What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

from the other side..good times ahead

hi tragic dragons fans, very long time lurker, full supporter of the st. george illawarra dragons. i'm from the steelers side. stick with me..

passionate illawarra supporter. run a fb page called illawarra steelers fanatics. the page is very pro the merger.

we feel the same as you guys. we want success and want the super club like we were promised.

the illawarra steelers, okay we don't have the history like st. george but we do in so many ways. maybe the steelers didn't win all those comps but we have produced so many amazing players. we continue to do so. the dragons wouldn't of won the comp in 2010 without the illawarra born players.

feeling great things are ahead for the dragons in 2021. once again we have some awesome juniors about to come through.

this is the main thing we need to do as a club from now. felt for paul mcgregor, he is a steelers legend but also a st. george illawarra legend. he did his best under the circumstances. anyone that has ever spoken to him, he is the nicest guy. so good times ahead. l

let's have some peace between the sides of the merger. bring on 2021 can feel great things are coming.

Como Connection

First Grade
hi tragic dragons fans, very long time lurker, full supporter of the st. george illawarra dragons. i'm from the steelers side. stick with me..

passionate illawarra supporter. run a fb page called illawarra steelers fanatics. the page is very pro the merger.

we feel the same as you guys. we want success and want the super club like we were promised.

the illawarra steelers, okay we don't have the history like st. george but we do in so many ways. maybe the steelers didn't win all those comps but we have produced so many amazing players. we continue to do so. the dragons wouldn't of won the comp in 2010 without the illawarra born players.

feeling great things are ahead for the dragons in 2021. once again we have some awesome juniors about to come through.

this is the main thing we need to do as a club from now. felt for paul mcgregor, he is a steelers legend but also a st. george illawarra legend. he did his best under the circumstances. anyone that has ever spoken to him, he is the nicest guy. so good times ahead. l

let's have some peace between the sides of the merger. bring on 2021 can feel great things are coming.
A big welcome pal, look forward to your input.
CC

Dragsters

First Grade

GO THE MIGHTIES!!!

felt for paul mcgregor, he is a steelers legend but also a st. george illawarra legend. he did his best under the circumstances. anyone that has ever spoken to him, he is the nicest guy. so good times ahead.

He did his best under the circumstances? Like that justifies the years of abject failure.

He is the nicest guy? By that do you mean that he is socially cordial, even warm? But surely you don't mean of good character - someone who has insight and places the welfare of the club he purportedly loves above his own ambitions and self interests. And most certainly you don't mean he is a good coach?

Straight Shooter

Last edited:

to_ddeath

Coach
He did his best under the circumstances? Like that justifies the years of abject failure.

He is the nicest guy? By that do you mean that he is socially cordial, even warm? But surely you don't mean of good character - someone who has insight and places the welfare of the club he purportedly loves above his own ambitions and self interests. And most certainly you don't mean he is a good coach?

Straight Shooter

agree...anyone who can get away with over 6 years of failure & destruction in a role they were never cut out for, until it catches up with them cannot be a nice person.
This misnomer keeps getting revived & has to stop.

merahputih

Juniors
Glad you've emerged from the shadows, Pinball. I don't doubt that McGregor had many good qualities. Unfortunately few of them related to his seven years of mediocrity and the hole he dug which is going to take years for the club to climb out of. Obviously lack of self esteem was not one of his shortcomings: the sense of entitlement evidenced by his demand for certainty about his position next season, the endless list of excuses, the reported sulking about recruitment being taken out of his hands....the list goes on.
Mary was a great club man and a talented player but he only has himself to blame, along with the board members who kept him on life support, if this record is tarnished by his subsequent coaching record.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
McGregors greatest strength was his narcissism, which ultimately proved to he his greatest weakness.

WIN Corp is another storey, which at present, is leading us down a very dark hole. However, in saying that, recent events have at least flickered a dim light at the end of the tunnel.

As for Illawarra, happy to have this as our nursery and pathway for our players. They (Illawarra) are not the issue.

Glad you've emerged from the shadows, Pinball. I don't doubt that McGregor had many good qualities. Unfortunately few of them related to his seven years of mediocrity and the hole he dug which is going to take years for the club to climb out of. Obviously lack of self esteem was not one of his shortcomings: the sense of entitlement evidenced by his demand for certainty about his position next season, the endless list of excuses, the reported sulking about recruitment being taken out of his hands....the list goes on.
Mary was a great club man and a talented player but he only has himself to blame, along with the board members who kept him on life support, if this record is tarnished by his subsequent coaching record.

On the surface and by his conduct, I can see why you have dismissed the “ lack of self esteem” as a pattern, but just thinking about his strange behaviour, I am beginning to think, this is the underlying cause of all of his issues.

I will have a think about it and develop it further.

But I’m totally on board with your concern about the challenges of demaryfication.

I’m not making an direct analogy, but after ww2, the allies had a lot of problems removing the footprints of that rogue regime from everyday German life.

In one example, Marys failure to accept responsibility at any level was diametrically opposed to the “honesty” sessions say Management by Design we’re trying to instill.

Players were confused as to values. None of it was adding up.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
My team has won 16 premierships.

I dont give a rats how some want to count them...
Long held jealousy is still in the minds of some in the NRL. These people are at long last having fun sinking the boot into the once super performer of the Rugby League competition in Australia.

We will return to those dizzy heights; appointing Griffin is the first step.

Latest posts