What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fus head high

Penrose_11

Juniors
I see the NRL have come out today apologising that the head-high hit on Fus by Latrell should’ve been awarded as a penalty try. Geez not saying we would’ve won but from memory we were 6-8 points back at the time and that could’ve potentially tied it up with 8 pt try. Potentially made things a lot more interesting. And if they say it a high hit, interesting that Latrell wasn’t even charged at judiciary. Fus was KO’d and eventually left the game. Kind’ve goob smacked actually!! And....with a close loss or a win, would SK have gotten the flick??

TheDMC

Bench
Should have been a penalty try, but not a citing, Fus was ducking/slipping so I'd give Latrell the benefit of the doubt about intention.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Wow, huge thing to admit, personally I don’t think it is a penalty try because Fus is already slipping before contact and no guarantee to get there with cover coming across

Also I don’t think the high shot was the issue with his HIA and couldn’t give a suspension for it, he copped a pretty heavy knee in the head at high speed from their centre while he was on the deck

Benek

Juniors
I would have been happy with just a normal penalty. Penalty try would have been rough on the Bunnies as he wasn't guaranteed to score. It was a pivotal moment in the game for sure. Hell of a thing to miss when we've got video refs.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Its Fus, the dude could do a cartwheel in a phone box, he was guaranteed to score.

Either way too late now, its fish and chip paper already

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It was a penalty try all day. Fus doesn’t have to be 100% certain to score, just has to be judged likely to have been prevented from scoring by the hit. He’s a good finisher, it doesn’t take a genius to see he dropped the ball because he got hit in the head from behind when he wasn’t anticipating a shot.
It’s not an 8 point try though, as the infringement occurred before the act of scoring.

Big Marn

Juniors
i think the captains challenge clock shouldnt start when there is an injury break. It gives the captain time to look at the big screen and if the video refs sit on their hands, he has an opportunity to make them look at it. Total BS nothing was done during that injury break by VR or Cecchin.

Meth

Staff member
Would have been ok with a penalty or a penalty try.

We would not have won the game if we were awarded that try. I doubt it would have been much closer.

Would have preferred to not be awarded a penalty or a penalty try here, but have got a fair go at the ruck.

Meth

Staff member
i think the captains challenge clock shouldnt start when there is an injury break.

Bottom line is that captain's shouldn't need to risk their challenge to adjudicate on a guy getting smashed in the head.

Refs go up to the bunker for absolutely anything. It stinks that they didn't think to check that on their own accord- especially as something had obviously happened to Fusitu'a

Rich102

Staff member
Actually, this is a good time to bring up referees.
When did we last time we saw a new ref?
Are they too long in the tooth?
I know a couple that should be put out to pasture.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Actually, this is a good time to bring up referees.
When did we last time we saw a new ref?
Are they too long in the tooth?
I know a couple that should be put out to pasture.
Just looked up refs for Friday’s game. Ben Cummins has the whistle and Steve Clarke and Bryan Norris are the video refs. Bryan only played for Melbourne 2010-14 before retiring so i imagine he’ll be totally impartial.

TheDMC

Bench
It was a penalty try all day. Fus doesn’t have to be 100% certain to score, just has to be judged likely to have been prevented from scoring by the hit. He’s a good finisher, it doesn’t take a genius to see he dropped the ball because he got hit in the head from behind when he wasn’t anticipating a shot.
It’s not an 8 point try though, as the infringement occurred before the act of scoring.

Exactly, its not about being 100% certain to score, that bar is way way too high. Blocker Roach was saying he didn't think it was a penalty try because he wasn't guaranteed to score (paraphrased). Shit, commentators should know better, this issue has been done to death and the interpretation changed years ago from mythical certainty.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
It’s nice and all that we got the apology but that’s at least the third time this has happened to us that I can remember... have we actually had any refereeing screw-ups like this in our favour?

Penrose_11

Juniors
Passi got 2 weeks for his high hit recently. Nathan Browns forearm hit the chin of ball runner and he got 2 weeks. Latrells was higher by hitting Fus’s side/back of head. I just don’t see the consistency and TBH that’s all we’re asking for

Latest posts