What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Future summers schedules

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
How future summers should occur
3 match ODI series v Tourists 1
ADL - NOV 31
PER - DEC 2
HBA - NOV 6

3 match test series v Tourists 1
BNE - DEC 10 - 14
MEL - DEC 26 - 30
SYD - JAN 2 - 6

7 match Twenty/20 tri series tournament V
Tourists 1 and Tourist 2

AUS V Tourist 1
AUS v Tourist 2
__________SYD
2 Games same day - JAN 10
Tourist 1 v Tourist 2
Tourist 1 v AUS
__________BNE
2 Games same day - JAN 12
Tourist 2 V Tourist 1
Tourist 2 V AUS
__________PER
2 Games same day - JAN 14
Final
__________MEL JAN 16

3 match ODI series v Tourists 2
BNE - JAN 18
SYD - JAN 19
MEL - JAN 21

3 match test series v Tourists 2
ADL - JAN 26 - 30
PER - FEB 8 - 12
HBA - FEB 14 - 16

Forty days of Cricket

For the cricketer
40 days of work over 3 months, ODIs to tests, twenty/20s, ODIs to tests.

For the Admin and TV
40 days of crowds and ratings over 3 months, no dead days, AUS always plays.

Early NOV needs to have the full squad (All AUS players) should be available for two games of Shield and one game of Ranger Cup before first squad is announced.

NB Some dates will change marginally each years to co-inside with weekends.

Discuss.

Bazal

Post Whore
I dunno about the T20s...having two on the same day kind of defeats the purpose IMO. People are loving T20 cos they can pop down after work and school, watch a good few hours of cricket and still be home in time for a decent sleep before work the next day. Not to mention kids and others with short attention spans. Two T20s on the same day may as well be an ODI...

Other than that, I like it. The ODIs before the Tests allow for players to warm up and finalise their places in the side. Of course, it would have to change for things like the Ashes, which should always be 5 Tests, but then you could just have a 2 Test series against NZ or someone before hand with the Ashes starting on either the Boxing Day or New Years Test. I'd have two 5 match ODI series, two 3 match Test series, and a three match T20 series personally...

IanG

Coach
Don't fix something that's not broken. I say bring back the tri series but it probably wont happen. Still a shame really. People refer to other triangular one day comps played in other parts of the world as Micky Mouse torunement. It's sad that the one that started it all has been consined to the waste paper basket.

Also don't go over the top with Twenty20 Cricket. Whilst I love it keep it in small doses.

The Observer

Staff member
Mr Angry, its a decent proposal. I'd suggest 1 20/20, 3 ODIs and 3 tests, to keep each series short and sweet (except for 5 test Ashes). Maybe they could be played in that order, in order to allow the shorter formats to act as preparation for the longer formats?

This way, each series (the sum of test/ODI/20/20) against another nation could last about a month in duration. In between each series, perhaps a fortnight to a month break would help the players rest and recharge. So maybe host one nation in December, the second in February (or at least, from mid January). That would allow a few weeks off before players went to the IPL.

The Observer

Staff member
I'd like to see tours organised on a regional lines - we host nations from a geographic region, then tour those same nations in the same season. NZ could follow the same schedule as us.

Atlantic pool - South Africa and West Indies
Europe-Asia pool - England and Pakistan
Indian Sub Continent/South Asian pool - India and Sri Lanka
Pacific pool - Australia and NZ

This would give Future tours more meaning, test and ODI series more value, and pair strong national teams with weaker teams. So, for a four year cycle of tours:
1st year - South Africa and West Indies
2nd year - England and Pakistan
3rd year - India and Sri Lanka
4th year - New Zealand and World Cups (ODI and 20/20)

For Ashes year, the tour should occur in one country only. In one cycle, we would host England, then four years later, England host us, and so on. That would really build the series into something rare and valuable, like Rugby Union's Lions tour.

While this would leave Zimbabwe and Bangladesh out, perhaps they could be build up by hosting series against Associate nations, national A teams, Development teams or provincial teams. E.g. Bangladesh could host a series against a touring Australia A team, but if they tour here, could play games against NSW, QLD, Vic etc.