What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fusitua makes the NRL team of the year

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Has always had the talent, just needed to be given the right environment and opportunities. Well done Fus, well deserved. Absolute gun.

Gillett made it on the back of playing 5 games this year. Weird.

And Billy Slater's arse is literally dripping with all the rimming it's getting this year. Man of the Series in a losing series he played two games in and now apparently he's so far and away the best fullback.

JJ

Immortal
Joke team : Thurston and Gillett lol

Fusitua is mildly amusing too TBH

L

Meth

Staff member
I'd go-

1- Roger Tuivasa Sheck
2- Josh Addo Carr
3- Latrell Mitchell
4- Greg Inglis
5- David Fusitu'a
6- James Maloney
7- Cooper Cronk
8- Reagan Campbell-Gillard
9- Cameron Smith
10- Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11- Tyson Frizell
12- Tohu Harris
13- Jason Taumalolo

Res- Jake Trbojevic, Sam Burgess, Andrew Fifita, Damien Cook

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I'd go-

1- Roger Tuivasa Sheck
2- Josh Addo Carr
3- Latrell Mitchell
4- Greg Inglis
5- David Fusitu'a
6- James Maloney
7- Cooper Cronk
8- Reagan Campbell-Gillard
9- Cameron Smith
10- Nelson Asofa-Solomona
11- Tyson Frizell
12- Tohu Harris
13- Jason Taumalolo

Res- Jake Trbojevic, Sam Burgess, Andrew Fifita, Damien Cook
I'd have everyone you got but Cam Smith. I'd chuck in our Issac Luke for him.

Also I'd drop Trbojevic for David Klemmer.

vvvrulz

Coach
The fact that RTS didn't get there renders that list null and void.

... good on Fus though

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I haven't seen enough of the other games to put together a full 17, but if there are front rowers playing better than Taupau they must be tearing it up

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I haven't seen enough of the other games to put together a full 17, but if there are front rowers playing better than Taupau they must be tearing it up

None of ours that’s for sure, haha. The four Warrior contenders have already been covered, Fusitua, RTS, Luke and Harris.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Good on him but it was a players poll from like the first half of the season when we were flying.

They should do these polls post season.

Case in point Latrell Mitchell didn't even make the centres of the team.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Good on him but it was a players poll from like the first half of the season when we were flying.

For his defensive flaws, Hiku did at least have the skill as a centre to put his winger away, I don't think it is any coincidence that Fus has dropped away not having someone inside him who can give him quality ball at the right time

Meth

Staff member

I think as well that this is hardly something that the players are likely to take seriously. They'd make these selections on auto-pilot. 'Yeah, Billy Slater is the best fullback of the modern era and he's still playing, so lock him in again for me this year'

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
I was quite surprised by how well the Warriors players polled in general. It's pretty obvious that the selections were heavily influenced by who was playing well at the start of this season.

I'm a big fan of the Fus but honestly I'd probably swap him for Valentine Holmes (not sure if this is a popular opinion or not, but I really would have thought Holmes was the more established and well-regarded player?), who polled well below him. But then, as I recall Holmes didn't start the season that well and isn't helped by being stuck between wanting to be a club fullback, and being probably the best rep winger out there.

The backline is full of Queensland players who got soundly outplayed by the likes of Tedesco and Mitchell during Origin, I'm sure the polling would look very different now.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
I was quite surprised by how well the Warriors players polled in general. It's pretty obvious that the selections were heavily influenced by who was playing well at the start of this season.

I'm a big fan of the Fus but honestly I'd probably swap him for Valentine Holmes (not sure if this is a popular opinion or not, but I really would have thought Holmes was the more established and well-regarded player?), who polled well below him. But then, as I recall Holmes didn't start the season that well and isn't helped by being stuck between wanting to be a club fullback, and being probably the best rep winger out there.

The backline is full of Queensland players who got soundly outplayed by the likes of Tedesco and Mitchell during Origin, I'm sure the polling would look very different now.
Fus has only really had ONE bad game this year for us and often shining in a losing game.

Holmes is good though. This year? not so. Poor origin IMO.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Although, last weekend, the Air Fus played more like the Tongan Air Force than the NZ one.
He was shit aye...lol - me going from praising him to calling him shit. Hey I call as it is.

I don't think the Tongans have an air force but anyway, he did score a nice try against us when he showed some flight over DWZ.

Meth

Staff member

Yeah, I think there's an argument for Holmes over Fusitu'a BUT Holmes is playing more fullback than wing. I have a little bugbear with these sorts of teams picking blokes in positions that they aren't playing simply because they'd like to have them in the team. If he's playing fullback and he isn't good enough to be selected at fullback, he's isn't in the team IMO

Meth

Staff member
I'd say Fusitu'a is generally regarded as the best (or at least the most talented) finisher in the game. And he's massive carting it out of our own 20 too.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
Yeah, I think there's an argument for Holmes over Fusitu'a BUT Holmes is playing more fullback than wing. I have a little bugbear with these sorts of teams picking blokes in positions that they aren't playing simply because they'd like to have them in the team. If he's playing fullback and he isn't good enough to be selected at fullback, he's isn't in the team IMO
Now that you mentioned Holmes playing fullback, that actually gives him no excuse for his rather lacklustre season. You see, he WANTED to play fullback. Thats his preferred position. I'm not sure if I heard right but rumours say that the fullback position brought about some drama with him and Duggan as he wanted to play there or the coach Flanagan preferred Dugan there. Something like that...

Anyway back to my point - Holmes was given his preferred position and isn't playing as good as he has in previous years.

JJ

Immortal
Holmes has been pretty good whenever I've seen him - think unless you watch them week to week it's hard to judge - Aussies watching Fus last week might think he's a basket case