What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

France's proposed Super 13 Pro League - Which teams?

The Daddy2

Juniors
Well talks are continuing with regards to the development of the French pro league, every week snippets of info is released. The name of the league which has been adopted by leagies in France is Super 13 and teams from Lille, Nantes and Lens are rumoured to be earmarked to be a part of the comp. Below is the list of teams I think should included 13 teams is a bit though.
As an aside if the league does kick off there's no reason why they can't aim to be included in a high end World Club Championship with NRL and English SL teams.

Catalan Dragons
Toulouse Olympique
Avignon Bisons
Leopards of Aquitaine (playing in Bordeaux, training in Villenueve plus taking one or two games there)
Paris
Nantes X111
Montpellier Reds

VictoryFC

Bench
Sounds good that selection. Even though a lot of heartland teams would miss out (Carcassone, Pia, Lezignan), Catalans Dragons do represent that state/province. The only question is, have Catalans indicated they would jump ship? Are they even allowed to contractually? Is there any incentive either?

Got to have Marseille in there surely. And Lyon too.
Where do you play in Marseille though? The soon to be 70,000 Stade Velodrome? From what I can tell, there really isnt any other option in the city of Marseille for stadiums. A bit better in Lyon with Stade Gerland (43,000). The next biggest stadium is 5,600.

There are lots of really good middle size stadiums in France, but they all seem to be outside of the big cities.

Big Sam

First Grade
I know Lyon's Top 14 team play out of a new 8000 seater which would be perfect for RL. Good point regarding Marseille's lack of a small ground but I do think you need a presence along coastal Provence be it Marseille/Nice or even Toulon.

winnyason

Juniors
Won't be a catalans at all, possible for a combined pernignan from what i am reading that they will be franchises invovled very close with soccer pro. I would imagine, ten teams played in stadiums around 10 thousand.
Combined pernignan - AUDE - Lyon (aligned with soccer team) - Toulouse - Bordeux - Marsellie(play some games at avignon) - Nantes -Lillie- lens - montpellier.

That is how i would see it. Elite still bread and butter comp in winter.

Last edited:

PacificCoastRL

Juniors
I think the proposed Super 13 would be great for rugby league, not only in France, but also worldwide. Especially if, with everything we have heard coming out of France in the past months is all related, it will be a first-class venture, with money and television behind it. Here are my two cents in respect to teams - Marseille, Paris, Lyon, Toulouse, Bordeaux, Aude, Avignon and either Catalans or Barcelona. I think Catalans would be the obvious choice, but could the club run two first class teams, or would the Dragons leave Super League and return to a French comp. Barcelona would be great as well, but they would definately be in the rumoured Spanish comp if that comes off.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
file.php

file.php

file.php

And the project appears in the mainstream media. (Midi Olympique)...interesting times.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
It basically talks of exploring the possibility of creating league clubs within soccer clubs and possibly playing the games as curtain raisers to Div2 soccer games.

The rest is up to you to decipher!

Latest posts