1. Grand Final Edition OUT NOW:

The 2020 NRL & NRLW Grand Final edition of The Front Row, our exclusive online e-magazine and match programme for Sunday's Grand Final Day! Also includes Super League Round 17 and 18 squads.

The Grand Final edition brings you special stories from each camp - Paul Jobber chats with Panthers legend Scott Sattler recounts his famous moment in the sides 2003 title win and looks to the current crop of Penrith players; while Rob Crosby looks at Josh Addo-Carr as he laces up for what could be his final Storm game. Rick Edgerton has a Clive Churchill Medal guide, while Joshua Wells speaks to Brisbane NRLW star Millie Boyle as the Broncos cruise toward a Women's threepeat on Sunday.

Add to that all the regular features you've come to expect - the programme for both Grand Final Day matches along with teamlists and details for Rounds 17 and 18 of the Super League - and you have one fantastic 32-page magazine for your Grand Final reading!

EDITION 22 - READ NOW!

Guest, click here to read online or download your free PDF copy

Foxtel faces debt milestone amid streaming TV push

Discussion in 'NRL Media Watch' started by Generalzod, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Generalzod

Generalzod Referee

How will this effect the NRL deal??

Foxtel faces debt milestone amid streaming TV push

The true picture of Foxtel's financial health is about to become clearer, with a key debt milestone looming next week.

Foxtel's financial position has been the subject of intense media industry speculation since the News Corp and Telstra-owned company engaged investment banks Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan and Citigroup in early March to help it raise billions of dollars in fresh debt funding.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/com...e-amid-streaming-tv-push-20190331-p519fg.html

T-Boon likes this.
  2. taipan

taipan Referee

Oooh noooooo!!!!
    Down, down ,prices are down.
    Back to street corner bucket collections .

Generalzod likes this.
  3. Generalzod

Generalzod Referee

Imagine Kent with a bucket lol

4. taipan

taipan Referee

Imagine what the bucket would be full of?

5. tri_colours

tri_colours Juniors

could be bitter sweet.

6. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

If it came down to them only buying only one major sports product in Australia it would be interesting to see if it would be AFL or NRL? NRL is the more popular but we know News Ltd still has a stick up its backside about its relationship with NRL..

Looking at the ever increasing growth of Netflix, Stan etc you would think Fox in its current PTV format is on borrowed time and will go the way of DVD's and CD's.

http://www.roymorgan.com/findings/7681-netflix-stan-foxtel-fetch-youtube-amazon-pay-tv-june-2018-201808020452

RL The greatest game likes this.
  7. Captain Apollo

Captain Apollo First Grade

Chunder?

8. taipan

taipan Referee

I was thinking more on the darker side.

9. Stormwarrior82

Stormwarrior82 Juniors

The other question is Stokes (7) and Murdoch (Fox) have been catching up and rumors of a merger have been floated. Which makes sense after News Ltd missed out on 10. Therefore, it would potentially mean a 7/fox, 9/fairfax, 10/cbs with streamers Netflix, amazon, Apple.

When the afl has nothing else to promote for their 2023 deal, it leaves the Nrl in a really good position

10. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

They still have a regular Thursday or Monday night, evening GF etc if the clubs would wear the loss of revenue from fans. TBF I'm not sure they need much more than their current revenue, it is massive already. What else can they spend it on, more womens teams? More Auskick programs?
    Clubs of both codes will want a grant increase but I dont think either code will see the % jump in media deal they have enjoyed over the last decade.

11. Stormwarrior82

Stormwarrior82 Juniors

I agree with you about he afls position and also the fact that neither sport will get a large % increase on the Aus broadcast deal. But the afl don’t have anything more to offer the broadcasters bar more money for women’s teams.
    The Nrl, they have 2 expansion teams to bring it to 18 teams just like the afl but with more viewers, Aus touch comp, a potential 9’s comp (internationals) plus for the first time a structured international calendar. How would that not increase Nrls coffers.

12. RL The greatest game

RL The greatest game Coach

Is this part of the same company that paid over the odds to screen fumbleball to spite Rugby League? :D

Dodgy and titoelcolombiano like this.
  13. Diesel

Diesel Coach

up yours Foxtel/News Ltd :middle_finger::middle_finger::middle_finger: this is for Super League

Edit: it doesn’t come out very clear on this forum but it’s the middle finger emoji

14. Starkers

Starkers Juniors

they've got 4 years to restructure before they worry about AFL and NRL rights again. the interesting part will be super rugby negotiations beginning probably late this year and going into mid next year. i can't see them paying for it, but hey, they've f**ked it up before too.

RL The greatest game likes this.
  15. taipan

taipan Referee

As El Presidente Rupert would say" AFL is our preferred sport, it's national and we will do our utmost to promote it in the Northern States".

Meaning actually "I've got the sh*ts the NRL tried to negotiate behind my back ,to another outlet, no one (repeat no one )outsmarts me,Therefore out of my extremely deep pockets, (in which Jerry Hall is also now dipping)I will seek my revenge, by providing Vic fumble ton with an extra $500m to do as they wish."

16. RL The greatest game

RL The greatest game Coach

On reflection is was a huge mistake on uncle Rupert's part and its costing him big time, but he''s never going to admit to that.

Dodgy, axl rose, taipan and 1 other person like this.
  17. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

More like 2-3, the TV negotiations, if last two deals are anything to go by, will begin around late 2021. Interestingly NRL will get a 12 month jump on AFL as theirs is running a year longer, not sure if that will be a positive or not?

18. Perth Red

Perth Red Immortal

Hopefully he'll be dead by the next deal and whoever takes over will be led more by their head than their heart in negotiations.

TheRam and RL The greatest game like this.
  19. DC_fan

DC_fan Coach

I have subscribed to Foxtel for around 25 years now. Where once I had the full package, now I only have limited access.

I wonder how much that has cost me in that time.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    Generalzod likes this.
  20. Stormwarrior82

Stormwarrior82 Juniors

I have my doubts about Murdoch. Years ago he thought our sport was that good he tried to take it over. He won’t be made to look stupid ...ever! Yes he stated his position at the press conference back then but I also think when the time comes he will let the afl know that he looked after them during this tv deal so they should reciprocate the favor. I hope I’m right.