What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Widdop

BrissyRedV

Bench
Two completely different 5/8 both good in their own right.
Widdops main strength is his ability to continually take on the line with his footwork. He has great hands
A good passing and kicking game and he is a very solid defender.
Widdops only drawback his a lack of genuine speed.

Showed a clean set of heels againest us in round 1 last year.

BrissyRedV

Bench
Only one man who should be captain. He wears #1 and is named Dugan.

He is a leader of men. You can see how others look up to him both on and off field. If he can get past the off field woes as matures, he would be a great candidate.

BennyV

Referee
That was pre-dislocated hip injury however. Not sure of his speed in space now.

T.

I know it's reasonable to assume he lost a step or two after his injury, there's a lot of people claiming he's slow based on an assumption...

I actually thought he was very quick pre-injury and wouldn't be surprised if he got near that again in the near future...

possm

Coach
If Stanley makes the first grade side, will Widdop be moved to halfback? The popular pick is for Widdop at 6 and Williams at 7 and I imagine it will be Stanley at 6 and Drinkwater at 7 in the Cutters.

I have always thought of Stanley as a five-eighth and can't really see him psushing a fit Widdop from his preferred position.

Fingerbang

Bench
I reckon the timing of this Witt signing is so inconvenient. Poor possm had already finished team selections for both NRL Dragons and Cutters by then.

Time to pull out the red marker pen, possm.

jenninga

First Grade
I reckon the timing of this Witt signing is so inconvenient. Poor possm had already finished team selections for both NRL Dragons and Cutters by then.

Time to pull out the red marker pen, possm.

Possm's Cutters squad is chokkers,noone good enough for 1st grade selection until they earn their stripes with the Cutters.

st.phil

Bench
widdop is fast, seen him look rapid particularly in 2012 - don't judge him solely on the games since injury return...Shirvo will get him moving, the kid has toe

hardbaby

Coach
I wouldn't have classified Widdop as anything other than quick. As for how the injury affected him, I guess we'll find out soon enough. He seems to have bounced back pretty well.

If you watched the England team in the World Cup you will have noticed they were directionless in attack until the semi final, when Widdop was picked as a starting player at No 6.

Prior to the semi-final the England coach was persisting with a former St George player named Rangi Chase, who was playing his own individual game and providing no direction for England.

In the semi-final Widdop was much more of a team player than Chase and a good field kicker. He was probably the 3rd best player for England, behind Sam Burgess and James Graham, and he helped lift the England team to almost qualify for the WC Final.

Steelman

Juniors
If you watched the England team in the World Cup you will have noticed they were directionless in attack until the semi final, when Widdop was picked as a starting player at No 6.

Prior to the semi-final the England coach was persisting with a former St George player named Rangi Chase, who was playing his own individual game and providing no direction for England.

In the semi-final Widdop was much more of a team player than Chase and a good field kicker. He was probably the 3rd best player for England, behind Sam Burgess and James Graham, and he helped lift the England team to almost qualify for the WC Final.

I agree that the poms did look better with widdop at 5/8 but it's the halfbacks job to direct the team around the park . 5/8s job to create and exploit opportunity. Seinfeld wasn't up to it as half

jenninga

First Grade
I agree that the poms did look better with widdop at 5/8 but it's the halfbacks job to direct the team around the park . 5/8s job to create and exploit opportunity. Seinfeld wasn't up to it as half

:lol::lol::lol:

Cagey Mac

Bench
If Stanley makes the first grade side, will Widdop be moved to halfback? The popular pick is for Widdop at 6 and Williams at 7 and I imagine it will be Stanley at 6 and Drinkwater at 7 in the Cutters.

I have always thought of Stanley as a five-eighth and can't really see him psushing a fit Widdop from his preferred position.

Don't be surprised if Stanley plays off the bench in a replacement DH and utility role.