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Someguy

First Grade
While we are talking rule changes, let’s do away with the knock on and forward pass only rule on offside. Both are so poorly adjudicated on anyways

gUt

Coach
Why don't they plant land mines randomly on the field like they used to in the rice paddies of Vietnam I mean that was much more unpredictable back in the old days and would allow for me to argue against this rule change next week.

T-Boon

Coach
Because it fundamentally changes the game and you are at least 30 years too late for changes of that magnitude. Most sports have a period where their games rules are changed massively, Rugby League had that period from 1908 until the 1970's/80's. After that period of change sports tend to settle into the rules that they have, look at Rugby Union, Rugby League, American Football, they all developed from Soccer and had massive change periods that slowed as their audiences became accustomed to what the game was. It is easy to change the game when it is new and young.

Look at Baseball and Cricket that both evolved from rounders, again they had periods of huge change that then slowed as their audiences became accustomed to what the sport is. Yes cricket has introduced different lengths of matches but the fundamental rules remain the same.

Ultimately Rugby League is beyond its time of fundamental change and the only changes to come from here will be superficial changes to rules or changes related to safety, that is not necessarily a bad thing.

Rugby League has changed more in the last 20 years than ever before and it is because they didn't make the necessary rule changes. They should have changed the 10 metre rule 10 years ago. Just as Bellamy was settling in.

They should change the "neutral zone" rule (or whatever it is called) every 10 years.

Additionally having 4 defenders anywhere inside the 10 metres is good for safety because it slows down the big men, makes them less influential and protects the smaller skilful players from having big guys run at them. You could have one guy whose job it is to man mark Taumalolo. Take him out of the game.

Last edited:

unforgiven

Bench
Rugby League has changed more in the last 20 years than ever before and it is because they didn't make the necessary rule changes. They should have changed the 10 metre rule 10 years ago. Just as Bellamy was settling in.

They should change the "neutral zone" rule (or whatever it is called) every 10 years.

Additionally having 4 defenders anywhere inside the 10 metres is good for safety because it slows down the big men, makes them less influential and protects the smaller skilful players from having big guys run at them. You could have one guy whose job it is to man mark Taumalolo. Take him out of the game.
That is rubbish that the game has changed more in the last 20 years than ever before, it can't even be argued. We went from an unlimited tackle rule to limited tackles, do you want to try and claim that was a smaller period of change than we have seen in the last 10 years.

The biggest change in the last 30 years has been interchange, that has had the greatest impact on the game and the continued reduction in interchange will fix a lot of the issues you have with the game.

The problem with your suggestions to fix these problems is it changes the game fundamentally, with your changes the game no longer looks or plays like Rugby League, so you might has well go away and create your own sport or better yet, just follow the NFL as that is what you would like Rugby League to turn into.

Vozzy

Juniors
Also they should have a 3min commercial after every tackle and if they play the ball before the ad ends should be a 4 week suspension.

Should also be touch football if the best player on the team has the ball and be roughing the passer penalty if someone like Billy Slater gets tackled.

Latest posts