What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

frustrated

eels4lyf

I'm not even a dogs supporter and i was so frustrated with them tonight. I really dont like the dogs and i'm sure plenty out there hate us, but i always like seeing a good game of footy whoever it is. Willie tonga had a shocker as did cutler, but at least cutler was interested . . . tonga looked as though he couldnt care less about the jumper he is wearing or the guys he is playing with.

You guys have arguably the best forward pack in the comp, and IMO o'meley looks uninterested also.

Positives though, le temarri looks good, and i will say this . . .

If daniel holdsworth is not the best 5/8 in nsw at the momment i will watch another game. I know you guys would rather him play for the dogs, but he should have that 6 jumper wrapped up he is awesome. You guys will come good . . . :)

innsaneink

Referee
Funny you say that....I got the same impression about Tonga too, and a few other dogs players tonite, the fire we expect didnt seem to be there.

i can only hope we come good, hopefully we can bounce back next week against the knights, our peformance was very dissapointing tonight, and full credit to the tigers they played well tonight.

mattyg

Bench
ffs Tonga and Cutler frustrated the hell out of me...6 errors between the two of them, plus some very sloppy defence to back it up. Back to PL Cutler...

jimmythehand

Juniors
6 errors between them? I counted 6 times that Tonga dropped the ball himself. And if Cutler stays in FG and we make the finals you just know he's going to stuff things up at a crucial time - he just doesn't have the temperament of a quality first grader.

Some of the decision making from the Dogs was poor too. We just scored to make it 22-12 and were making huge yards and Sherwin kicks on the 4th tackle over the dead ball line. We should have got to over the half way line and put an attacking kick in or even had a run at them and tried to put back to back tries on - that play took the momentum right away from us.

After we scored again to make it 26-18 again Sherwin kicked early in the tackle count again, it's like he thought we were ahead or something. You can't score points kicking the ball away. Other than that I loved watching sherwin run round.

Some of the refereeing decisions took a lot of momentum away from us too, not that we deserved anything to go our way the way we played. Andrew Ryan penalised for a flop when the Tigers player was almost through the defence shouldn't have been a penalty. A tigers player wasn't at marker and rushed back to make a tackle should have been penalised. I'm not sure Sonny Bill knocked the ball on when it was called. All of these were at stages crucial to a comeback, but as I said we didn't deserve to win anyway.

How smart were the Tigers? I think Hodgson's play summed up the night. Dummied left which took Patten out of position and kicked right for the try to be scored. I thought that was brilliant. The Tigers simply outsmarted and out enthused us tonight.

This season is smelling like 2005 to me. We don't have the injuries this time round but we have the same attitude and application on the field. We have intensity for like 5 minutes out of 80 and that's only when the situation gets desperate. It's like we're in cruise control and only step up when we think we need to - but by then its too late. If we don't start matches with the intensity we're capable of and keep it up for long periods then it's going to be a very long year.

Tonga, Cutler and Hughes have got to go and out of those Tonga should be the only one with a chance of getting back in 1st grade.

One of our biggest problems is ball security or lack of. We seem to knock the ball on so many times this season and usually at crucial times. Very frustrating.

I think O'Meley needs to get this contract negotiations out of the way because its clearly on his mind and he isn't playing to his usual standard. He might struggle to get into Origin this year if he continues this form.

Not sure whats happening with Tonga. We have all seen what he can do but he is so far away from that right now. As for Cutler I've been impressed with him this season. Even when he dropped the pill that lead to the try he still got in the next set of 6 for a hitup and dug in. Not sure how Utai is progressing but its going to be interesting to see what side Folkes names after he said changes were guaranteed.

TeMaari looks good doesn't he ? Very busy and a high workrate. Could he be another young forward looking for a better opportunity and we turn him into something better ? Lets hope so.

Remember titles aren't won in April :)

Blake Dean

Juniors
With a coach like Folkes, is it any wonder the Dogs continue to disappoint? What is their long term objective, to become the next St George Illawarra?

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The same Folkes who's taken us to two Grand Finals, countless finals series, a premiership - and is the second longest serving current club coach at one club.

Ridders

Coach
whats wrong with Folkes, i think he's a great coach. Um i dunno about your comparison with St. George because the dogs have won a premiership with folkes, more than St. George- Illawarra can ever say

Blake Dean

Juniors
Ridders said:
whats wrong with Folkes, i think he's a great coach. Um i dunno about your comparison with St. George because the dogs have won a premiership with folkes, more than St. George- Illawarra can ever say

The bloke is a dud. Ok, they've won a premiership, what have they done recently, apart from flatter to decieve. With their roster the Dogs should be up with the Storm, you can't just blame it on the players.

Folkes obviously doesn't know how to handle the talent at his disposal. Maybe he'd fair better with a lesser side.

Timmah

Staff member
:roll:

Pathetic. When the chips are down, blame the coach. Get a life.

A dud doesn't keep a team at such an incredibly professional level for such a long time. Only one real dip in 2005 (and the obvious 2002) and they were both due to external factors - 05 injuries and 02 cap rort. He's taken us to a premiership and in most other years a week short of the Grand Final. He's fine by me, and he'll take us there again this year. It's R7 ffs.

Blake Dean

Juniors
Dodger said:
The same Folkes who's taken us to two Grand Finals, countless finals series, a premiership - and is the second longest serving current club coach at one club.

If that's what suits you fine.

Timmah

Staff member
Of course it's what suits me. I'd much rather that than changing coaches every 2 or 3 seasons and results consistently in the bottom half of the comp. That's a culture that hasn't been around at Canterbury in a very long time - a culture Anderson and Folkes don't accept and as such implement in their coaching styles. You'd have to go back to the 70's era to find a consistently poor era at the 'Dogs.

Blake Dean

Juniors
Dodger said:
Of course it's what suits me. I'd much rather that than changing coaches every 2 or 3 seasons and results consistently in the bottom half of the comp. That's a culture that hasn't been around at Canterbury in a very long time - a culture Anderson and Folkes don't accept and as such implement in their coaching styles. You'd have to go back to the 70's era to find a consistently poor era at the 'Dogs.

I find Folkes to be very taciturn, uncomfortable with the media and with the wider sport of rugby league, that's what galls me as much as anything. Plus the obvious fact that I've already outlined: he can't handle the job of being the coach of these individuals that the Bulldogs have at this moment. It is only round seven, but I'll bet you he'll struggle to get them into the eight.

Ridders

Coach
i don't think it matters whether folkes isn't good with the media, its not what he's paid to do. Bottom line is that, as dodger said, the dogs have been consistently been a good team for a long time, bar the 05 season, and credit for that has to go to folkes. Tell me how many other clubs have been able to achieve this level of consistency over the years since the start of this century. Besides the broncos and possibly the dragons, i can't think of too many others

obviouslyrat

Juniors
you cant take anything away from folkes. Just because we're currently in a form slump doesnt mean all the blame has to go to the coach. Fine, we have like the best forward pack on paper, and with that kind of forward pack we should be dominating week in week out, but its not folkes fault. You say that we should be up there with the storm?? Well..i think premierships arent won during the first quarter of the season. we're down in the bottom half of the ladder, what makes you think we'll stay down here. Folkes has been Mr. Consistent for like decades. We should get into the top 8 in no time, and when we start getting the momentum on our side, we will be devastating.

PS. We should just forget about 05...But the thing is, everyone has a bad season after they win a premiership. Tigers didnt make top 8 in 06, and look at the broncos this year, 2from 7.