What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Front Doors sticking at home

Raider_69

Post Whore
Quick one guys,

A couple of doors, namely my front door and the exterior door that goes down to our under ground parking are sticking quite bad. You've really got to exert some force on them to push them open once unlocked.

a) What are some quick fixes i can try to solve the problem?
b) should they fail, what sort of tradie is best to call to fix the problem?

Any advise would be helpful!

Cheers

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Does it vary with the weather ?

ie: worse when its really cold but OK when its not ?

If so its minor and the building moves with the changes in weather.

Assuming its timber door frame you just need to remove the door and plane the parts that are fouling on the door jamb. If you're a douche with power tools find a mate at the pub who is a carpenter.

If its metal frame its not so easy, either way if you cant do it you need a carpenter.

Raider_69

Post Whore
Does it vary with the weather ?

ie: worse when its really cold but OK when its not ?

If so its minor and the building moves with the changes in weather.

Assuming its timber door frame you just need to remove the door and plane the parts that are fouling on the door jamb. If you're a douche with power tools find a mate at the pub who is a carpenter.

If its metal frame its not so easy, either way if you cant do it you need a carpenter.

Does seem to be getting worse the colder it gets. Thanks twizzle ill chat to a carpenter and see what he thinks

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Try tightening the screws on the hinges while you have a 2nd person physically holding the door upright - that should hold it in position if the doors are being stuck by dragging along the floor
Handyman.

Thats actually a possibility.

I just assumed that these things are already ticked off but yeh, check your hinges and tighten with a screw driver if possible particularly the top one. Sometimes its just loose hinges and they are coming adrift from the door jamb.

If they are already tight then call the handyman. Its really not a big job and if you know someone it wouldn't even be a carton.

Mine do it as well on the bedroom doors...they come right in the summer.

If you keep on planing them it will put the door out of whack...not recommended.

gUt

Coach
I thought it might have been a Christian spell or something because I recently told a pack of JW's to go away and not come back and then shut said door in their gormless faces.

Be careful people, they have spooky powers.

Raider_69

Post Whore
you dont have much choice if it wont shut

Im not having THAT much of a hassle with it, but the wife is now 20 weeks pregnant and is struggling more with it. It will be the end of me if i dont get it fixed soon, she's been bugging me for weeks about it :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
fmd, another little R_69 running around

congrats mate, get the door fixed soon cuz you soon wont have time to scratch yourself

JoeD

First Grade
If it really is minor you can try some bees wax or soap to lube the door/frame till it rights itself in spring.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
would sanding the bits which stick help or make things worse? i have no idea just thinking it might be a quicker fix than sanding

Mr Saab

Referee

congrats mate, get the door fixed soon cuz you soon wont have time to scratch yourself

This is true R69....we painted, had new carpet installed, blinds, lights.....if we did that now we would be screwed

Raider_69

Post Whore

:lol: scary huh?
Thanks mate. Pretty pumped about it.

Gonna give the bees wax a go, see if that can fix it for the winter

Raider_69

Post Whore
This is true R69....we painted, had new carpet installed, blinds, lights.....if we did that now we would be screwed

The wife must know about this thing because she is all over me getting the things around the house done before the baby comes.

Lambretta

First Grade
Replace the wooden doors with UPVC ones

They don't expand and retract with cold / damp / heat etc - they also come with nice built in draft excluders - perfect for life in the ACT

fowlster

Juniors
Hey Raider,

If you're still having problems, pm me.
I do this sort of thing for a living.

And I work for beer :D

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
That's weird, our front door just started sticking too.

So has mine, it's the recent spate of cool, wet weather that does it. The damp gets into the wood and causes it to expand making the doors stick. once we have some warm, dry weather to wood with dry out and contract again.

Latest posts