What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Canard

Immortal
Getting an upgrade to Dolphin Stadium as a 7's and soccer venue is the play here for RL. The Government loves legacy projects and this gives an upgrade to QLD's newest NRL team.
Dolphin stadium and sunshine coast stadium into decent 20-25k stadiums would be a big outcome for the game. I know Ipswich were after one as well. Any chance they could get it started using Olympics platform? Labor promised $20mill before election last year to get it rolling, presume that's still on the table?

View attachment 70656

Whats the ownership situation with Redcliffe's stadium and the land it is sited on?

Any upgrade would result in a big rent hike I guess, and the Council having to hand over the land/stadium to the state?

It's Been Done

Juniors
Whats the ownership situation with Redcliffe's stadium and the land it is sited on?

Any upgrade would result in a big rent hike I guess, and the Council having to hand over the land/stadium to the state?
Owned by the Dolphins much like how Cronulla own Shark Park (both purchased from their respective local councils) and until 2004, how Carlton used to own Princes Park in Melbourne

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

The Dolphins own the stadium and the site. I guess any deal to upgrade the stadium with Government money will come down to how the negotiations play out between the Dolphins and the QLD Government.

Canard

Immortal
The Dolphins own the stadium and the site. I guess any deal to upgrade the stadium with Government money will come down to how the negotiations play out between the Dolphins and the QLD Government.
I would be highly suprised if any government is going to fund a private stadium upgrade, without taking over ownership thereafter.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I would be highly suprised if any government is going to fund a private stadium upgrade, without taking over ownership thereafter.
Does seem to be a sticking point at shark park, havent they just had their CofE funding withdrawn after sitting on it for a few years? Mind you under the guise of community, women, inclusivity blah blah Govts seem happy to throw money all over the place.

beave

Coach
Dolphin stadium has had a fair bit of public coin thrown at it.

I can't remember if this was from a state gov level but I know the federal and local govs gave money for the upgrades. Moreton Bay council were filthy when the club decided to go against using a local name (Redcliffe/Moreton Bay) in their title due to the coin they handed over.

Canard

Immortal
Dolphin stadium has had a fair bit of public coin thrown at it.

I can't remember if this was from a state gov level but I know the federal and local govs gave money for the upgrades. Moreton Bay council were filthy when the club decided to go against using a local name (Redcliffe/Moreton Bay) in their title due to the coin they handed over.

Yeh, but Council's will tend to be able to secure grants for things under the guise of "local sports clubs".

I can't imagine that the optics of QLD govt giving them a $250M stadium for no return would work though.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Agreed. It will come down to what the Dolphins want more long-term, to keep hold of the land that the stadium sits on or get a Government funded upgrade.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Last upgrade it got $2.5mill from local council and $3.5mill from Feds. Early development included some State funding as well. All up it had $15mill spent on it from these three sources. That's probably ok from public scrutiny, but hundreds of millions for a privately own business premises is a different matter.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Agreed. It will come down to what the Dolphins want more long-term, to keep hold of the land that the stadium sits on or get a Government funded upgrade.
Given they haven't sold out 12k for their first game there yet I'm not sure an upgrade is that high on the agenda.

Wb1234

Referee
Cronulla has had loads of govt grants done to it

dolphin park also had govt money put towards its upgrade

heck Ballymore is getting redone and that’s owned by the qru

Canard

Immortal
Last upgrade it got $2.5mill from local council and $3.5mill from Feds. Early development included some State funding as well. All up it had $15mill spent on it from these three sources. That's probably ok from public scrutiny, but hundreds of millions for a privately own business premises is a different matter.

The reality is that Brisbane doesn't need a 2nd NRL ground either, it's a "nice to have" but not essential.

Canard

Immortal
Cronulla has had loads of govt grants done to it

dolphin park also had govt money put towards its upgrade

heck Ballymore is getting redone and that’s owned by the qru

Ballymore is getting a 3000 seat grandstand and some training facilities.

Nothing like a new stadium

Timbo

Staff member
Or alternatively they move big international cricket away from Queensland while the Gabba is rebuilt.

Canberra and/or Hobart plus Sydney and Melbourne or Perth or Adelaide could easily take on more internationals.

Nothing says international cricket has to be played in Queensland (or any other state for that matter), it's just that Cricket Australia shares the games around.

They’re not going to ignore the third biggest metro area in the country for five years. Carrara is also a bigger stadium than Manuka and Bellerive.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
They’re not going to ignore the third biggest metro area in the country for five years. Carrara is also a bigger stadium than Manuka and Bellerive.
They won't play at Carrara for 5 years. They might play a couple but they will move games from Queensland.

Timbo

Staff member
They won't play at Carrara for 5 years. They might play a couple but they will move games from Queensland.

This will depend on how much the QCA throws its weight around.

The five mainland states run cricket in this country. Tasmania gets the scraps and Cricket ACT is only an associate member of CA.

Latest posts