What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallen paid by NRL to play villain in Origin

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/paul-g...n-series/c3d4d831-2aeb-49cd-9991-cb7199c46546

Retiring NRL great Paul Gallen has revealed a back-room agreement he had with the NRL to play the villain during Origin series past, in order to promote the games and boost sales for games played at neutral venues (Melbourne).

According to Nine NRL reporter Danny Weidler, the Sharks captain was given a secret financial incentive by the NRL in order to play 'the bad guy'.

Gallen told Nine News he played his role perfectly.

"It was part and parcel of where the Origin series was at," Gallen said.

"NSW was struggling at the time, and we needed something to keep the promotion of the game going."

"That (something) was me, and I did a good job of it!"

Gallen also opened up on how the wounds of the 2011 ASADA scandal still hadn't healed, and that he was hung out to dry through the whole process.

"(A lawyer) told me very early on that it would be a very individual thing not a club thing."

"It hurt me. We all know what happened, and at the end of the day, me being who I was at the time, it fell a lot on my shoulders."

Gallen plays his final home game at Shark Park this weekend against the Canberra Raiders. He has played 345 matches for Cronulla, and captained the side to a memorable premiership in 2016

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/paul-g...n-series/c3d4d831-2aeb-49cd-9991-cb7199c46546

In a salary cap competition it’s great that the NRL does secret back room payments to some players

Also a concern that the NRL would pay someone to play villain , what else has the NRL done to contrive the atmosphere or results of games

This definitely does not pass the pub test for sporting contests , WWE maybe

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
In a salary cap competition it’s great that the NRL does secret back room payments to some players

Also a concern that the NRL would pay someone to play villain , what else has the NRL done to contrive the atmosphere or results of games

This definitely does not pass the pub test for sporting contests , WWE maybe
Last I checked:
  • Origin isn't a salary capped competition, players are paid 30K per game outside the cap. Origin is only relevant to the salary cap if his club contract includes bonuses for Origin selection.
  • The NRL gets hammered for not adequately promoting and marketing the game - contriving atmosphere like this seems like a fairly clever idea?
I might understand your point if this applied to the NRL, but it's Origin. Next.

King hit

Coach
Everybody hated it when Gallen would stir hate but now everyone thinks it’s boring because nobody says anything. I’m all for the teams sledging each other. Makes some good theatre

The Great Dane

First Grade
I can't believe people are surprised when they find out that this sort of stuff goes on.

I'd be surprised if I found out that the NRL (or any other organisation for that matter) weren't trying to manipulate public perceptions from behind the scenes, sport is just another form of entertainment after all, they have to keep things spicy otherwise it's not entertaining.

It’d be strange if they encouraged him to be a bad guy and then sanctioned him for smashing The Hot-Stepper.

Last edited:

ram raid

Bench
I wonder if the punch that ended all punches was the result of this acting .. intriguing.

gordsy

Juniors
Typical nrl someone has the good sense to do this but no one thinks to get Gal to sign an nda about this.

Latest posts