What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Steel Saints

Juniors
Not sure if Belmore is part of the suburban strategy. I think the NRL wants Manly, Penrith, Campbelltown and southern Sydney (Kogarah or Shark Park??) to be upgraded.

It kinda feels like the Bulldogs are deflecting away from their on field performances where they are currently running last.

Reactions: Vee

TheRam

Coach
Their Liverpool option is better.

Belmore is just a selfish option that will only benefit them. Which is understandable, but the NRL need to say a strong NO to that idea and look further out to where the fans are out south west. It also needs to be on a train line or they can go and get f**ked.

Jamberoo

Juniors

Belmore is just a selfish option that will only benefit them. Which is understandable, but the NRL need to say a strong NO to that idea and look further out to where the fans are out south west. It also needs to be on a train line or they can go and get f**ked.
Belmore is on the train line. They just need to build a 10K stand on the Eastern side and upgrade amenities and corporate facilities. $100M. Done.

Last edited:

ash the bash

Juniors

Agree Liverpool is the better option for the Dogs with land they already own anyway. Problem with BSG is not it can't become a nice 25k stadium, its the lack of things around the ground. Unless the plan is to get everyone back at the Leagues club. Liverpool would have restaurants, Bars, a mall, close to highway and train link. Would be easier to disperse a crowd compared to BSG. It also won't have restrictions on being able to build like BSG having rail line on one side.

Problem with Liverpool would be what happens to CSG which is already existing venue near by. If Liverpool is the option would assume WT's would move their CSG games to Liverpool ?

Judging by the noise's if the 4 stadium suburban ground plan is approved. So far it likely looks like these are the options.

- Brookvale: 22,000 Manly games + Union games
- Panthers Stadium: 23,500 Panthers games
- BSG or Liverpool stadium: 23,500 12 Bulldogs @BSG or 12 Bulldogs + WT's 3 @Liverpool Stadium
- Oki Jubilee, Leichhardt Oval, Shark Park: 200m to 250m spent amongst the three grounds for upgrades.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure if Belmore is part of the suburban strategy. I think the NRL wants Manly, Penrith, Campbelltown and southern Sydney (Kogarah or Shark Park??) to be upgraded.

It kinda feels like the Bulldogs are deflecting away from their on field performances where they are currently running last.

It'd be nice if all the Sydney clubs could have their own 25k stadiums, but seems a bit of a pipe dream.

ash the bash

Juniors
After reading yesterday's article about the Bulldogs having Liverpool (35k) as a back option I don't know why they are even bothering with a Belmore upgrade. Leave Belmore as the training HQ. A new stadium in Liverpool would benefit Rugby League more than an upgrade of Campbelltown. A stadium in Campbelltown would be used by A league football and 3-4 games of Wests Tigers. Stadium at Liverpool would mean 12 Bulldogs games, 3-4 Wests Tigers games. Bulldogs will not play out at Campbelltown but the Wests Tigers can play out of Liverpool.

My personal view of how I want the future of Sydney stadiums/clubs:

Souths: SFS 42,500 new
Roosters: SFS 42,500 new
Manly: Brookvale 22,000 new stadium including the new northern stand/centre of excellence
Penrith: Panther Stadium 23,500 brand new stadium
Cronulla: Shark Park 19,500 upgraded corporate facilities & amenities
St George: 5/6 Jubilee upgraded - 5/6 Win Stadium
Parramatta: Bankwest
Bulldogs: Liverpool 32,500 brand new stadium at Liverpool
Wests Tigers: 4 Bankwest, 4 Liverpool, 4 Leichhardt Oval. Get 8 games at brand new stadiums with corporate and an extra game at Leichhardt Oval.

New Stadiums-
SFS - New 42,500
Brookvale - New 22,000
Panther Stadium - New 23,500
Liverpool - New 32,500 - 12 Bulldogs + 4 WT's = 16 games

Done-
Bankwest

Upgrades-
Shark Park, Jubilee, Leichhardt Oval

morley101

Juniors
The government would want to have a game every week at ANZ to ensure that not a white elephant.
Canterbury and Souths to share .
I can't the any public money going into Belmore.

Perth Red

Post Whore
After reading yesterday's article about the Bulldogs having Liverpool (35k) as a back option I don't know why they are even bothering with a Belmore upgrade. Leave Belmore as the training HQ. A new stadium in Liverpool would benefit Rugby League more than an upgrade of Campbelltown. A stadium in Campbelltown would be used by A league football and 3-4 games of Wests Tigers. Stadium at Liverpool would mean 12 Bulldogs games, 3-4 Wests Tigers games. Bulldogs will not play out at Campbelltown but the Wests Tigers can play out of Liverpool.

My personal view of how I want the future of Sydney stadiums/clubs:

Souths: SFS 42,500 new
Roosters: SFS 42,500 new
Manly: Brookvale 22,000 new stadium including the new northern stand/centre of excellence
Penrith: Panther Stadium 23,500 brand new stadium
St George: 5/6 Jubilee upgraded - 5/6 Win Stadium
Parramatta: Bankwest
Bulldogs: Liverpool 32,500 brand new stadium at Liverpool
Wests Tigers: 4 Bankwest, 4 Liverpool, 4 Leichhardt Oval. Get 8 games at brand new stadiums with corporate and an extra game at Leichhardt Oval.

New Stadiums-
SFS - New 42,500
Brookvale - New 22,000
Panther Stadium - New 23,500
Liverpool - New 32,500 - 12 Bulldogs + 4 WT's = 16 games

Done-
Bankwest

Upgrades-
Shark Park, Jubilee, Leichhardt Oval

Nice in theory but feasible? Unlikely.
Given that it would seem nuts to have the best club RL stadium in Sydney (Bankwest) only used for 1.25 clubs.

ash the bash

Juniors
Nice in theory but feasible? Unlikely.
Given that it would seem nuts to have the best club RL stadium in Sydney (Bankwest) only used for 1.25 clubs.

Hi PR,

When you talk of Bankwest you are not counting the WSW 13-14 games. So Bankwest gets 12 + 4 RL games and 13-14 soccer games over the year. Not including other events, codes or finals/Intl RL.

All the talk of PVL has been on 1 billion over 4 brand new "suburban venues", judging by how confident he sounds he may have already been given the soft signal. Whether its feasible its up for debate assuming that it comes to fruition. In my suggestion they would only need to spend on 3 new grounds. Manly, Penrith & Liverpool. 200-250m on each.

The left 200-250 million would be used by Jubilee, LO and Shark park. 80 million a ground won't transform it but could add to value of viewing experience. (Toilets, precinct, corporate)

What it means for Campbelltown I don't know, just that IMO Liverpool is much more beneficial for RL. An upgraded Campbelltown would benefit the soccer team and WT's 3-4 games. The Bulldogs won't move down to Campbelltown so your affectively getting an upgraded/new stadium for 3-4 RL games. Liverpool is already in Wests territory on the border with Parra and Canterbury ?? Won't be an issue moving WT's Campbelltown games to Liverpool with additional 12 Dogs home games. More usage for RL.

As for ANZ the NSW government have made their bed, it can be used for SOO's, GF's, FFA etc.... Just not club games under no circumstance.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hi PR,

When you talk of Bankwest you are not counting the WSW 13-14 games. So Bankwest gets 12 + 4 RL games and 13-14 soccer games over the year. Not including other events, codes or finals/Intl RL.

All the talk of PVL has been on 1 billion over 4 brand new "suburban venues", judging by how confident he sounds he may have already been given the soft signal. Whether its feasible its up for debate assuming that it comes to fruition. In my suggestion they would only need to spend on 3 new grounds. Manly, Penrith & Liverpool. 200-250m on each.

The left 200-250 million would be used by Jubilee, LO and Shark park. 80 million a ground won't transform it but could add to value of viewing experience. (Toilets, precinct, corporate)

What it means for Campbelltown I don't know, just that IMO Liverpool is much more beneficial for RL. An upgraded Campbelltown would benefit the soccer team and WT's 3-4 games. The Bulldogs won't move down to Campbelltown so your affectively getting an upgraded/new stadium for 3-4 RL games. Liverpool is already in Wests territory on the border with Parra and Canterbury ?? Won't be an issue moving WT's Campbelltown games to Liverpool with additional 12 Dogs home games. More usage for RL.

As for ANZ the NSW government have made their bed, it can be used for SOO's, GF's, FFA etc.... Just not club games under no circumstance.

True, I was more speaking for RL purposes and benefits. NSW Govt pulled ANZ funding to spend on project ready initiatives to boost the post COVID economy (or to pocket as the economic impact for the state is dire?). Either way it would be quite a backflip to announce they are now going to spend MORE on suburban stadiums that wont start for 2 years. I can see $200-300mill being offered for a stand upgrades but Id be very surprised if we see new stadiums built. Hope I'm wrong as it would be great for the clubs and fans in Sydney if it did happen.

I agree, decent sized (25-30k) Liverpool stadium for Wests and Bulldogs, plus a Southern Stadium for Sharks and Dragons should be the aim with new main stand for Penrith and Liechardt. Tigers to play 8 games at new stadium and 4 at redeveloped Leichardt (I actually think its a waste of money at Leichardt but such is tradition)

That really only leaves Manly and no idea what they will do. You cant justify a new stadium for ten games a year of crowds under 15k.

Totally agree, no club should use ANZ unless we are filling 30k stadiums!

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Why would Leichhardt get an upgrade when Tigers only play a third of their games there? Ditto Liverpool when a) no one plays there, b) new Parra stadium was touted as the ‘saviour’ for western Sydney clubs and will be connected in the near future to Canterbury’s current home ground by rail that will only be a five minute long trip each way, c) Tigers clearly won’t play more than six games max there as they don’t want to piss off the biggest portion of their fan base which is the Balmain contingent by taking too many games away from them.

If the state government spends money on stadiums it should make geographical sense and be grounded in reality. This is just rampant decadence.

unforgiven

Bench
Why would Leichhardt get an upgrade when Tigers only play a third of their games there? Ditto Liverpool when a) no one plays there, b) new Parra stadium was touted as the ‘saviour’ for western Sydney clubs and will be connected in the near future to Canterbury’s current home ground by rail that will only be a five minute long trip each way, c) Tigers clearly won’t play more than six games max there as they don’t want to piss off the biggest portion of their fan base which is the Balmain contingent by taking too many games away from them.

If the state government spends money on stadiums it should make geographical sense and be grounded in reality. This is just rampant decadence.

Says the guy who wants a ground in Penrith.

unforgiven

Bench
True, I was more speaking for RL purposes and benefits. NSW Govt pulled ANZ funding to spend on project ready initiatives to boost the post COVID economy (or to pocket as the economic impact for the state is dire?). Either way it would be quite a backflip to announce they are now going to spend MORE on suburban stadiums that wont start for 2 years. I can see $200-300mill being offered for a stand upgrades but Id be very surprised if we see new stadiums built. Hope I'm wrong as it would be great for the clubs and fans in Sydney if it did happen.

I agree, decent sized (25-30k) Liverpool stadium for Wests and Bulldogs, plus a Southern Stadium for Sharks and Dragons should be the aim with new main stand for Penrith and Liechardt. Tigers to play 8 games at new stadium and 4 at redeveloped Leichardt (I actually think its a waste of money at Leichardt but such is tradition)

That really only leaves Manly and no idea what they will do. You cant justify a new stadium for ten games a year of crowds under 15k.

The main stand at Penrith is fine, it is the Eastern stand that needs replacing.

Shire_seaeagle

Juniors

Brookvale only averages under 15k a year because it is in worse condition then the coliseum in Rome and if you ever have the pleasure to go to Brookvale in its current state after about 13-14k it is absolutely bursting at the seams and forget about using bathrooms, getting food or drinks. Recent safety changes over last 5-10 years makes it capacity 16k tops so hard to compare with previous crowds. People need to realise lots of Manly fans do not attend home games cause it really isnt a comfortable experience at the moment. Building Manly a 20-22k seated stadium would be perfect allowing some room for growth but with blockbuster games against rivals Storm, parra etc would be immediately sold out.

Waratahs and Sydney Fc have already played lots of club games there with and would continue for smaller games even after new SFS is built- rugby union especially would take various games there too as in there strong hold.

blue bags

First Grade
good sharkies progress, bulldogs looking to do the same
renovate belmore $250 million
The Canterbury Bulldogs could return to their Belmore roots, with a 25,000-seat stadium at the centre of a $250 million redevelopment plan of suburban grounds in the works, reports The Daily Telegraph.

The Bulldogs wish for Belmore to be a part of the NRL’s suburban ground strategy, which includes a modern stadium in Parramatta, and have confirmed an architect from Populous was surveying their site on Wednesday.

Populous is the biggest architectural firm in the world and have designed world leading stadiums such as Wembley Stadium and Emirates Stadium in the UK and Suncorp Stadium and Marvel Stadium in Australia.

“We certainly have started a conversation with the NRL and with architects to look at what can be done at Belmore Sports Ground,” Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill told The Daily Telegraph.

“While it is very preliminary and subject to NSW’s stadium policy, we absolutely want Belmore to be at the front and centre of that discussion.”

The recent cancellation of the Sydney Olympic Park redevelopment has led to the Bulldogs to rethink their stadium strategy.

“We have an opportunity to look at a long-term strategy while we still have a number of years left on our ANZ deal,” Hill said.

“We have a great relationship with ANZ Stadium and while we are disappointed with the recent decision, we are looking at what opportunity there are for the club around stadiums.

“We want to be able to sit down with the NSW Government and the NRL so we can better understand what their strategy around stadia is now. If having a redeveloped ANZ stadium is not in the plan we would like the opportunity to discuss other options.”

First reports advise the land at Belmore could accommodate a 20,000 plus seat stadium, while a club-owned plot of land in Liverpool is also being considered as a different site.

“Brookvale and Penrith have been mentioned,” Hill said.

“And there is no reason Belmore can’t be. We are right on the railway line and have a long-term history of playing games and I think our fans and members deserve a new stadium at Belmore.”

As early as next week, The South Sydney Rabbithohs are expected to recommit to Olympic Park after a vote was given out to members and Homebush was preferred.

“We are still going through the results,” South Sydney CEO Blake Solley told The Daily Telegraph.

“But it is clear there is an appetite to return to ANZ.”

https://www.nospam21.com/sydney-club-could-return-to-spiritual-home-permanently-nrl-57020/

blue bags

First Grade
I was thinking if we want to really put Parramatta on the map and start to get domestic international visitors coming in then build something like this in Parra. Add the Powerhouse museum and all the other builds and Stadium and we start to look like a real modern and must go to city for many peoples traveling itinerary. Also the move of the Powerhouse museum is around $1B so this isn't that far off and I would argue way more exciting and alluring overall.

But the point is we need something really dynamic to catapult Parra into an International attention grabbing destination. Once you have that everything else as far as big money corps and deals will follow. Sure we have some of that already, but nothing that is going to peak the interest of the wider, larger international community or even the local tourist really. The Powerhouse museum is a start, but hardly a massive draw card for the average holiday maker or even other local Sydney siders wanting a day out somewhere in Sydney. But something like this would do it for sure. Especially in the winter months when the beaches are less enticing.

I would try to build it with a massive indoor wave pool or something similar to really bring in the punters from all over the place.

weirdos freaks . why so much garbage , very strange

Mr Angry

Not a Referee

Already 22000, not sure the end.

But here you can see the plan, not just a stadium a precinct.

How far is any other stadium to the leagues club?

Give up one home game a year in NZ, then next year somewhere else to promote the game.

The rest we play at home. From 2022, already planned.

Will have to play Major semis at Moore Park, if good enough.