What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Frizell: Surgery Needed To Happen

getsmarty

Immortal
Frizell: Surgery Needed To Happen

Wed 13th January, 07:00AM A A

St George Illawarra Dragons second-rower Tyson Frizell is enjoying the instant relief afforded from his recent back-surgery over the holiday period break.
The Wales international underwent the operation to correct a lumbar disk bulge after consultation with a surgeon prior to Christmas having carried the injury on-and-off for the majority of last season.

The local Corrimal Cougars junior and has since commenced his rehabilitation this week and is presently responding well to his light duties program involving both swimming and bike work.
Frizell was recently forced to rule himself out of the inaugural NRL World All-Stars squad due to the recovery process which includes a projected time frame of up to twelve weeks before he can commence any skills or contact training.
“It’s an injury that I was carrying quite a bit during last season and about three weeks into the pre-season it reoccurred,” said Frizell.
“Two weeks on from that it began to get a lot worse and ultimately I had to seek a surgeon’s opinion which was the best thing for me.
“I underwent the surgery just before the Christmas break and three weeks on from the surgery everything feels good.
“The surgery has provided me instant relief to the area and I have been able to walk around pain-free which brings a smile to my face.
“I’ve been informed that the usual recovery from this kind of surgery is up to three months depending on how everything pulls-up.
“We’re aiming for me at the moment to start the season but whether that takes a couple more weeks is something I will discuss with the medical staff.
“I want to make sure everything is alright so that something like this doesn’t happen again.
“I have been trying to remain fit by doing a lot of swimming as well as bike work as well as my assigned rehabilitation exercises.

“I had been looking forward to being a part of the inaugural NRL World All Stars team but unfortunately selection came at a time when I needed to get my body right and that was the decision I made.
“I didn’t want to have an up-and-down season again so surgery was ultimately the best thing for me.”

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2016/...gery_need.html

Shadow Dragon

Juniors
He is needed for surgery so he is in doubt for round one and the nines. We can still cover Tyson with someone else. He is not a huge loss with the size we have in the forwards for this year but would still love to have him against Melbourne

Slippery Morris

First Grade
With the great depth they have they can afford to rest him until he is 100% fit. No need to rush him as he is a crucial player for the Dragons and makes a huge difference when he is on the field. Can't wait to see the backrow containing Thompson and Frizell.

BennyV

Referee
He is needed for surgery so he is in doubt for round one and the nines. We can still cover Tyson with someone else. He is not a huge loss with the size we have in the forwards for this year but would still love to have him against Melbourne

He is most certainly a huge loss - as much as Matthews or another option could step in, they won't have anywhere near the impact as Friz.

However, its better to cop losing him in round 1-3 than letting it fester and losing him late in the season.

Old Timer

Coach

No he is not a huge loss for us in fact he is a massive loss for us.

He was on the verge of SOO none of our existing bench or new back row signings are even close to that level of ability.

Whilst we have better depth on paper the opposition in the first 3 rounds will all be ecstatic he won't playing against them

Jubileeboy

First Grade
No he is not a huge loss for us in fact he is a massive loss for us.

He was on the verge of SOO none of our existing bench or new back row signings are even close to that level of ability.

Whilst we have better depth on paper the opposition in the first 3 rounds will all be ecstatic he won't playing against them

Might be a little bit of 'sportsmanship' in that announcement OT?
I'd be fairly certain and probably more so hopeful, the Dragons medical staff would have known about this some time ago and planned his recovery to coincide with the commencement of 2016 comp.
In saying that, he could genuinely need further recovery time to make sure he is 100%.
Any time Frizz isn't playing puts us at a disadvantage.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra player Tyson Frizell’s spirits buoyed on operating table by text from Dragons teammate Dylan Farrell

January 27, 2016 7:00amSimon BrunsdonFOX SPORTS
origin:video_integrator.JzNHJmMDE6JaM8BRX76FR-C3QNJSYE3f

EVEN in his darkest hour, Tyson Frizell knew his rugby league career wasn’t going to be ended by a degenerative back injury.
As the Dragons wrecking ball lay in hospital awaiting surgery just after Christmas, he was buoyed by the support of friends, family, and a text message from a teammate.
Fellow St George Illawarra player Dylan Farrell is facing the prospect of being forced into retirement at the age of 24 due to his own back injury.
Farrell hasn’t returned to training with the club this season and his future remains under a cloud.
Red V coach Paul McGregor said last month the injury was so bad Farrell couldn’t lift his own children.
But even amid his own struggles, Farrell took the time to comfort his mate who was questioning his own future in the game.

v1

“I had a couple of issues last year around the same time as Dyl, and when it happened again Dyl actually messaged me,” Frizell told Fox Sports.
“It was tough to realise I actually had to go in and have surgery.
“There’s a lot of thoughts that go through your mind at the time, whether you’re able to come back from things like that.
“I had a lot of support behind me, the club was there and also my family and friends.
“You try not to get those thoughts in your mind because it makes the whole situation a lot worse.”
Frizell, also 24 years old, was forced to leave NSW Origin camp last year when the back complaint flared up.
It hampered him throughout the 2015 season but regressed during the off-season rest period.
He returned to training in November eagre to attack the new season, but during a routine training drill it all came unstuck.
“It was a big session on the field, I pulled up a bit sore, then trying to pick up some weights and it just went,” Frizell explained.
“It’s hard to explain ... when you know you know, it just goes and you’re not able to move freely.
“I wasn’t able to do day-to-day things like sitting down or walking around properly.
“Your back is something you don’t want to mess around with, and a lot of people told me the priority is to live pain-free when you finish footy.
“Things that you take for granted, it scares you, wondering whether that pain is going to go away.
“As soon as I got it done it was kind of a surreal feeling, to have no pain and being able to walk freely.”
Surgeons operated on a bulging disc and removed fragments of bone that had been “pinching” nerves in Frizell’s back.
origin:video_integrator.hybjJlMDE6MbaHmOm6EmsfZOBugudqJl

He has returned to light duties with the Dragons and says the pain is fast becoming a distant memory.
Frizell remains in doubt for the opening round of the NRL season on March 7 but says he will be pushing coach McGregor to include him in the trip down to Melbourne.
His attention will then turn to Origin, for which he is considered a strong chance to make Laurie Daley’s NSW team, having earned a place in camp last year.
Frizell says he will be waiting for the call-up from Daley.
“I’ll be ready no matter what,” Frizell said.
“I got that taste last year with being a part of the squad and it just made me that much more hungry.”

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l/news-story/2badab31f869030f00999b59c3219862
http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...l/news-story/2badab31f869030f00999b59c3219862

denis preston

First Grade
I thought farrell was done and dusted ? Has the Dan Hunt scenario with the club waiting on insurance payment to pay him out for year ?