What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox Sports Dumps NRL FB Page

applesauce

Bench
Not good signs for the NRL's standing within FoxSports...

Fox Sports NRL
To our league fans... we wanted to let you know firsthand we are restructuring our Facebook pages and plan to eliminate our NRL page from the line-up. Why? We think we can do a better job of giving you the news and behind the scenes goodies that you want by reducing the number of accounts we are trying to maintain! We definitely don't want to lose you from our sports community, so please check out the attached story for more details and a full list of the accounts we plan to keep – and most importantly the content that will be on offer in each.

They have decided to KEEP AFL (55) and Soccer (3,054) facebook pages but not their no.1 "liked" page, NRL (4,204).

Here is an article they linked with the justification showing all the up to date FB and Twitter feeds: LINK

Feel free to abuse them on in the post they made about the closing of this page, like numerous others.
https://www.facebook.com/foxsportsnrl

roofromoz

First Grade
They've dumped Fox Sports Cricket too - mind you, I was only one of about 100(?) members, and most of their stories got no likes let alone comments. It is interesting that they're keeping other sports, I thought it was all sports.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
personally i think this moment signfies the start of the downfall of facebook in it's entirety..

it's had it's time in the sun...

PaddyBoy

Juniors
Why did they drop the NRL if it has the most likes? Is facebook commenting drawing away from website commenting or something?

Quidgybo

Bench
Anyone thought that it might be the NRL flexing its intellectual property muscle? Perhaps they want to direct anyone looking to be a part of the "NRL community" thorough the NRL's own page. Consolidate all the eyes in one spot. Control the message. And sell the shit out of it.

Leigh

Last edited:

Canard

Immortal
I don't think these corporate pages are really what FB is for or what people care about.

Its basically to keep track of whats happening with your mates, posting photos of you on the piss and stalking ex's.

Id say that 99% of us don't use any of the corporate pages as a source of news. This site is the most up to date source of news for League related stuff for myself and other mainstream news websites.

I reckon this is a gnat's fart in a gale to be honest.

Canard

Immortal
I can see the history books now.

Facebook's declince can be traced back to when Foxsports Australia decided to cancel its page dedicated to NRL, and FB members were unable to post "Benji is a legend" or "Broncos Rule!111"

Eels Dude

Coach
I don't think these corporate pages are really what FB is for or what people care about.

Its basically to keep track of whats happening with your mates, posting photos of you on the piss and stalking ex's.

Id say that 99% of us don't use any of the corporate pages as a source of news. This site is the most up to date source of news for League related stuff for myself and other mainstream news websites.

I reckon this is a gnat's fart in a gale to be honest.

Agreed. There's so many different and better sources to get information, news, and take part in duscussion about the NRL why would anyone bother checking out or becoming a member of Foxsports NRL facebook page. Seems just a waste of time to me.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Agreed. There's so many different and better sources to get information, news, and take part in duscussion about the NRL why would anyone bother checking out or becoming a member of Foxsports NRL facebook page. Seems just a waste of time to me.

well there was enough interest for 4,000

Fox Sports are closing it down so people will then get AFL and other sports news in their Facebook news feeds

AFL fans won't receive NRL news in their feeds though

Canard

Immortal

4,000 is piddling though isn't it when you consider most people have 250 or so friends.

Thats equivalent of 16 or so peoples total friends and family.

Like I said a gnats fart.

Eels Dude

Coach

Fox Sports are closing it down so people will then get AFL and other sports news in their Facebook news feeds

AFL fans won't receive NRL news in their feeds though

4000 people hitting up a thumbs up icon means and achieves what exactly? That's like a grain of sand on the beach when it comes to online media.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Not good signs for the NRL's standing within FoxSports...

They have decided to KEEP AFL (55) and Soccer (3,054) facebook pages but not their no.1 "liked" page, NRL (4,204).

Here is an article they linked with the justification showing all the up to date FB and Twitter feeds: LINK

Feel free to abuse them on in the post they made about the closing of this page, like numerous others.
https://www.facebook.com/foxsportsnrl

actually i just looked and you have misled us

same message here http://www.facebook.com/foxsportsafl

docbrown

Coach
The NRL is the most popular Australian sports league page on facebook. Most people get their FB RL news of there so 4,500 gone from foxsports is a drop in the ocean. It's just less people who would bother signing up to the rest of foxsports FB news - especially if it did get spammed with AFL crap.

On the verge of cracking 400,000 too - 40,000 more than feebleball.