What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gareth Widdop

matPORTS

Juniors
Just a little something to hopefully get us a bit pumped up and excited ahead of the pre-season and next year...

Recently some of my Melbourne based colleagues were up in Sydney, and I got talking with one who just so happens to be a Melbourne Storm Corporate Member (I wasn't expecting to engage in any water cooler conversations about Rugby League with any of them so I was a bit taken back when asked who I supported). He also just so happens to be good friends with Gareth Widdops' parents.

The Storm were absolutely devastated to have to let him go (naturally squeezed out due to the salary cap). They believe his potential to be better than any of the other "Big 3" and that his work ethic, especially on the training paddock, will be sorely missed. Case in point was him absolutely working his guts out to try and get himself right to play in the finals and make the World Cup for England. He is a natural leader.

They are still very much feeling the on-going effects of their cheating and are finding it hard to re-generate. They were playing out of there skins to win that comp in 2012. While the greatness of the "Big 3" (along with Bellache as coach) will keep them in good stead for another couple of years, they're not getting any younger and increasing workload on them will surely start to take it's toll sooner rather than later.

Despite any deficiencies which may exist with our coaching staff and playing roster for 2014, don't underestimate the value that this guy alone will bring to our club both on and off the field. Even if he does (god forbid) pick up an injury, his work ethic to recover and get back will still hopefully be an inspiration to the others in group.

Bring on 2014!!

jenninga

First Grade
Just a little something to hopefully get us a bit pumped up and excited ahead of the pre-season and next year...

Recently some of my Melbourne based colleagues were up in Sydney, and I got talking with one who just so happens to be a Melbourne Storm Corporate Member (I wasn't expecting to engage in any water cooler conversations about Rugby League with any of them so I was a bit taken back when asked who I supported). He also just so happens to be good friends with Gareth Widdops' parents.

The Storm were absolutely devastated to have to let him go (naturally squeezed out due to the salary cap). They believe his potential to be better than any of the other "Big 3" and that his work ethic, especially on the training paddock, will be sorely missed. Case in point was him absolutely working his guts out to try and get himself right to play in the finals and make the World Cup for England. He is a natural leader.

They are still very much feeling the on-going effects of their cheating and are finding it hard to re-generate. They were playing out of there skins to win that comp in 2012. While the greatness of the "Big 3" (along with Bellache as coach) will keep them in good stead for another couple of years, they're not getting any younger and increasing workload on them will surely start to take it's toll sooner rather than later.

Despite any deficiencies which may exist with our coaching staff and playing roster for 2014, don't underestimate the value that this guy alone will bring to our club both on and off the field. Even if he does (god forbid) pick up an injury, his work ethic to recover and get back will still hopefully be an inspiration to the others in group.

Bring on 2014!!

Good stuff, and with the likes of Fien retired ,a natural leader is exactly what we need.
If he finishes his career with us we should have some good seasons to look forward to.

TruSaint

Referee

Bring on 2014!!

Thanks mat... Excellent post mate.

TheRev

First Grade
Hopefully he can stay fit and health and regain his speed, hes a bloke you build a club around..

And lets also hope 2014 goes relatively smoothly and we can get this coaching rubbish out of the way one way or the other very early on.

Steelman

Juniors
Matports thanks for positive news. Am a little disappointed Gareth has been left out of the pommy team for the quarter final game this weekend.
I believe the more game time he gets at the moment will be of great benefit to the dragons come 2014.

Hopefully he is still a chance to play in the coming weeks

TruSaint

Referee
Matports thanks for positive news. Am a little disappointed Gareth has been left out of the pommy team for the quarter final game this weekend.
I believe the more game time he gets at the moment will be of great benefit to the dragons come 2014.

Hopefully he is still a chance to play in the coming weeks

No no no Steelman.
We need him injury free.
I know a lot of people love the RLWC, but he means more.

hardbaby

Coach
I think Widdop and Thompson were fantastic signings. They both have huge work ethics, are very family-orientated, super talented and extremely positive on and off the field. If you are looking for your future captains they are the guys. Creagh filled a hole last year but persisting with him is dumb. That + comments on Kyle Stanley, Dan Hunt etc do make me wonder a bit whether Doust and Price are trying to prove the doubters wrong. I sincerely hope not. You can win with almost any hand but you have to play it the right way.

Minh

First Grade
I've liked Widdop as a player for a long time now and was always quietly hoping he'd become a Saint one day.

Steelman

Juniors
Gareth Widdops preferred playing position with the dragons is half back. Apparently has talked at length with Price about this option and wants the opportunity and added responsibility. Was an outstanding half during his junior playing days.

Well master coach Steve Price seems some tough decisions to be made....Battle in the halfs we be interesting. .....

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Im sure Widdop could handle 6 or 7, only question is whether Williams can handle #6? How good is his running game?

I just think there is too much talent to have Williams playing for the cutters, not unless Style is literally tearing up the training paddock in the off-season.

Efresh

Coach
I thought Widdop was always a fullback and only moved to the halves because there was no chance of a spot behind Slater in Melbourne.

watatank

Coach
He was fullback in the U20s for Melbourne, not sure what happened before that.

I think Widdop is best suited to fullback but it's good to hear that he has a really good attitude towards stepping up and taking on a key role. Hope he can do just that.

GaryW

Juniors
He only played fullback for 2 years in the U20's, prior to this he always played 7. He moved to 6 at the Storm and prefers this over playing 7.

Twenty10

Juniors
Im sure Widdop could handle 6 or 7, only question is whether Williams can handle #6? How good is his running game?

I just think there is too much talent to have Williams playing for the cutters, not unless Style is literally tearing up the training paddock in the off-season.

Hahah here we go again....

Stanley and widdop will be starting halves. Wouldn't surprise to see
7. Widdop
6. Stanley

Let the argument continue....

hardbaby

Coach
Thats a rocking halves pairing!! Im in!

I'm not. Stanley should fight his way back in. We have a tough season coming up and need to start well. We need to gain early momentum, rebuild a winning culture and bring our fans back to the matches. We can't take a risk with a guy who has minimal experience in the halves and almost no footy for two years.

Cagey Mac

Bench
The pre-season generally and trials in particular could afford enough time to evaluate the situation. Widdop, seen as the new hope, is likely to get his way and if he's lobbying for 7 then that may be where he starts.

Kyle Stanley is a favoured son and the move of Widdop to 7 would give a more logical reason to bring about a Widdop / Stanley combination.

Still some water to pass under the bridge before a decision is made.

bottle

Coach
I think if you refer to GarryW's post further back in the thread you will find that Gareth is happy with the 6 on his back.
Rest assured that this bloke has his finger on the pulse a lot more than the bloke who has suggested he is angling for the HB jumper.