What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fox sports nrl market watch

willzy91

Juniors
The weekly fox sports nrl market watch podcast was uploaded last night which was interesting as they interviewed Millward on our recruitment. Unfortunately for us it wasn't good, stated that we aren't a very desirable club for players to go to which is making it hard to attract the high profile players. He mentioned that we are in the market for a half to partner whiddop still but did say we aren't making a play for Hastings he isn't on their radar at all. Also mentioned as an option we may not even buy a half and just stick with mcCrone and hutch which is a little scary. Though he did say that we are in the market for a new prop as well. Anyways the link is below:

https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?ur...rue&show_user=true&show_reposts=false

BennyV

Referee
27242498.jpg

grouch

First Grade
WOW

If you want to maintain the illusion that we are not utterly, utterly screwed DO NOT LISTEN

Forster Dragon

Juniors
Millward does not inspire confidence in any way.

Would you sign with a club with this deadwood heading Pathways.

Just read comment made by Jack Bird in the Telegraph this morning regarding his pleasure in leaving our sorry mob.

These guys in charge just sit back continually stuffing up ang getting paid for poor performance.

When are they going to be judged on the so called KPIs?

Red V for life

Juniors
Well, we all kind of knew it, but hearing it from the guy who manages our recruitment is sobering and more than a little worrying. The next question is what is being done to change this? I can't see anything being done. If we can't recruit, we can't compete. If we can't compete, we can't survive.

If such a frank admission results in zero action, then we are screwed. The obvious steps are cleaning out HQ...easier said than done...and the coaching staff.

We need to sign someone like a Cronk to give the place a sense of legitimacy.

The other question is if this is why it's hard to recruit, how the hell are we going to retain?

Looks like a very long and painful road ahead.

thestevo888

Juniors
The ONLY hope that I can see is that Gordon puts a broom through the organisation once he is in a position to do so. One doesn't encounter as much corporate success as he has by tolerating mediocrity in one's employees. Need to start praying now...:?

hazzbeen

Bench
Millward does not inspire confidence in any way.

Would you sign with a club with this deadwood heading Pathways.

Just read comment made by Jack Bird in the Telegraph this morning regarding his pleasure in leaving our sorry mob.

These guys in charge just sit back continually stuffing up ang getting paid for poor performance.

When are they going to be judged on the so called KPIs?

Forster Dragon you are spot on , For him to even say no one wants to come here shows they are arrogant and not embarrassed . If I had a job like theirs where you can keep stuffing up and continue to work I would probably be the same . At the present time the lot of them seem untouchable . Very sad to see us in this state as they are all in denial ......:(

True_Believer

Juniors
Not sure where you are getting this from - I had a listen to it and didn't get any doom and gloom out of it. I think he is just being very general in his responses - which I would expect anybody involved in recruitment from any club to be.

He's just not committing to any of the questions - which is a fair response. You don't want everyone knowing who you are targetting or how your recruitment works - it's just common business sense.

dragonreddy

Juniors
I like the comment he says about being comfortable about starting to score some points given the run home that we have and the position we currently sit .

Yeah lets just wait until the season is more than half over before we play some footy. FMD.

Seriously the joint is just stacked with inward looking stooges who are so busy blowing wind up each others arse on what a great job they are doing they can't see the forest for the trees.

The other comment that they sit down and evaluate potential players and put what they think is a fair price on them, hows that working out for you Ian.

FlameThrower

Bench
Is being based in Wollongong another problem? I mean we've signed a bunch of ex Raiders or guys who were born around the area? Other recent signings are more older guys with family, but the younger guys we seem to struggle nabbing? Just a thought and I know our spluttering game plan and Coach may not help us attracting players without paying overs or having a reject fall in our laps?
I so think our current Nomad of home grounds is doing us no favours with crowd numbers and atmosphere !

nrlnrl

First Grade
Well, we all kind of knew it, but hearing it from the guy who manages our recruitment is sobering and more than a little worrying. The next question is what is being done to change this? I can't see anything being done. If we can't recruit, we can't compete. If we can't compete, we can't survive.

If such a frank admission results in zero action, then we are screwed. The obvious steps are cleaning out HQ...easier said than done...and the coaching staff.

We need to sign someone like a Cronk to give the place a sense of legitimacy.

The other question is if this is why it's hard to recruit, how the hell are we going to retain?

Looks like a very long and painful road ahead.

Agree 100%.

Sadly the 'boys club' mentality will have the team rotting in mediocrity while the people who can change the situation just accept it. The apathetic approach will lead to any elite juniors (like Bird) leaving the club to further their career. We will continue to be mentioned as an interested team in signing the superstars & second-tier stars required to turn the team around, but will not be a genuine contender for their signatures.

After reading about this (I couldn't take listening to it), Bruce Gordon or another billionaire is our only hope to break up the 'boys club' & allow this club to compete for premierships.

BennyV

Referee
Just had a listen...I dont see how anyone could take anything positive out of that! I'm not too concerned with what he says about specific players we are chasing and areas we are targeting, but there's plenty of other really poor underlying tones.

The fact that he sees Mary as a good selling point to developing players in laughable, considering how far backwards playersvpd have gone under his coaching.
The fact that he sees the Red V as a good selling point is reflective of the prehistoric mindset of the club that is overseeing our fall into the abyss of irrelevance.
The fact that he openly admits that we struggle to sign players, but doesn't make a hint of any solutions, only lame 'selling points'.

Players will move to a club for 4 reasons. The 3 important ones are 1) Money, 2) Premiership, 3) improve their worth due to improving their own game in a successful system. We have none of these, and don't seem to have any plans to change that in the future.

So we rely on reason 4) they have nowhere else to go.

smi962

First Grade
He should have stated that as our selling point, we are the last chance saloon for players who find themselves in trouble and are not wanted by other clubs.

Red V for life

Juniors
Go the death riders !
You pea hearted clowns would be loving this.

So, anyone who voices genuine concern over our inability to recruit is a death rider and a pea hearted clown who loves the situation we currently find ourselves in rather than a supporter who wants the club to thrive and succeed.

The logic is in there somewhere...

Jubileeboy

First Grade
So, anyone who voices genuine concern over our inability to recruit is a death rider and a pea hearted clown who loves the situation we currently find ourselves in rather than a supporter who wants the club to thrive and succeed.

The logic is in there somewhere...

I guess there are many ways to skin a cat but you have made those assumptions in your above comments, definitely not me. For the record, so you know where I stand:
- I did not state 'I love the situation we are in', you did.
- What makes you think 'I don't want the club to succeed'? Again, you said that, not me.
Seeing as you're a recent contributor, perhaps you may have missed the constant whinging and moaning from some posters? People on here are upset when we win FFS ! Win...beat the opposition...get the 2 pts !
Hang around a while and you'll see for yourself.
Me personally, I love the St George Illawarra Dragons and I really like when we win. I care little for those that constantly attack our club....and every single fkn thing about it.

Latest posts