What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop likens Storm fans to terrorists!

sting

Bench
With a smile and grace probably, not whinging in the media like some stood up tart and insulting the people who are part of paying his wages. I am amazed that people are actually siding with Gallop on this. It was a ridiculous statement to make and simply not good enough from the games CEO.

Johns and Lewis were booed by opposition fans because they were so good! It was almost a compliment, and the opposition fans way of acknowledging they were excellent players albeit in a begrudging fashion. Totally different.

LOL @ everyone here for not being able to comprehend what Gallop actually said and just going with sensationalist media opinion.

sretsoor

Juniors
LOL @ everyone here for not being able to comprehend what Gallop actually said and just going with sensationalist media opinion.

Lol agreed. As an analogy on passion not making it 'right', it was perfect. But alas, everyone is 'too precious' these days with social media and everyone trying to find a scandal in every quote given.

danny_luczak

Juniors
Gallop has no idea how to deal with Melbourne. It seems that he literally doesn't want the club to succeed. Terrorists... pfft.

Melbourne fans booing him? Sure he's added fuel to the fire in the past few years, but no matter what he did or didn't do, he'd be booed because he's the CEO of the NRL. You get the same at AFL finals when Demetriou is announced.

And it's just bull crap that you guys still think the majority of Storm fans haven't accepted their penalty. I have, I've moved on. But if this prick can't deal with a bit of booing, then he needs to get out of his job now, because just being the CEO of the NRL doesn't make you friends... Being a crap one... well that does even less favours...

He deserves all he gets. There is no doubt in my mind that he would be booed at a Sydney based game in similar circumstances, it's just that everyone on this forum thinks Melbourne has an extra motive... which is debatable...

He really does no good for league in Melbourne, the AFL CEO would never produce this tripe in regards to their expansions into non-heartland areas. Cos you just cannot afford to!

Perth Red

Post Whore
I think the shocked reaction of the DJ's sums up what everyone who doesn't hate the Storm will think when they read or hear what he said.

10 out of 10 for originality though, I've never heard a sports CEO discuss their own passionate fans and terrorists in the same conversation before!

El Diablo

Post Whore
I think the shocked reaction of the DJ's sums up what everyone who doesn't hate the Storm will think when they read or hear what he said.

10 out of 10 for originality though, I've never heard a sports CEO discuss their own passionate fans and terrorists in the same conversation before!

i've never heard a CEO bag out a team like this either http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/afl/dont-blame-us-for-boring/story-e6frexx0-1111115923085

Andrew Demetriou described the Swans' style as "ugly'' and bad for the game back in 2005

Perth Red

Post Whore

Gallop managed to bag every club in Sydney back in the Centenary year when he launched into his attack at their poor finances and likelihood of extinction.

NRL chief executive David Gallop has revived the possibility of mergers, after this week's warning some Sydney clubs face extinction. Gallop reminded Sydney's financially strapped clubs to consider merging by waving an $8 million amalgamation package in front of every club CEO during this week's two-day conference.

Last edited:

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
over reaction. People have reacted to one word in this article and not even bothered to consider the context.

firechild

First Grade

Good thing there are only enough of those people to count on your fingers. If you want to add the Storm supporters you might have to take your socks off.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
does anyone think that what he has done has automatically increased the number of Storm members and got Melbourne talking about League? Melbourne has a massive "Us vs Them" mentality when it comes to NRL and RU.

The last bit of negativity he sent the Storms way was the Salary Cap Punnihsment. Storm support grew very quickly almost overnight.

He knows that good news stories about NRL don't get mentioned at all in melbourne.

But the controversial ones do.

Ozzy

First Grade
Here's what he said:

"I never really go for that whole passion line. I mean, terrorists are passionate about what they do and, you know, that doesn't make it right"

The context of this quote was the discussion about the actions of Melbourne fans, so in that respect I believe there is a comparison made. If there was no comparison made, be it excplicit or implied, then this thread would not exist.
No, if people didn't misread what he said this thread wouldn't exist.

Perth Red

Post Whore

It was his reaction to clubs trying to claim poverty to improve the pokie tax situation. His comments enflamed the situation and led to countless stories about Sydney clubs dieing, and all this in a year that was supposed to be a clebration of the game.

http://www.theburrow.net.au/nrl-fixtures-2011/1361-mergers-are-back-on-nrl-agenda

http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/sydney-clubs-will-die-warns-gallop/2008/05/20/1211182802049.html

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...swift-extinction/story-e6frg7mo-1111116396286

etc etc

Perth Red

Post Whore
:lol:

Love the media beat up, keeps the NRL on everyone's lips.

you don't think a great finals series would have been a better way?:roll:

A good ceo would have turned it around, used it as a positive to talk up the finalss and helped build some bridges. Unfortunatley we do not have a good ceo.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
It was his reaction to clubs trying to claim poverty to improve the pokie tax situation. His comments enflamed the situation and led to countless stories about Sydney clubs dieing, and all this in a year that was supposed to be a clebration of the game.

http://www.theburrow.net.au/nrl-fixtures-2011/1361-mergers-are-back-on-nrl-agenda

http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/sydney-clubs-will-die-warns-gallop/2008/05/20/1211182802049.html

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...swift-extinction/story-e6frg7mo-1111116396286

etc etc

so you told a lie

El Diablo

Post Whore
:lol:

Love the media beat up, keeps the NRL on everyone's lips.

Sky News are the worst

they keep mentioning this every 15 minutes and lie saying Gallop now greatly regrets it

this isn't trure at all

to top it off they now got an opionion on it from the AFL CEO

yoiu will never hear a bad word about AFL on Sky News though

LESStar58

Referee
I didn't boo him but treated the booing of Gallop on Sunday like a rape joke or a racist joke; I still laughed no matter how wrong it was.

I have no problems with the penalties. I've moved on from it but my biggest criticism of him was how he handled it in the direct aftermath. For instance, its one thing to send Hartigan down to talk about the players but why couldn't he come himself? Sure he came when the season was over but surely he could have made a bit more of an effort to take time out to talk with the players. And then of course it was reported that he snubbed the Storm players during Origin.

I think we can all agree that the NRLs reaction on April 22 last year was justified but I think that he did himself no favours by distancing himself in the manner he did. Hate to make comparisons but I'd be interested to see how Vlad Demitriou would react to something like this.

As for the actual booing; David, harden up. If the Storm make the grand final, they'll be booed. If they win the premiership they'll be booed and of course you will get the criticism of how the Storm still won with an "illegal team" and we will be given every reason under the sun as to why they don't deserve it. Do you think the players or fans will care? Doubtful.

Latest posts