What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Four year deal for Boyd at knights

rnb11

Juniors
Boyd sticking with father-like coach

The chance to share a piece of rugby league history with the man he credits with making him a better person and player influenced Darius Boyd's decision to leave St George Illawarra and join Newcastle.

As expected, Boyd will follow Wayne Bennett, who he's referred to as a father-like figure ever since his arrival at Brisbane as a troubled youngster in 2005, to the Knights on a four-year deal.

The two-time premiership-winning fullback will follow seven-time premiership-winning coach Bennett in chasing history as only the second player after NSW great Glenn Lazarus (Canberra, Brisbane and Melbourne) to win three titles at as many clubs.

If Bennett, who guided the joint-venture to a first premiership last year, can deliver for the Knights, he'll add to his legend as the first coach to win titles at three different clubs, having won six with the Broncos before last year's triumph with the Dragons.

"Obviously I wouldn't be going there without Wayne but in the end it was my own decision," said Boyd on Friday.

"It was a tough decision because the Dragons have been great and I've been missing home (Brisbane) as well."

Bennett, who took Boyd with him to the Dragons after Brisbane failed to offer him a contract for 2009, left the decision up to the 23-year-old who admitted he found deciding his future a tough call.

"I started to think about home and missing home and how good the Dragons had been to me and it wasn't an easy choice in the end," he said.

"The Dragons and the fans have been unreal and I obviously want to finish the season off with them but next year will be a new challenge."

Newcastle skipper Kurt Gidley said he would be more than happy to move from fullback to accommodate Boyd.

Gidley, who has played most of his career with the Knights in the No.1 shirt, is currently playing halfback due to a pectoral injury to Jarrod Mullen, but has also filled in at hooker and five-eighth both for NSW and for his club.

"I think Darius will be a great signing for us, he can play on the wing and at fullback and is one of the best players in the NRL at the moment and I am really happy to see him come to Newcastle," Gidley said on Friday.

The 29-year-old said winning games regularly was more important than what position he takes on the field.

"Right from when I started playing first grade, as long as I was in the team, playing good footy and winning games, that was my priority," Gidley said.

"Whether, I am fullback, half, hooker it doesn't matter, as long as I am enjoying myself, I am happy to play, wherever the team needs me."

Boyd said he was pleased to learn of Gidley's comments.

"I've played a couple of games with Gids and been on tours with him and he's a great bloke like that and he's been a great player for a lot of years with Newcastle," he said.

"I definitely prefer to play fullback but that's up to Wayne and, even at the Dragons, I've been getting into the second pivot role with Sowie (Jamie Soward) so I'm sure I could do a bit of that too."

88.Knights

Juniors
"Obviously I wouldn't be going there without Wayne but in the end it was my own decision," said Boyd on Friday.

Hopefully he changes that thought after coming to Newcastle and playing for the club the town and the fans. Not just coming to follow wayne but will develop the newcastle passion like others that have come to the club e.g hilder. Obviuosly he'll give 100% each time he plays, but hopefully wayne is not his only motivation.

perverse

Referee
he wouldn't have much incentive to come to Newcastle when he can still get a good pay to go home, or stay with his current mob. once again, i see nothing wrong with that. if anything, it means he probably wouldn't just take the cash to come here if Bennett wasn't here, and i can admire that. a choice between his current club and going home would have been obvious, and i can see why Wayne coming our way threw a spanner in the works. ultimately the dollars and Waynes influence were enough. excellent, that's what we have them both for.

Darius' comments are rather honest and I admire that. He isn't saying we aren't a club he wishes to play for so much as he was looking to head home in his heart. In other words he is human. He has backed Wayne's belief in this club and it's direction and i believe by the end of his time here he will be more than happy he made this choice. The fans will idolise him and a 28 year old Boyd will be much world wiser than a 23 year old Boyd come the end of this current deal. Saints fans have very right to feel aggrieved by this but to their credit they have copped it sweet and more to the point been gracious about it in most cases. That is Wayne's gift. He leaves clubs having very high esteem about where they are headed.

Western Saint

First Grade

Hopefully he changes that thought after coming to Newcastle and playing for the club the town and the fans. Not just coming to follow wayne but will develop the newcastle passion like others that have come to the club e.g hilder. Obviuosly he'll give 100% each time he plays, but hopefully wayne is not his only motivation.
His contract will be no different to the 3 year deal he signed with us beginning of the year, Wayne goes i go. Thats his mentality but at least hes upfront about it, i never expected him to stay and neither should you.

Byron Knight

Juniors
I for one am not expecting him to stay longer than that but that's OK. As long as he does his job while he's with us and helps improve the club and it's standards then good. In 3 years we will have a strong club, the best facilities, coaches, etc and will be seeing a lot of quality juniors come through. All good from my perspective. You never know though, he may love the place and want to stay!

Big Tim

First Grade
For mine it shows wonderful loyalty.

We all go on about loyalty, and if a player stays at a club they are loyal, and if they take a larger contract somewhere else they are just "money hungry"

This is really refreshing. Genuine loyalty. Obviously as a club supporter you would like him to show layalty at the club level. But I am OK with the possibility of him leaving in his late 20's if/when Wayne leaves.

Byron Knight

Juniors
Yep, you're right Big Tim. Refreshingly honesty too. Look at most of the Dragons fans just wishing him the best. He was honest with them from the start and they appreciate what he did. Can't hope for anymore than that. Welcome to Newcastle, Darius.