What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Free Agency 2022

shiznit

Coach

That Adams deal also had the affect that it priced Hill out of the Chief’s… 😂😂

Zeigler is next level… 😂😂

Eelectrica

Referee
Chiefs look done for a while.

Also looks like Miami are playing this season after all.
OL signing, now Hill. We just need Tua to git gud. Something to look forward to at least.

Dumb dumb Grier would only screw up the draft picks anyway, so might as well trade them for a decent player I guess.

Munky

Coach
Anyone else reckon the test of the League isn't touching Baker to force the Browns to further weaken themselves.

They already gave away a heap of draft capital to get Watson, may as well force them to lose more to get under the cap.

dogslife

Coach
Anyone else reckon the test of the League isn't touching Baker to force the Browns to further weaken themselves.

They already gave away a heap of draft capital to get Watson, may as well force them to lose more to get under the cap.
Browns will have to cut him 100%. You can't tell me a team like Seattle, sitting there with Drew Lock as their QB is thinking they're set. Not saying Baker Mayfield is a guaranteed NFL starting calibre QB, but he's better than what a few teams have got, it's just about price at this point

Munky

Coach
Browns will have to cut him 100%. You can't tell me a team like Seattle, sitting there with Drew Lock as their QB is thinking they're set. Not saying Baker Mayfield is a guaranteed NFL starting calibre QB, but he's better than what a few teams have got, it's just about price at this point

That's the thing, the Browns I believe are over the cap unless he is traded. Cutting him I think still counts against the cap.

They may have to pay to get rid of him and everyone knows it.

shiznit

Coach
That's the thing, the Browns I believe are over the cap unless he is traded. Cutting him I think still counts against the cap.

They may have to pay to get rid of him and everyone knows it.

yeah I’m not sure what your meaning there..

I’m pretty sure the Browns are okay for a number of reasons..

- they should already under the cap… as every team has to be under the cap by the first day of the league year… which was last week.

- In order for them to sign Watson last week they had to fit him in with Bakers contract included.

- From what i posted earlier it says Watson’s base salary for the first year is 1m… which was to circumvent any league penalty… but would probably allow them space for him and Baker.

- Baker’s money is fully guaranteed so even if they trade him I’m pretty sure they would still have to eat his money for this year.

- Baker is an unrestricted Free agent next season so they aren’t on the hook for anymore money going forward.

the only motivation the Browns really have for trading him is getting picks back… for locker room chemistry and of course the roster spot.

I think they will just wait it out until final roster cuts and hope a team has an injury and is desperate enough to trade for him…

Munky

Coach
My error I thought I read somewhere that if Watson isn't sanctioned by the league his salary will count to the cap and they'd need to trade Baker to avoid dead money if they cut him.

jaseg

Juniors
The Browns cut Landry, Tretter and Hooper (with a June designation on the Hooper deal to push some dead money into the '23 cap), and Watson is only on the books at a 10m cap hit this season. They're under the cap and have space to make a signing or two still. Landry may end up back there at a lower rate, same with Clowney.

The Baker hesitation is simple imo: starting spots around the league are almost all filled, and there are 2 vets left to be traded - nobody is going to be desperate, so why pay to take a significant cap hit on a player with just 1 year of control left?

Indy went Ryan, who is the safer option over the next couple of years and was probably cheaper (picks wise) at that point. Atlanta couldn't afford Baker, their cap is completely f**ked and I'm not sure there's even much room to open more space. Even if they did it's just pushing a major problem down the road while getting rid of your franchise QB in the same window (not to mention losing all of your starting receivers across 2 consecutive offseasons)... doesn't make sense. Dimitroff chased the successful year and sold off future assets (cap space) to do so, but could never replace Shanahan - they're paying for it now.

Panthers... who the f**k knows. Their GM seems shit. Dude went out and specifically targeted some seriously shitty OL guys last year (signed day 1 of free agency, so we know they were priority targets). I don't understand what they've done there at all, and I guess they're gun shy after giving away far too much for shitty Darnold? - who they're still on the hook for at the same rate as Baker.

Seahawks may be waiting but unwilling to spend draft capital to take on that cap hit. I guess they might be happy to take Lock into a season and draft someone like Ridder in day 2, and only bother with a vet if they get them cheap.

Jimmy G is in a similar boat, though maybe he lands in Carolina (because surely the 49ers won't trade him to Seattle) and Baker either winds up on the Seahawks or sits out the year with agreement from the Browns, similar to Watson and the Texans last year. I can't imagine they want him in the locker room after going after his character in public. Shit, the 'adult in the room' comments were amazing given who they were chasing (and got). The guy who kept making himself available through a shitload of injuries vs the guy who refused to play for his last team a year after signing a contract and is currently dealing with 22 civil sexual assault cases.

/essay

shiznit

Coach
All it takes is an injury to a QB on a win now team and a cascade effect goes through the league with teams taking a chance in QB’s with an upside.

Whether the Browns get picks or not would depend on if TWO teams get desperate enough.

kurt faulk

Coach

God damn I f**king love the nfl man. Everyone trying to get better. Everyone trying get the edge and they'll do anything to get there. Picks, money, whatever.

Love it.

kurt faulk

Coach

And the best part of it is that Mcvay and Snead broke the nfl. These guys are next level crazy and the rest of the nfl just caught up.

Can't cut this guy because of the cap hit? Mcvay didn't think twice about cutting gutley. Trading cooks. They took their medicine and moved on. Can't get rid of your franchise qb? Mcvay moved Goff as soon as he didn't see it happening with him and traded away 1st rounders like candy to get their guy.

Let's see how the rest of the nfl fare in this new nfl.