What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Wb1234

Referee
None of the above gives those clubs venues befitting of a 21st century top tier sport. Wasting $300-500mill slapping Lipstick on pigs.
Should be 25k min all seater with at least 20k seats under cover, X min corporate facilities, led lighting and signage, decent big screens and proper food and toilet amenities. That is what all NRL stadiums should be as min criteria. For a billion $ sport we look at times like we never left the 70's.
As I said before your vision of the nrl isn’t what most fans want

Iamback

Coach
You think Penrith would ever give up their ground as it is to play at commbank ?

tigers are a weird case they don’t know where they acrually represent but it’s certainly not parra stadium

with Gus in charge if he doesn’t die soon I expect
Belmore will get a full rebuild

No chance

Perth Red

Post Whore
As I said before your vision of the nrl isn’t what most fans want
The stats would disagree with you and agree with me.
EVERY club that has moved to a brand new stadium has increased attendance
New stadiums avg more than out of date suburban grounds

Facts are facts.

Vibing

Juniors
Eh? again with the nonsensical comparisons.

Sydney only needs 4 decent club stadiums max
Commbank (Eels, Tigers Bulldogs)
Allianz (Roosters, Souths, Manly)
Penrith
Southern Stadium (and thats questionable) (Dragons and Sharks)

Upgrades to
Win
Newcastle

There's your NSW stadium strategy right there

If clubs after that want to play in their shtholes rather than these govt funded state of the art joints thats up to them, let them get left behind.
Manly fans would be at Gosford before they got to Allianz on a Thursday or Friday night
so yea

nah

On those stats the tigers do have higher crowds at lo over commbank

Yes, you are correct. I should have explained myself better. Whilst Leichhardt Oval does have a higher attendance average than Commbank Stadium for Wests Tigers games, Leichhardt's average attendance is well below the SFS, SCG and even games at Accor. That is why I said I don't think WT fans are clamouring to stay at Leichhardt Oval.

Also considering how poorly the Tigesr have been travelling in recent seasons I'd suggest that has had an impact on attendances at all home games regardless of venue.

No chance

I agree with you in relation to the chances of Belmore Oval getting a full rebuild. Its location with the rail line right up against the northern end of the oval limits it, as does the other buildings, including houses around the park. The locals would be straight off to council opposing a rebuild as they would not want 1-2 years of construction noise.

Timbo

Staff member
Stuff Sydney Newcastle needs finishing off first. Join the 2 grandstands up with the hills an make it a 40,000 seated stadium. an a big screen.

940x450-Ryan-Reynold-Reaction-GIFs (1).jpg

It's 33,000 seats and hasn't sold out in a long time. It's the perfect size for a city the size of Newcastle.

I live in Newcastle and I think this is a silly idea.

In anycase, council's venue priorities here are now aimed at an indoor arena (as we've been told that the Entertainment Centre is not up to scratch for Netball or NBL sides) and an oval arena (it's been over a decade since a game of professional cricket has been played here in summer due to the lack of a venue).

MugaB

Coach
View attachment 71618

It's 33,000 seats and hasn't sold out in a long time. It's the perfect size for a city the size of Newcastle.

I live in Newcastle and I think this is a silly idea.

In anycase, council's venue priorities here are now aimed at an indoor arena (as we've been told that the Entertainment Centre is not up to scratch for Netball or NBL sides) and an oval arena (it's been over a decade since a game of professional cricket has been played here in summer due to the lack of a venue).
videotogif_2020.10.13_21.07.10.gif
Use this timbo

Jamberoo

Juniors

Penrith

Upgrades to
Win
Newcastle

If clubs after that want to play in their shtholes rather than these govt funded state of the art joints thats up to them, let them get left behind.
NRL expansion to places like Perth, PNG, NZ, etc (anywhere really) will see a lot more games in Sydney with no away fans and lower crowds. I still like the idea of renovating but downsizing grounds like Belmore/Leichardt to 15k for the six games v non Sydney clubs and those clubs playing all games v Sydney clubs at SFS or Parra.

Timbo

Staff member
NRL expansion to places like Perth, PNG, NZ, etc (anywhere really) will see a lot more games in Sydney with no away fans and lower crowds. I still like the idea of renovating but downsizing grounds like Belmore/Leichardt to 15k for the six games v non Sydney clubs and those clubs playing all games v Sydney clubs at SFS or Parra.

I'm a big fan of upgrading those grounds to be boutique, state-of-the-art 18,000 or so seat grounds. Modeled on grounds like PayPal Park, Allianz Park or Childrens Mercy Park from Major League Soccer.

Perth Red will, of course, throw a fit because he thinks every club should be playing out of some cavernous stadium. But the fact is it's better to have 20,000 people want to be able to go to a 17,500 seat stadium and have 2,500 fans unable to get a ticket because:

(a) It looks better on TV.
(b) It creates incentive to buy tickets fast if fans are on the fence about attending.
(c) It allows clubs to charge a premium for tickets.

It is better to have those games in a 17,500 seat stadium and sell it out than a 50,000 seat stadium where you get a whole row of seats to yourself.

You're also right that with less derby games in Sydney, there's less demand for away seats. Add to the fact that a lot of people just prefer to watch it on television - we had a grand final rematch last night and the game was an absolute cracker and only 16,342 seats out of 30,000 were filled.

azza29

Juniors
I'm a big fan of upgrading those grounds to be boutique, state-of-the-art 18,000 or so seat grounds. Modeled on grounds like PayPal Park, Allianz Park or Childrens Mercy Park from Major League Soccer.
Doesn't have to be all in one go either, Geelong have spent the best part of two decades gradually upgrading Kardinia Park, and the end result will be a great little stadium that hasn't cost the earth.

It's Been Done

Juniors
A temporary video screen is now in the NW corner of AAMI Park. I'm guessing this was following complaints about some being unable to see or have a restricted view of the existing NE corner screen

reanimate

Bench

Penrith

Upgrades to
Win
Newcastle

Allianz can’t be Manly’s home ground. The travel times are too long from Northern Sydney via public transport for it to be a realistic option, especially for Thursday and Friday games.

Pneuma

First Grade

Perth Red will, of course, throw a fit because he thinks every club should be playing out of some cavernous stadium. But the fact is it's better to have 20,000 people want to be able to go to a 17,500 seat stadium and have 2,500 fans unable to get a ticket because:

(a) It looks better on TV.
(b) It creates incentive to buy tickets fast if fans are on the fence about attending.
(c) It allows clubs to charge a premium for tickets.

It is better to have those games in a 17,500 seat stadium and sell it out than a 50,000 seat stadium where you get a whole row of seats to yourself.

You're also right that with less derby games in Sydney, there's less demand for away seats. Add to the fact that a lot of people just prefer to watch it on television - we had a grand final rematch last night and the game was an absolute cracker and only 16,342 seats out of 30,000 were filled.
Post more often. Please.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
None of the above gives those clubs venues befitting of a 21st century top tier sport. Wasting $300-500mill slapping Lipstick on pigs.
Should be 25k min all seater with at least 20k seats under cover, X min corporate facilities, led lighting and signage, decent big screens and proper food and toilet amenities. That is what all NRL stadiums should be as min criteria. For a billion $ sport we look at times like we never left the 70's.

The Dragons stadium in Wollongong would be up to standard once the hill is replaced with a new stand. The other three stands are all relatively new and well covered, and capacity is already at 22k so you’d expect it to end up at around 25k with the majority under cover if you built another stand. Probably doable for 50M or less.

westerntiger

Juniors
Get rid of that ridiculous stand in the northeastern corder (but keep the rest of the northern stand obviously) and put a decent single level covered stand where the hill isScreen Shot 2023-03-24 at 6.24.02 pm.png

Jamberoo

Juniors
Doesn't have to be all in one go either, Geelong have spent the best part of two decades gradually upgrading Kardinia Park, and the end result will be a great little stadium that hasn't cost the earth.
$310m, starting almost 20 years ago. If they started now and did all that over the next 15 - 20 years it would be at least double that. Not cheap, and restricted capacity in quite a few seasons. Better to do it all at once.

Latest posts