What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop likens Storm fans to terrorists!

El Diablo

Post Whore
You're a funny bugger.

One minute your posting funny pictures of Gallop and bagging him over his lack of action on behalf of Melb rugby league fans and their TV coverage woes. The next minute you cast him as a hero over the Storm salary cap issue and defend him to hilt. Do you like him or not?? I'd be interested to find out.

I'm not sure which team you support, but if that particular team was stripped of a premiership, I'd bet Gallop would get the same reaction. It's what "passionate" fans do.

He was booed ffs and as you'd well know Storm fans have a few reasons to feel aggrieved. Had someone thrown something at him or tried to assault him in some way then I would be dead against that and he'd every right to react.

But he was f**king booed. for f**ks sake!!

If he was smart he would have visited AAMI Park and Brookvale Oval a lot earlier in the season.

just because i think he's a bit of a dud doesn't mean i think like you and somehow he has wronged the Storm

it's one of the things he did well

and they were booing because the Storm were punished for cheating

they blame him and so do you for agreeing with them

Last edited:

RHCP

Bench
Don't see the big deal. Sport, especially league, is always compared with war, which is just as serious an issue as terrorism. They're almost one in the same really, just without the idealised views of warfare.

But it's Melbourne, so I'm sure the whingers will be out in force about mean old Mr. Gallop.

LESStar58

Referee
he didn't send Hartigan down

your mob cheated and got caught yet most of you blame Gallop

Point taken. Hartigan went down there to take care of business from, I guess, a "business" point of view as he heads up News Limited in this country.

Still, here is the game in quite possibly it's biggest disaster since Super League and the CEO hands out the penalties he felt are deserving and then washes his hands of the whole situation more or less. Sure, he came down in October but, again, I don't feel he did himself any favors by distancing himself for as long as he did. He's the one charged with running the game after all.

Just sayin'.

LESStar58

Referee
Conversation I had with a storm 'fan' in 2006...(based on a slightly unreliable memory)

Moi: So who are you going for now that the Demons have been knocked out?
Melbournian: Noone. I'm following NRL now. I'm going for the storm.
Moi: But you don't know anything about league.
Melbournian: Yes I do. I've been following the storm since I was a kid.
Moi: Don't you mean since you were 19?
Melbournian: How long have they been around?
Moi: Not long.
Melbournian: That doesn't matter. I'm a big fan.
Moi: It's the first time I've heard you mention them.
Melbournian: No it's not.
Moi: Have you ever been to olympic park?
Melbournian: Where's that?
Moi: Next to the G.
Melbournian: Oh.
Moi: Who's your favourite storm player?
Melbournian: Umm...
Moi: Gee you're ridiculous.
Melbournian: Billy Lockyer's my favourite. He's good isn't he?
Moi: Do you always wear such tight jeans?
Melbournian: Piss off H******.

Wait a minute.... are you that bloke from the Telegraph who walked around Bourke Street Mall with photos of Storm players a few years back? :sarcasm:

El Diablo

Post Whore
why would he come down when the fans behave like animals and boo and abuse him for something Wally Waldron & co did?

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Victorians are the most precious little things in the country.

They hate RL, but as soon as Victoria is involved, they go off their heads.

Brutus

Referee
He used a analogy, who gives a shit you pack of precious princesses.

And probably the worst analogy I have ever heard (there I said it again).

"I've got a great idea; let's use a terrorism analogy to make a point about a few harmless boos."

Anyway it's a few of em talking real footy in Melb so that's good.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
And probably the worst analogy I have ever heard (there I said it again).

"I've got a great idea; let's use a terrorism analogy to make a point about a few harmless boos."

Anyway it's a few of em talking real footy in Melb so that's good.

he was abused and booed because they cheated

you think this is OK though because somehow the Storm were wronged for being punished :crazy:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
He's already admitted it was a poor choice of analogy. Doesn't make it wrong though, his point was still accurate and true.

Brutus

Referee
he was abused and booed because they cheated

you think this is OK though because somehow the Storm were wronged for being punished :crazy:

And any team's fans would have done the same thing in the same situation.

Storm fans also have a legitimate gripe with the poor TV coverage.

He got booed El D...that's all. Booed. It's been done a million times before and people will continue to be booed well into the future. It's a common legal form of behavior. Fans are fans. They are passionate about their team which is bloody good to see in Melbourne when it comes to rugby league.

It's the first time I've ever agreed with Demetriou. In a polite sort of way he said David needs to grow a set. Any normal CEO or politician would have just brushed it off and moved on instead of fuelling the fire that will now continue to burn.

Last time I checked only a fool would use such an analogy in relation to sport.

What's foolish about it?

You guys make me laugh, all this faux outrage whenever terrorism is mentioned, but half of you are the same ones running around talking about the pc media and political correctness gone mad.

If someone made this analogy before America was attacked, nobody gives a shit. You could openly make these sort of analogies when the IRA was running about, nobody batted an eyelid.

The American propaganda machine has you people brainwashed.

The analogy was perfectly valid, nothing foolish about it. What's foolish is the over the top reaction to his comments by the human drones, parroting w/e the media says about the supposedly offensive comments

Hoggy

Bench
I downloaded an NFL game a while ago and they showed the NFL commissioner at the game (San Diego @ Oakland FWIW), and they said that he makes an effort to go to every single ground at least once during a regular season.

Now there are 32 teams in the NFL and I believe it is a 17 week season, meaning he will be going to two games a week pretty much every week, and considering almost every game is on a Sunday, that is a fair effort.

Sunday was the first time he has been to AAMI Park, it has taken 17 months, and he basically had to go. I'm not sure how many games he actually goes to, but as the boss of the entire league, surely it would be somewhere in the job description to actually support the game in a positive sense.

I heard his interview this morning on SEN down here (it may have already been mentioned, I didn't read every page). He got genuinely smashed in the interview. It was borderline embarrassing. Unfortunately it's not on the website yet.

My post is not reflective of anything re: the rorts, certain people did certain things, we got punished. Fair enough. My post is more concerned with the fact that this "man" is in charge of a multi million dollar sport. He can't hack booing. How thin skinned can you be? I'm a primary school teacher...5 year old children come up to you at yard duty and say that sort of shit. He has never made any sort of effort to get Channel 9 games on a decent time (use Gem or Go ffs).

He can't even wear a tie to a presentation of an award.

sp00042278-image.jpg

AND HE NEVER SMILES...HE ACTUALLY COMES ACROSS AS A ROBOT!

Note - for what it's worth, after the St.Kilda vs Collingwood game earlier this year I saw Brian Waldron outside Etihad Stadium walking back to his car/tram/underground lair. I instantly went insanely mad, and the only thing that stopped me going ballistic in his face, was the fact that he was with his young daughter. Time and place.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Seriously? You think the analogy of motivation for terrorists killing innocent people and fans booing someone they don't like is a fair analogy?

Geez I hope the next time a chant of the "referees a wayne kerr" goes up Gallop is eqaully as condeming in this outrageous passionate behaviour!

If they were rioting and burning down the sticks in protest then fair enough, you would condemn their behaviour but to slate them for booing, especially Gallop of all people!, and then he goes on the next day to suggest everyone who booed supports cheating is just mind boggling stuff for a CEO of a major sports code to be coming out with.

El Diablo

Post Whore

what a load of crap

why would they?

he didn't wrong them. only Storm fans and you think that

you probably whinged last year when crowds booed Storm players and flashed cash at them

he was never abused and booed in the past

it was solely for cheating which you agree with them on

He got booed El D...that's all. Booed.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...th-of-storm-fans/story-e6frg7mf-1226134292191

What he got in return was a gobful from the fans who filled the AAMI Park grandstands. Gallop was booed when he took the field. He was booed when he took the microphone. He was booed when he made his speech. And he was booed when eventually he left the field. The crowd was little more than 14,000 but Storm aficionados could barely remember a noise like it, even when the ground was at full capacity.

At one point, a pocket of supporters started chanting "Gallop is a wanker". Another fan held up a T-shirt which read 'f**k Gallop'. If yesterday was any indication, the supporters still carry a grudge over the NRL's decision to heavily sanction the club for its rorting of the cap.

Walt Flanigan

Referee

He got booed El D...that's all. Booed. It's been done a million times before and people will continue to be booed well into the future. It's a common legal form of behavior. Fans are fans. They are passionate about their team which is bloody good to see in Melbourne when it comes to rugby league.

It's the first time I've ever agreed with Demetriou. In a polite sort of way he said David needs to grow a set. Any normal CEO or politician would have just brushed it off and moved on instead of fuelling the fire that will now continue to burn.

I think it's you and Storm fans that need to grow a set.

They booed him. He fired one back.......so what? Now they're having a sulk about it.

Surely if they can dish it out they can take it right?

.........and for what? A punishment they deserved?

Don't give me the line that it's because of how the game is run because it's crap. There are several comments from Storm fans on the DT site attributing it directly to the severity of the punishment.

They systematically cheated and deserved everything they got.