What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four Nations

maple_69

Bench
Since theres not much to talk about and we have a few guys in rep teams, I thought it would be worth creating somewhere to discuss our guys playing in the four nations.

Moylan destroyed it on debut. Merrin has probably stamped himself as the premier lock in Australia, Mansour up there with Rapana as the best winger the league and Martin is a shot at getting a crack against Scotland as well.

With Cleary widely touted as an origin candidate ( I hope not until 2018) we are going to have reps almost 1-13.

The way Moylan finished the year, and the way he's come back to the NRL a much improved player every time he's taken a step up, I'm going to put a sneaky tenner on him for Dally M next year. He makes the right decision every time and with the options he will have around him next year he will be so hard to defend. Mansour has figured it out. I hope to see Moylan continue to run more often and I think he'll be much more effective taking on the line with the defence holding back for the pass.

betcats

Referee
If Moylans form continues the way he finished last year and he stays fit he will certainly be near the top of the DallyM list. He finished the year with two or three MOTM awards in a row and just got one against Scotland so it will be hard to reproduce that form.

I think the exciting thing with Moylan is whenever he goes up a level he gets better and whenever he gets an injury free run in the nrl he gets better. The improvement he made from 14 to 15 was huge, He was leading the DallyM list when he got injured in 15, then he came back this year and after getting through origin he went to another level again. He if can do that again in 17 then we really are in for an exciting few years.

Agree re Moylan running the ball. Ive heard Sterlo say a million times the best ball players look to run the ball.

maple_69

Bench
Yeah he has really worked on his short kicking game which is great. Bring that running threat in and while the defence know he'll probably pass, they also know he could pull their pants down and run or kick.

MrBlack

Juniors
Moylan and Mansour came back from SOO this year as better players. I expect another level again after the 4 Nations.

Merrin - well he is just settling in back where he was a few years ago (Dragons really did a number on him). I have high expectations (due to his price tag) but he is definitely not disappointing me. Attitude counts as much as ability and he has tonnes of both.

My only real disappointment is that Tamau hasn't come into reckoning for the 4 nations. We are paying him top dollar and he needs to be a current rep player for mine if he is to give us value. We are no longer a club that marquee signings are viewed by players as a retirement contract.

betcats

Referee
He needs to perform like a current rep player to give us value, he doesn't have to actually get picked in fact its better value for us if he is performing at that level and not getting picked. I think his form was pretty good over the back end of the year but not where we would like it considering the reported figures we are paying him. Hopefully coming here has the same effect it does on Merrin.

MrBlack

Juniors
Look I think he will. We seem to have a very positive environment and a very very under-rated coach.

If he does though, we could be looking at supplying 3 of the starting forwards in the NSW team next year (Carty, Merrin and Taumo)

betcats

Referee
Yeah im fairly confident we can get some good form out of him. Hopefully he uses his dropping from the AUS team as motivation.

2014 - finished 4th supposed to build from there
2015 - shit ton of injuries
2016 - finished 6th supposed to build from there
2017 - wallace and mansour both already injured

when do you reckon mansour can get back earliest??? definitely not round 1 maybe before round 10?

hoping it could be like darius boyd's injury. he suffered it on the 5th of december at training and was back for round 8

betcats

Referee
I seriously doubt Blake would of been dropped tbh. Anyway we will still be fielding a strong backline with Hiku/Whare/Blake/DWZ and potentially peachey.

Hiku is a better winger than centre imo his defence wont be shown up to much. Assuming he is paired with Whare they wil be solid defensively.

mxlegend99

Referee
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has become more important now too. Mansour did the work of himself and Moylan on kick returns. I dont see Hiku taking on that workload.

franklin2323

Immortal
Dallin Watene-Zelezniak has become more important now too. Mansour did the work of himself and Moylan on kick returns. I dont see Hiku taking on that workload.

Moylan's stats for metres gain aren't too bad. He gained more PG then Barba and Coote yet their teams still finished top 4. So it's not ideal but far from as bad as some think