What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

future signings????

V

Vasilevsky

Jack Bird is in his rookie season, and is a regular starter for the team currently running 6th (a team that won the spoon last year), in a key spine position - a position he barely played at all coming through the grades. I can't fathom how you wouldn't be impressed by that. He's a big talent.

I wouldn't buy too much into the Shonkies running 6th. They have beaten the Cowboys without Thurston, the Dragons NSW Cup team and the Warriors without Johnson. 3 games they would have almost certainly lost and with their for and against, that would have practically already put them out of finals contention.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
and a -34 in Points differential. Lowest of all the top 8. If they get 2 losses (they play Manly in Rd 26) and Manly, Dogs and Dragons can possibly overtake them and knock them out of the 8.

grouch

First Grade
I wouldn't buy too much into the Shonkies running 6th. They have beaten the Cowboys without Thurston, the Dragons NSW Cup team and the Warriors without Johnson. 3 games they would have almost certainly lost and with their for and against, that would have practically already put them out of finals contention.

Be careful when entering that rabbit hole.. you might need to apply that microscope to our own form. We beat the Dogs minus B Morris, Graham, Klemmer, Pritchard... Sharks minus Gallen, Warriors minus Johnson, Broncos the week after a huge game against Easts...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hey Grouch we should have beaten them with their full strength only for the ref to find a mystery knock on and give the Dogs the ball back after Dugan got picked up and put in goal for a drop out. Until those calls were made Dragons were cruising to a win. The got the momentum and the Saints got frustrated. That was the start of the 7 games losing streak of which 2 games should not have been losses and the Saints would be in front of the Sharks.

WreckTangle

Juniors
Be careful when entering that rabbit hole.. you might need to apply that microscope to our own form. We beat the Dogs minus B Morris, Graham, Klemmer, Pritchard... Sharks minus Gallen, Warriors minus Johnson, Broncos the week after a huge game against Easts...

lol what a dumb post.
We also lost a bucketload of games without half our squad. Watch that rabbit hole mate.

grouch

First Grade
lol what a dumb post.
We also lost a bucketload of games without half our squad. Watch that rabbit hole mate.

Wow what a charmer. Welcome to the forum.

My post contains facts, nothing more. Yours contains wild exaggeration.
I reckon Cronulla and a bunch of other teams could probably also exaggerate and say they lost "bucketloads of games without half their squad". That's my point. Other team's draws have been no kinder than ours

V

Vasilevsky

You mean to say B Morris is as important to the Dogs, Gallen as important to the Sharks as Thurston and Johnson are their teams? What an idiotic post.

WreckTangle

Juniors
Wow what a charmer. Welcome to the forum.

My post contains facts, nothing more. Yours contains wild exaggeration.
I reckon Cronulla and a bunch of other teams could probably also exaggerate and say they lost "bucketloads of games without half their squad". That's my point. Other team's draws have been no kinder than ours

Yep we lost a bucketload of games without half our squad. If you consider that a wild exaggeration that's fine. I don't.

Anyway thanks for the welcome. How long have you been a Sharks supporter?

Last edited:
V

Vasilevsky

Yep we lost a bucketload of games without half our squad. If you consider that a wild exaggeration that's fine. I don't.

Anyway thanks for the welcome. How long have you been a Sharks supporter?

Without half our squad is a reverse wild exaggeration for the second Shonkies game. It was Widdop and the NSW Cup squad vs the Shonkies.

grouch

First Grade
You mean to say B Morris is as important to the Dogs, Gallen as important to the Sharks as Thurston and Johnson are their teams? What an idiotic post.

Did you see how i mentioned Graham, Klemmer and Pritchard as well? Idiotic post indeed.

How many is a bucketload, exactly. And what figure is half the squad? 8.5, being half the 17? 12.5, being half the top 25? Or is it 16, being half the 32 listed on the player profile page of the website. Jesus this rabbit hole keeps getting stupider.

My point is Jack Bird is a gun player. We had him. We should have kept him.

WreckTangle

Juniors
Haha. So 'lots' and 'plenty' need to be substituted for exact figures? I'll keep that in mind.

Bird is a great talent but also an upstart that should have realised you earn your spot in first grade. Good luck to him and I hope he comes home one day.

V

Vasilevsky

Did you see how i mentioned Graham, Klemmer and Pritchard as well? Idiotic post indeed.

How many is a bucketload, exactly. And what figure is half the squad? 8.5, being half the 17? 12.5, being half the top 25? Or is it 16, being half the 32 listed on the player profile page of the website. Jesus this rabbit hole keeps getting stupider.

What has gotten into you? My criticism of the Shonkies seems to have left you in a terrible state of nervous irritation. Every team pretty much every round has injury problems but none as severe as the Dragons had in the Origin period, culminating in the last Shonkies game. Having said that, there are a few teams which are little more than a rabble without their main playmaker. Like the Warriors without Johnson (who were narrowly beaten by way of a freak try near the end against the Shonkies) and Cowboys without Thurston.

If the Shonkies make the 8, they will be out in the first week unless they play a team missing it's chief playmaker.

_Johnsy

Referee
Hey Grouch we should have beaten them with their full strength only for the ref to find a mystery knock on and give the Dogs the ball back after Dugan got picked up and put in goal for a drop out. Until those calls were made Dragons were cruising to a win. The got the momentum and the Saints got frustrated. That was the start of the 7 games losing streak of which 2 games should not have been losses and the Saints would be in front of the Sharks.

TBH mate, that sounds like "but, but, but, but, but".

We couldn't get the job done when it mattered, plain & simple.

Get2dachopper!

Juniors
We don't seem to have a good recent record of players coming back after they leave.........Mackay, Mundine, Scott, latest being Gasnier.

But ever since Josh Morris left, seems to be some stigma associated with the Dragons, they are very reluctant to pay players what they are worth on the open market. In short, I'd be surprised if Bird ever returned.

Fingerbang

Bench
And what should we have done to keep him? He was off contract, offered a renewal by us, but decided to go with another offer. All his own doing.

Ok, so you probably gonna say give him the 1st grade spot he wanted. In place of Marshall or Widdop? Nothing wrong with a kid from 20's biding him time to prove he is worthy of a 1st grade spot.

giboz71

First Grade
We can argue all we want about Bird leaving. None of us know the real reason.

But if the primary reason why he left was that the Sharks offered him a better chance for playing FG, then its a monumental stuff up.

We had a prop playing half last game, while our anointed back up sat getting cold. Our starting centres at the beginning of the year were Farrell and Nielsen. Nabuli, Hunt and Green have all had time playing wing. Jake Marketo has had a bench spot all year.

Bird is a better option than any of the above and could have played practically every game. Why we chose not to give him that shot I'll never know.

players worth on the open market lol did you ever stop to consider certain players think they are worth more than they actually are.

bird didn't want to wait and left end of story.

BennyV

Referee
We can argue all we want about Bird leaving. None of us know the real reason.

But if the primary reason why he left was that the Sharks offered him a better chance for playing FG, then its a monumental stuff up.

We had a prop playing half last game, while our anointed back up sat getting cold. Our starting centres at the beginning of the year were Farrell and Nielsen. Nabuli, Hunt and Green have all had time playing wing. Jake Marketo has had a bench spot all year.

Bird is a better option than any of the above and could have played practically every game. Why we chose not to give him that shot I'll never know.

This. Was obvious that the kid was talented, if that was the sticking point then we should have told him he could start the year off the bench, if he makes the most of it there will be a spot in the team the rest of the year.