What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future NRL Stadiums

Diesel

Referee
What's the current capacity and what will it increase to? I remember when safety wasn't an issue 20 years ago and they'd cram over 25K into Brookie.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I not great with my Brooky geography. Is the eastern side the hill?

And for any stadium gurus, how far along the sideline would a 5ish thousand seat stand go? Are we talking Win stadium or newcastle's new grandstands? *fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Yosemite Sam

Juniors

And for any stadium gurus, how far along the sideline would a 5ish thousand seat stand go? Are we talking Win stadium or newcastle's new grandstands? *fingers crossed.

The article says around 5K covered seating, so I'm not sure if that includes uncovered seating in the concourse.

For comparison, the new grandstand at WIN holds around 6-7K. Newcastle would have to be 10K+ (not sure of exact figures if someone has them).

Panfas

Juniors

In comparison, the new WIN Wollongong stand holds 5,800

http://www.architectsajc.com/wp-content/pdf/news/news-media/2012-06-29_WIN Stadium opening.pdf

news_winstadium.jpg

Perth Red

Post Whore
This new stand at nib cost in the region of $60-70mill. Seats around 14,000 and some, but not outstanding, corporate facilities. The Newcastle stands would be of a similiar size and cost I would think.

969004_10201512889522915_1852570103_n.jpg

Patorick

Staff member
Wow, this is great news.

I think.

Don't want to get the hopes up too much, you know?

franklin2323

Immortal
This new stand at nib cost in the region of $60-70mill. Seats around 14,000 and some, but not outstanding, corporate facilities. The Newcastle stands would be of a similiar size and cost I would think.

969004_10201512889522915_1852570103_n.jpg

WIN cost $23m though had Media room and GYM etc. Also had another stand to be taken down so you would think they can get a stand for $10m and build the rest later

beave

Coach
Latest in NQ's bid for a new stadium

http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2013/07/31/386425_news.html

stadium-wide.jpg

BUILDING a new superstadium and convention centre in the CBD is expected to cost about $300 million, only slightly more than what is needed to repair Townsville's ageing sporting and convention facilities.

It comes as the CBD superstadium and convention centre push received strong backing from the Townsville community, with a survey finding the majority of locals want the proposal turned into a reality.

The survey, which was completed by an independent consultant, found 76.5 per cent of respondents wanted the superstadium and convention centre to be built in the CBD.

The Bulletin understands building the tailor-made facility in the CBD would cost about $300 million. However, the estimated cost of refurbishing the western stand at 1300 SMILES Stadium is about $100 million, while the replacement cost of a new convention centre was estimated at $143 million and rated a more cost-effective option than fixing up the current facility to an international standard.

North Queensland Cowboys chief executive Peter Jourdain said he was worried ongoing construction at the club's home ground could dramatically decrease the revenue from ticket sales.

"We have been told that the western stand could be out of action for up to two years if it were upgraded, which would be a financial disaster for us," Mr Jourdain said.

"And why would you spend all that money and still have three other stands without any shelter from the rain?

"Building a new combined stadium and convention centre in the CBD would be good for our club, the Crocodiles (basketball club) and the whole city."

Townsville Enterprise chief executive David Kippin said the feasibility study for the superstadium is currently being worked on and is expected to highlight the ongoing maintenance savings possible with a combined facility.

"If you were to try to repair or refurbish both (the football stadium and the entertainment and convention centre) it would really be a case of throwing good money after bad," he said.

"There are likely to be substantial savings in terms of on-going maintenance if we build a new shared facility."

Mr Kippin said a delegation would head to Canberra to lobby both sides of politics on the benefits of the proposal, despite the feasibility study not being complete.

He said the superstadium project would bring great advantages to the region's indigenous athletes.

"The bulk of the nation's indigenous disadvantage is in Northern Australia, where Townsville is the largest city, and it's the logical location for the stadium and indigenous sport centre," Mr Kippin said.

Tourism Minister Jann Stuckey was in Townsville yesterday meeting with Townsville Enterprise to discuss a range of issues including the superstadium.

Ms Stuckey said Townsville was still in line to host basketball games as part of the 2018 Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.

"We have had meetings with cabinet members and Townsville Mayor (Jenny Hill) and councillors, so it is on our radar," she said.

Diesel

Referee
Nice to see a rectangular stadium and not a multi-purpose one for a change.

I hope for NQ fans this goes ahead

Last edited:

Stagger Lee

Bench
Great news on the Brookvale ground upgrade, I am happy for the Manly fans.

I hope they keep the hill behind the (northern?) goalposts.

Oh and a great F.U. to all the twits that were pushing for all Sydney teams to play out of a couple of stadiums in Sydney and Homebush

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Great news on the Brookvale ground upgrade, I am happy for the Manly fans.

I hope they keep the hill behind the (northern?) goalposts.

Oh and a great F.U. to all the twits that were pushing for all Sydney teams to play out of a couple of stadiums in Sydney and Homebush

not EVERY sydney team and definitely not manly, but this doesnt say shit about the future of the other teams.