What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop likens Storm fans to terrorists!

Garts

Bench
A Manly fan calling another fan base precious princesses....and i actually think he's serious :lol:

I am serious. And yes we have precious fans, I wont argue that. There is probably Manly fans whinging about this as well, we know we love Gallop.

Saying the word muslim is racist too so be careful.

No it isn't. I say Muslim all the time, I criticise Islam all the time, and not once have I ever in my life been accused of racism

Strange how some of us can do the above without being accused of racism, while people like you can't. Very suspicious.

Brutus

Referee
Seriously? You think the analogy of motivation for terrorists killing innocent people and fans booing someone they don't like is a fair analogy?

Geez I hope the next time a chant of the "referees a wayne kerr" goes up Gallop is eqaully as condeming in this outrageous passionate behaviour!

If they were rioting and burning down the sticks in protest then fair enough, you would condemn their behaviour but to slate them for booing, especially Gallop of all people!, and then he goes on the next day to suggest everyone who booed supports cheating is just mind boggling stuff for a CEO of a major sports code to be coming out with.

Fully agree.

Regardless of what we think about the whole cheating saga, it was a dumb response by the NRL CEO. Should have just brushed it off.

Instead, next time David goes to AAMI Park he'll cop the same response.

Brutus

Referee
I think it's you and Storm fans that need to grow a set.

They booed him. He fired one back.......so what? Now they're having a sulk about it.

Surely if they can dish it out they can take it right?

.........and for what? A punishment they deserved?

Don't give me the line that it's because of how the game is run because it's crap. There are several comments from Storm fans on the DT site attributing it directly to the severity of the punishment.

They systematically cheated and deserved everything they got.

Fair enough. They cheated and got what they deserved.

But if David wants to keep fuelling the fire with silly comments then on it will go....

Perth Red

Post Whore
No it isn't. I say Muslim all the time, I criticise Islam all the time, and not once have I ever in my life been accused of racism

Strange how some of us can do the above without being accused of racism, while people like you can't. Very suspicious.

It's all in the context! One can only imagine how Packy has been using the word.

squeeze

Juniors
what i find funny is, either just b4 or just after he came out we paused for a minute silence in remembrance of 9/11. A few hr's later he comes out with that analogy. what a drop kick.

El Diablo

Post Whore
I think it's you and Storm fans that need to grow a set.

They booed him. He fired one back.......so what? Now they're having a sulk about it.

Surely if they can dish it out they can take it right?

.........and for what? A punishment they deserved?

Don't give me the line that it's because of how the game is run because it's crap.
There are several comments from Storm fans on the DT site attributing it directly to the severity of the punishment.

They systematically cheated and deserved everything they got.

correct

if it were for that then he would have copped that treatment in the past in Melbourne and at every other clubs J J Giltinan Shield presentation

fact is it has never happened before yesterday and there is only one reason for that

Storm fans think they should not have been punished for cheating every player and fan from the other 15 clubs

Glenn

First Grade
The usual persecution complex coming from Melbourne again.
Gallop never said the Storm fans were terrorists, used a bad analogy yes but never directly called them terrorists.
A Manly vs Melbourne GF would send the sook-o-meter off the scale.

What a f**kwit. And I actually think he's right in this 'debate' against the Storm and some of their fans. But when you go and throw around a word like 'terrorist' so casually, you're begging neutrals to turn against you and have your words twisted by the media and those who already don't like you.

ter·ror·ist

noun 1. a person, usually a member of a group, who uses or advocates terrorism.

2. a person who terrorizes or frightens others.

ter·ror·ism

noun 1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, especially for political purposes.

2. the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terrorization.

3. a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

Gallop governs the NRL, the Melbourne scum go out of their way to try and intimidate and coerce Gallop for political gains. Terrorism sounds like a very apt analogy, don't you think?

"throw around a world like terrorism so casually"

I can't believe you people. What's wrong with using that word? Why couldn't someone casually use it?

big_matt

Juniors
correct

if it were for that then he would have copped that treatment in the past in Melbourne and at every other clubs J J Giltinan Shield presentation

fact is it has never happened before yesterday and there is only one reason for that

Storm fans think they should not have been punished for cheating every player and fan from the other 15 clubs

Interesting.

I was at the game and was booing Gallop for the following reasons:
1) His absolute refusal to try and grow the game in Victoria and stand up to channel 9 here
2) The ridiculous penalties handed out after Brookvale (1 week for Brett Stewart?????)
3) The "don't you just love monday night football" text to Searle when Titans beat us

I wasn't booing him for the salary cap issues, and I presume neither were the Knights fans in our row who were booing louder than anyone else.

So no, you are not correct in your assumptions about everyone's reasons for booing, even though you seem to be some kind of expert on what Storm fans are thinking.

And even if some of the booing was for the salary cap penalties, there is nothing wrong with fans voicing their opinion on how harsh they were. Tigers got a huge fine in March for being well over the cap, but they didn't get a single point deducted. Victoria Police themselves said the nrl had 'jumped to conclusions' and there is nothing wrong with getting that message across to moron gallop. Doesn't mean they are saying it's right or clever to cheat, they just maybe disagree with the severity of the punishment). We live in a democracy these days, and last time I checked voicing your opinion wasn't illegal.

If you are happy with the CEO and figurehead of your sport throwing around words like 'terrorists' on the 9/11 anniversary to describe a few people booing him for a laugh then that's fine - but its not a good look for the sport as a whole.

Last edited:

STORM.99/07

Bench
correct

How many times do people have to be told that we have accepted the penalties handed down to Storm, the fact the ceo of the nrl has ignored our club for the last 18 mths first attendance at a STORM game in 2 seasons,bad TV broadcasting into Melbourne etc etc is the reason we booed him on Sun. The other week the manly officials were thinking of hiring extra security at the game that giddyup was attending in 2 yrs but did he liken them to terrorists. He is an ABSOLUTE DISGRACE as a ceo of our great game.

And probably the worst analogy I have ever heard (there I said it again).

"I've got a great idea; let's use a terrorism analogy to make a point about a few harmless boos."

Anyway it's a few of em talking real footy in Melb so that's good.

The analogy isn't bad. Just because you're soft and overly emotional doesn't make the analogy bad.

Explain how it's the worst analogy ever.

a·nal·o·gy

noun, plural -gies. 1.a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump.

2.similarity or comparability: I see no analogy between your problem and mine.

The analogy is perfectly valid.

Lowdown

Juniors
So...what do we know?

Storm fans are angry. Manly fans are using this as a good reason to get the boot into Gallop.

Clear headed fans from other clubs are seeing this as another example of why the game needs better than Gallop to lead the game forward.

Every other fan that hates the Storm, for whatever reason - and they are numerous but mostly relate to jealousy - will use this as a reason to vent their hatred towards Storm supporters and the Storm in general.

And life goes on...

big_matt

Juniors
The analogy isn't bad. Just because you're soft and overly emotional doesn't make the analogy bad.

Explain how it's the worst analogy ever.

a·nal·o·gy

noun, plural -gies. 1.a similarity between like features of two things, on which a comparison may be based: the analogy between the heart and a pump.

2.similarity or comparability: I see no analogy between your problem and mine.

The analogy is perfectly valid.

Can you explain how its valid.

What are the "similar features" of people engaging in genuine terrorism (taking lives etc) and a few people booing at a sports event?

I'm trying to find even a tenuous link there.

Even Gallop has been forced to apologise for the unacceptable comments today.

He's admitted he's in the wrong. Are you still supporting the views he's admitted were wrong?