What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French Update?

Storm13

Juniors
I've heard in general some news regarding Toulouse and Carcassonne aiming for super league 2, also London Broncos have picked up a player from the French league and their also seem to be more French player in general going to UK in the lower grades ect.

Just wanted to get a run down on all French happenings if anyone here knows what is going on?

Storm13

Juniors
It's frustrating trying to decode the French forums with google. Nothing makes sense.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Carcassonne have no aspirations for Super League. Toulouse are aiming for SL2 in 2016 as they need work done to their stadium to bring it up to SL standard (10,000 places).

hutch

First Grade
Carcassonne have no aspirations for Super League. Toulouse are aiming for SL2 in 2016 as they need work done to their stadium to bring it up to SL standard (10,000 places).

I read something recently that carcassone were aiming for super league.

CQ Italia

Juniors
posted on TOTAL RL

"Apparently targetting a place inside next 5 years according to todays paper. After a disappointing season here have appointed a new manager - Laurent Garnier a Catalan who played for the Canaris early in his playing career. He has spent the last seven years in Brisbane coaching the Juniors at Wynnum-Manly. He will be assisted at Domec from September by Vincent Banet and Alex Couttet. Some story doing the rounds here of a new corporate investment so I think thats got some of the locals a bit excited. But ASC still have some clout and can get support out when needed. Ideal location and more than a decent stadium. With Catalans still the most celebrated of all French clubs."

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
Yes there is, economics and British apathy. Perpignan does alright because they attract the pale skinned pom to their sand and sun. Toulouse, whilst culturally superior, is not quite as attractive as Perpignan in this respect. And British fans will probably limit their overseas trip to one a year, favouring Perpignan. So it is already doubtful Toulouse will have much away support making the trip over the Channel. Luckily, Toulouse is a relatively large population basin and economically stronger, so this is obviously useful.

Once they get in they will probably attract support from Carcassonne, only an hour away on the train, meaning the odds of another SL club being created there are realistically slim. The only other logical hope would be Avignon, but they are a long way off.

To top it off, we all know that British fans generally dislike french clubs playing in their championships.

Having two french clubs in SL1 would already do wonders. It remains to be seen whether this will eventuate sustainably.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
It appears that some in Carcassonne have high aspirations for SL, but I doubt it will ever happen. Toulouse must surely be a priority for all concerned.

Carcassonne. Jean Guilhem passera la main à Matthieu Monier à la présidence

Le président Guilhem entouré des élus de la ville, du département et de la régio Le public fidèle de l'ASC XIII.

Ce que l'on savait déjà a bien été confirmé, Jean Guilhem, l'actuel président de l'ASC XIII, passera la main à Matthieu Monier, pour préparer sa candidature (dans deux ans) à la présidence de la Fédération française de rugby à XIII. C'est ce qu'il a confirmé, lundi soir, lors de l'assemblée générale du club, devant une centaine de dirigeants et entouré de Jean Depaule, Paul Escourrou, le nouvel adjoint aux sports de la ville de Carcassonne ; Pierre Rayssac, le doyen du club ; Henry Garino (conseil régional) ; Tamara Rivel (conseil général et CAC).

Assemblée générale sans problème, sous contrôle, pour la première fois, d'un huissier de justice, Me Durand.

Tout a été noté, vérifié et notamment l'élection des quarante et un membres au comité directeur, qui portera à la présidence, dans quelques jours, Matthieu Monier.

On a retenu que trente-quatre joueurs avaient composé l'effectif de l'élite 1 (dont cinq stagiaires, deux juniors et deux réservistes) et que l'équipe était arrivée jusqu'en finale de la Coupe de France (perdue contre Toulouse) et le tout avec un budget de plus d'un million d'euros.

Au nom de la mairie, Paul Escourrou a confirmé le soutien de la vile et ajouté qu'il y aurait une aide supplémentaire pour accéder à la Super League, objectif du futur président d'ici à cinq ans, avant de conclure : «Ce club est un joyau de la vitrine de Carcassonne. Il ne faut pas être jaloux de l'USC XV. Carcassonne a deux grands clubs de rugby et nous en sommes fiers».

Tamara Rivel (conseil général et CAC) et Henry Garino ont aussi dit soutenir ce «club mythique».

Depuis huit ans à la présidence, Jean Guilhem s'est dit heureux d'avoir fait renaître une «flamme vacillante».

«Je n'ai ni remords, ni lassitude. Ce club a une âme et je sais que son avenir est certain, avec Matthieu Monier, mon fils spirituel, qui va me succéder».

RedVee

First Grade
It appears that some in Carcassonne have high aspirations for SL, but I doubt it will ever happen. Toulouse must surely be a priority for all concerned.

I wouldn't have thought Carcassonne was a big enough town to support an EPL club... But then again some of the English towns aren't that big either (I'm told on this board).

100%green

Juniors
What is the comp structure like in France now? I remember there was meant to be some new elite comp this year or last year. Did that happen

Storm13

Juniors
Seems to be a few more French players jumping over to Super League and the Championship with the Bulls and Broncos next year which is good to see.

Will the depth of Catalans be replaced with other young French players starting next year?

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Seems to be a few more French players jumping over to Super League and the Championship with the Bulls and Broncos next year which is good to see.

Will the depth of Catalans be replaced with other young French players starting next year?

There needs to be a lot more opportunities for French kids as the French juniors are always very competitive but a lot of them are pinched by French Union. If we have more opportunities for these kids then it will bode well for French Rugby League.

But it is good to see more and more players from France go to the UK as the French side need depth.