What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GABBA 2nd Test: Australia v India Dec 17-21, 2014

TheParraboy

Staff member
How good is test cricket eh?

Clarke will be out

Hazlewood in for Siddle perhaps?

Cant see India making a bit of a game of it like in Adelaide in this one

chigurh

Hazlewood has to come in for Siddle - and I was supportive of Siddle being picked for Adelaide.

He's always bowled with heart, but when his speed drops to 125 km he has freakin nothing.

I assume Marsh in for Clarke will be the only other change.

Either Sean Marsh or Ed Cowan in for Clarke and Hazlewood in for Siddle.

I'd like Watson replaced too but it won't happen.

8Ball

First Grade
I think it was telling that Siddle only got 9 overs today.

Rogers is probably safe for the rest of the series cause of the injury to Clarke. Although a couple more centuries from Cowan might force the issue..

aussies1st

Staff member
Shaun already called up for 2nd test so we'll have brothers playing together again. Starc added to the squad but surely Haze will get a go.

blaza88z

Coach
How close do guys think Rogers is to getting the chop?

He will get another game or 2 until we stop winning which I don't agree with, he's just lucky Warner didn't fail in either innings or that opens up our middle order with Watson at 3 he never gets a big score in high pressure situations

JW

Coach
Clarke openly ponders playing future

Adam Burnett

Captain all but rules himself out of India Tests, concedes career uncertain
A pragmatic Michael Clarke has conceded that his Test future is contingent on his ongoing back and hamstring issues, with the national captain admitting "there's a chance I could never play again".

Clarke's disappointing news took the gloss off a remarkable Australian victory in the first Commonwealth Bank Test at the Adelaide Oval, as he spoke post match of the injury problem after earlier having scans on the troublesome right hamstring that ended his match midway through an absorbing final day.

"The scans are not great," Clarke told media after play. "They've certainly shown a tear there - the experts are looking at the moment.

"I can pretty confidently say that I won't take part in this Test series unfortunately, and then I'll wait on the experts' advice and opinions on what I need to do to get back out on the park."
Clarke pulled up sore after he sprinted and bent down to stop a ball in the field, clutching at the problem area.

He was immediately taken to hospital for scans, but was quick to state he did not rue taking part in the match.

Bupa Support Team physio Alex Kountouris rushed onto the field as Clarke lay on the ground, before the skipper slowly limped off the playing arena with Kountouris by his side.

"I don’t have one regret (about playing this match), this was the most important Test match of my career,” said Clarke, referring to the emotional context of the match in the aftermath of the tragic passing of his close friend Phillip Hughes.

"I have no regrets about playing in this Test, I have no regrets about going back onto the field after I retired hurt ... the rest will take care of itself," he said.

"I'll be guided by the experts and hopefully I get another opportunity to play throughout this summer.

"I don't know exactly how long I'm going to be out for - I think our first World Cup practice game is eight weeks away.

"I'd love to take part in the Tri-Series (against India and England in January), I'd love to take part in the World Cup, but I just have to wait and see.

"There's a chance I could never play again - I hope that's not the case and I'll be doing everything in my power to get back out on the park, but I think I've got to be realistic as well."

Pressed on the comment that he may never play again, Clarke added: "I think (with) my body in general, there's always that risk.

"You know, this is a different hamstring - I did my left hamstring, I've done the right side of my back, I've just done my right hammy ... obviously I've got injury concerns at the moment, now I have to go back and do what the experts tell me to give myself the best chance of being fully fit, but I think I have to be honest with myself and have a good hard think about things, definitely."

Clarke posted a courageous hundred during the first innings of the match despite being forced to retire hurt on 60 midway through the opening day with a back injury.

Speaking before day two, Kountouris said Clarke's lower right back injury was "probably" unrelated to the left hamstring injury he suffered during a one-day match against South Africa last month.

That injury, the third time he's hurt his left hamstring this year, had put Clarke in doubt for this Test, but he was cleared to play by medical staff on Monday.

At this point it is whether or not the captain's right lower-back injury is related to this latest hamstring issue.

The early stages of day five initially hinted at a slight improvement in Clarke's condition, after he took up his regular position at first slip to the spin of Steve Smith just before lunch.

But such optimism was short-lived, with the 33-year-old now set for another stint of rehabilitation on a body that continues to frustrate both himself and his legion of supporters.
http://www.cricket.com.au/news/michael-clarke-injured-day-five-adelaide-australia-india/2014-12-13

unbreaK

Juniors
Honestly wouldn't be surprised if he retires from the game, these constant injuries are just getting ridiculous, such a shame.

My team for Brisbane -

1. Cowan
2. Warner
3. Watson
4. Smith
5. S.Marsh
6. M.Marsh
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Hazlewood
10. Harris
11. Lyon

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if he retires from the game, these constant injuries are just getting ridiculous, such a shame.

My team for Brisbane -

1. Cowan
2. Warner
3. Watson
4. Smith
5. S.Marsh
6. M.Marsh
7. Haddin
8. Johnson
9. Hazlewood
10. Harris
11. Lyon

Lolz Watson

unbreaK

Juniors
Lolz Watson

It's bad enough that we'll be making 3 changes in between tests, I'm fine with giving Watson another go, especially seeing as he'll probably be Vice Captain.

But if he fails again and doesn't do anything with the ball in Brisbane.. then we might have to think about dropping him, for good.

vvvrulz

Coach
His whole test career is a failure

I never get the constant Shane Watson hate, achieving a test career double of batting avg. 35 / bowling avg. 32 is a very solid career. Sure its frustrating he doesn't convert starts, but he can certainly play. Not to mention his body is made of glass and is forced to keep fighting his way back from injury.

He's no Kallis or Botham, but name me players currently in Australia clearly better than him.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
The fact that Marcus North has scored 1 more Test ton than Watto despite 60 odd less innings should be enough information to show you what a disappointment Watto is.