What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop on the money

Get rid of Sydney clubs, piss off half your audience and watch TV money shrink. The only reason RL competes with AFL is because we are top dog in Sydney no other reason. League will never get crowds like AFL, however we may get 20,000 plus average this should be our goal.

Besides the Broncos just about EVERY other club has experienced financial difficulties at some time, including those outside Sydney.

Geesus, with an attitude like yours, we definitely will never get 20k+.

What ever you are thinking now in terms of figures, double it.

20k is pathetic.

Why don't you just roll over and die if thats how you think....why dont you just give up now.

I am sorry, (but i dont apologise in real life for things i have not done, except here its a term of speech) but you need to stop sooking it.

League is capable of big things, but people need to see that you can't keep doing what you've been doing if you expect a different result.

This is pretty simple sh t.

And btw, no one wants to kill sydney clubs enmass. The timid, weakened, brittle thing that is the sydney rl landscape, cannot be slapped another time, god forbid. ... Just dont expect a full complement of teams into the future that much is certain....dont sniffle now, guys. Its for the best, as the teams playing there right now, are mostly weak clubs. When the going gets tough, it'll be too late if they have not toughened up previously.

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Interestingly I saw footage recently of when Western Suburbs were booted from the competition in 1983, the basic commentfrom everyone including the President was doom and gloom and the club would never play in the top flight again. Well after they got over the talking they began to rebuild the club again and eventually were semi finalists in 1991, 1992 and 1996.

So the point is never say never and anything can change, sport goes in cycles.

Vossy

Bench
loudstrat your post was pure gold..

ffs will you all stop using the sharks as an example, we are not going anywhere and never will cause once again illiterate braindead morons continue to pull info out of their homeless arses to take more shots at my club...

What do we get, Cronulla struggle to make 10k sometimes and that was a game against the premiers!

SOMETIMES..like every other bloody sydney club..if you look, we averaged higher then 10k..would you want to sit in the sh!thouse conditions we are use to on a winters night..look at the figures we got on a beautiful sunday x2 against the eels and tigers, we packed the joint out..give us more day games, we get even bigger crowds..

killing off sydney clubs would effectively hand sydney over to AFL and losing thousands of league fans forever..typical qlder jibberish, without sydney, league wouldnt be where it is today in this country

Ha ha, got laugh at that article. Cronulla as the shining light of the future of RL in this country. FFS I pity you fools who are happy with RL being a secondary sport, getting p1** poor media, pathetic crowds, living hand to mouth year on year and constantly being reactive to the changing face of the sporting landscape rather than proactive.

Enjoy your predominantly suburban comp in front of 12,000 in last century stadia, like Nero (and Gallop) it probably won't be till its burnt down that you stop fiddling!

:roll: f*ck off please :fist:

kthnxbye

ftr an AFL team in western sydney will NOT work..they can try all they want, and we western sydney residents will just keep telling them to f*ck off back to victoria and take the swans with them

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I understand where you are comming from $$Poor Boy Blues$$ but the history of rugby league and for that matter union, very few clubs have averaged over 25,000 consistently. The Broncos being the exception, even league fanatics like Newcastle only average 20,000 odd.

You cut Sydney back to 6 clubs and watch the game die, no-one will give a stuff. Already after the super league war when rationalisation took place the passion that was once there has been replaced by a take it or leave it attitude generally. Look at what makes other leagues and clubs successful, it's history, passion, love for the club and it's traditions, that's what people love. This is a massive asset. Tell me did people love the Bears and Sea Eagles or the Northern Eagles? This is why we play at the SCG and Leichhardt and everyone gets warm and fuzzy about it.

Rationalising does NOT equate to bigger crowds, in 1994 Manly (14,860) and North Sydney (15,116) averaged 29,976 between them . In 2008, according to your theory one club in one massive area a northern Sydney club should average 25,000 to 30,000. No, Manly averaged 13,694 and they won the comp!!!

St.George Illawarra averaged 12,596 in 1993 Illawarra (12,321) and St.George (14,770) averaged a combined 27,091.

Today clubs maximise their crowds by playing at better and bigger venues and not at home every two weeks.

So whilst in theory it sounds good to merge/relocate or kill off clubs it doesn't work in reality it just turns areas like Bears territory into Swans and Waratahs supporters.

Is that good business?

Last edited:

Vossy

Bench
people who want to take pot shots at the clubs should consider the performance of the NRL governing body first, because clubs can only do so much..

it doesnt help that there are so many things that can influence the size of crowds week to week..you can only fit so many people into a ground

black outs wont work cause your effectively wiping out tv coverage in sydney and watch the tv rights deals worth plummet...

we need more day time games, day time = better games, night games usually turn into a mess..

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I agree Vossy, Sydney clubs should get back to afternoon football, play only one Sydney game a round at night. This will get people back into the habit of going to football.

Loudstrat

Coach
And when the Bears start getting 25k to their games then they can have a license too.

The bears are replacing no one, dickhead.

Question for you Loudstart. Where do you live now? Still in the Parramatta area I'm presuming.
Nope. North Coast
But what if for whatever reason you moved to the Sutherland Shire for example, had 3 kids born and raised there. Would you raise them to support Parra just like you did or expect them to support the local area, in this case Cronulla?
They are free to support whoever they want. One picked Dad's club (Eels), one picked the local club (Knights).

Point is that the local team choice is evident in NSW, and not AFL in Victoria.
And whoever says Sydney clubs are bankrupt is an idiot. Obviously, if it's bankrupt, it's already gone. I see the same clubs lining up for 09 as lined up for 08. Funny that.

Anyone also advocating that anything less than a 25k crowd as being bullsh*t - hope you enjoy your one team comp. Because 15 of the DO NOT average 25k. Only 2 come close.

Sydney club home crowds are stronger now than in decades past. They are surviving. There is no evidence that Perth will get huge crowds. And the investment for the future? How long does the investment have to be for? Central Coast and a 2nd SEQ side can deliver that NOW. I don't see why we have to abandon League in NSW on the off chance that a Perth side might be equal to one abandoned club in 20 years time.

Perth, of course, is welcome to ADD to our comp. ot be a replacement.

WHEN a club dies - if ever, it can be replaced. But it;s a bit like the scene from Holy Graille: "I'm not dead yet....." "Yes you are". "No I'm not". THUMP. "Yes, he's dead".

bobmar28

Bench
I understand where you are comming from $$Poor Boy Blues$$ but the history of rugby league and for that matter union, very few clubs have averaged over 25,000 consistently. The Broncos being the exception, even league fanatics like Newcastle only average 20,000 odd.

You cut Sydney back to 6 clubs and watch the game die, no-one will give a stuff. Already after the super league war when rationalisation took place the passion that was once there has been replaced by a take it or leave it attitude generally. Look at what makes other leagues and clubs successful, it's history, passion, love for the club and it's traditions, that's what people love. This is a massive asset. Tell me did people love the Bears and Sea Eagles or the Northern Eagles? This is why we play at the SCG and Leichhardt and everyone gets warm and fuzzy about it.

Rationalising does NOT equate to bigger crowds, in 1994 Manly (14,860) and North Sydney (15,116) averaged 29,976 between them . In 2008, according to your theory one club in one massive area a northern Sydney club should average 25,000 to 30,000. No, Manly averaged 13,694 and they won the comp!!!

St.George Illawarra averaged 12,596 in 1993 Illawarra (12,321) and St.George (14,770) averaged a combined 27,091.

Today clubs maximise their crowds by playing at better and bigger venues and not at home every two weeks.

So whilst in theory it sounds good to merge/relocate or kill off clubs it doesn't work in reality it just turns areas like Bears territory into Swans and Waratahs supporters.

Is that good business?
People on the north shore have always been mostly Swans and Waratahs supporters. It is that type of demographic.

griff

Bench
People on the north shore have always been mostly Swans and Waratahs supporters. It is that type of demographic.

If you are 12 years old, and your definition of "always" goes back less than 10 years, then you would be right.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
According to my stats there was a time when over 15,000 regularly watched the Bears on the North Shore.

adamkungl

Immortal
people who want to take pot shots at the clubs should consider the performance of the NRL governing body first, because clubs can only do so much..

it doesnt help that there are so many things that can influence the size of crowds week to week..you can only fit so many people into a ground

black outs wont work cause your effectively wiping out tv coverage in sydney and watch the tv rights deals worth plummet...

we need more day time games, day time = better games, night games usually turn into a mess..

Its f**king cold in cronulla on a saturday night. I agree.

gallagher

Juniors
Anyone also advocating that anything less than a 25k crowd as being bullsh*t - hope you enjoy your one team comp. Because 15 of the DO NOT average 25k. Only 2 come close.

But in an earlier post.
League is doing ok, despite what the AFL hugging wowsers like you suggest. Get 25K to the games that go over there and you'll have a point. Get less and you can keep your AFL dreams alive.

Vossy

Bench
Its f**king cold in cronulla on a saturday night. I agree.

yes it is, if the NRL had half a clue there would be a hell of lot more day games..i love day games in the shire, usually bright sunny day and we pack the ground out, night games are sh!t

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's the problem with being at the beck and call of TV I guess. In SL clubs can nominate when they will play games and as only two games a week are televised it means that 80% of games are when the club decide they will play them.

I guess if we had a TV deal that was reflective of the viewing then it wouldn't be such a drama but as it is clubs have to play games at times that don't work for the fans due to TV's control.

Loudstrat

Coach
yes it is, if the NRL had half a clue there would be a hell of lot more day games..i love day games in the shire, usually bright sunny day and we pack the ground out, night games are sh!t

Totally agree. Doesn't stop f*cktards like Perth Red demanding they all be killed off so he can have a home team that draws even less.

Perth Red

Post Whore
you know you really need to get over this obsession. How many threads is that you have now spouted your nonsense about these imaginary people who want to kill off all Sydney teams? Seriously have a look at how many threads you've posted the same thing on!