What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Full Member nations

deal.with.it

Juniors
Hoping for some discussion on the progressing of developing nations becoming full members of the RLIF.
It was stipulated that nations participating in WC 2017 must be full members.

Hopefully the likes of Spinner, Lawrence, Danny and Ryan (the last 3 absent from this forum for some time) from the USA, and anyone in the know in Italy could share some insight into their progress.

I know Italy have been running some youth training. And their senior comp was the biggest yet, but still 6 rounds long before a semi final and then final.

In the US the comp is only, what, 8 rounds before semis and final? Also the youth rugby in Rhode Island seems to have gone quiet... probably with Lawrence now working full time etc.

And for those that aren't in the know, what do you think should happen for the USA and Italy (pending qualification) if they aren't yet full members?

deluded pom?

Coach
If the RLIF have the courage of their convictions then theoretically the USA and Italy (if they qualify) shouldn't be allowed to participate if they are not full members at the time the 2017 WC kicks off. In reality this is highly unlikely to happen The RLIF will either turn a blind eye or bend their own rules (not for the first time). If they want to go down this path then all teams, even those attempting to qualify, should be full members when qualification games commence or the RLIF is simply setting themselves up for more unnecessary criticism.

langpark

First Grade
Guys there are too many flaws in this system to even begin analysing, so I will keep this short.

One word: Scotland.

Look at their current situation, and the fact that they're full members. Makes a mockery of the entire system.

adamkungl

Immortal
Why have the rule in the first place if it will be completely ignored.

Also how is Scotland so poor? How does Canada manage to get something happening from the other side of the ocean while Scotland can't pull a decent comp or div 3 team together from up the road.

jim_57

Staff member

Also how is Scotland so poor? How does Canada manage to get something happening from the other side of the ocean while Scotland can't pull a decent comp or div 3 team together from up the road.

Always wondered this, even a little niche following and league 1 team in the Scotland and Ireland would be good but seems so far away.

Maybe it just comes down to having the right people and a bit of luck, Toronto was a far more absurd prospect than Edinburgh or Dublin before Eric Perez came along..

langpark

First Grade

I guess the main reason for that is that they'd be at risk of having less full members than there are WC spots! If we're strictly looking at the criteria, there are a lot of full members that are dodgy and perhaps not properly meeting criteria. All the pacific nations for example. We assume they're ok because they have star-studded national sides, but what is the real grassroots situation on the the ground in say, Samoa, Tonga and in the Cooks? I think we're still 2-3 years away from being in a position to strictly enforce the rules, until a few more nations can get their act together. Sad but true.

deluded pom?

Coach
I guess the main reason for that is that they'd be at risk of having less full members than there are WC spots! If we're strictly looking at the criteria, there are a lot of full members that are dodgy and perhaps not properly meeting criteria. All the pacific nations for example. We assume they're ok because they have star-studded national sides, but what is the real grassroots situation on the the ground in say, Samoa, Tonga and in the Cooks? I think we're still 2-3 years away from being in a position to strictly enforce the rules, until a few more nations can get their act together. Sad but true.
True but of all the quarter finalists from 2013 why make the USA the only nation to have to qualify for the 2017 WC?

langpark

First Grade
True but of all the quarter finalists from 2013 why make the USA the only nation to have to qualify for the 2017 WC?
I don't really have a problem with that. AMNRL were at the last WC, they since lost their status and now it's USARL, so it's essentially their first WC. Plus as long as North America only have one spot, it should always be contested.