What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gasnier Farce Once Again Highlights the Need For a Points System

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I mean, the money a team pays a player is not his true worth.

If we had a points system then Gasnier wouldn't be allowed to fit into that side and give them an advantage. And if we had it two years ago he wouldn't of left the game.

The Tank

Bench
I don't have a problem with it. If he's happy to take a pay cut then good luck to him and the Saints.

Eels Dude

Coach
You're ignoring the whole fact the one half of the reason we have a salary cap is to stop clubs going broke... having a points system does nothing to stop clubs going broke. Not to mention the fact that a points system would be completely unenforceable.

Knownothing

Juniors
I suppose this has been canvassed before, but what about the NRL putting a notional yearly value on every player? That would stop some of the rorting. Clubs would be allowed to pay more than the notional value (and the higher figure would of course be counted against the salary cap), but even if they paid less the notional figure would be used.

Last edited:
Too many double standards within the system.

Eels players not allowed to take paycut to keep Kingston.

Previous speculation of Melbourne players taking paycut to stick together (unlikely).

Gasnier effectively taking paycut, to have contract backended in future.

Not saying these circumstances are entirely the same, but FMD it is a confusing and convoluted system that is in place.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

If we had a points system then Gasnier wouldn't be allowed to fit into that side and give them an advantage. And if we had it two years ago he wouldn't of left the game.
What's wrong with getting an advantage? That's what good management is supposed to be doing.

If we had a points system? To tell a player where to play? Doesn't make sense. Perhaps you mean some sort of draft. A system that was defeated in the courts decades ago.

And what's wrong with a team re-signing a junior on a good deal? It is in his contract that he can't play for another NRL club before 2012. He wants to play for Saints.

There is nothing wrong going on here. Get over it.

Jason Maher

Immortal

Somebody failed basic economics in high school. A player's worth is whatever a club is willing to pay them and whatever the player is willing to accept. If both the Dragons and Gasnier agree to $50k + match payments, then that is what he is worth.

And other clubs will benefit from next year, as we'll have to release palyers (and not base salary players either) to accomodate Gasnier for 2011/12.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Too many double standards within the system.

Eels players not allowed to take paycut to keep Kingston.

Previous speculation of Melbourne players taking paycut to stick together (unlikely).

Gasnier effectively taking paycut, to have contract backended in future.

Not saying these circumstances are entirely the same, but FMD it is a confusing and convoluted system that is in place.

The circumstances are entirely different.

I don't know anything about the Kingston deal - ie if players wanted to take a cut or not. If they did, it has nothing to do with the proposed signing of Gasnier. And Melbourne's situation couldn't be further away from this.

Assuming Gasnier does re-sign (still not a 'done deal'), I fail to see any problem with him signing a new contract with a club after playing rugby union.

Presumably it would be OK if Gasnier signed with Brisbane, Newcastle or Parramatta?

I don't know anything about the Kingston deal - ie if players wanted to take a cut or not. If they did, it has nothing to do with the proposed signing of Gasnier. And Melbourne's situation couldn't be further away from this.

Assuming Gasnier does re-sign (still not a 'done deal'), I fail to see any problem with him signing a new contract with a club after playing rugby union.

Presumably it would be OK if Gasnier signed with Brisbane, Newcastle or Parramatta?

The fact that Gasnier won't sign with Brisbane, Newcastle or Parramatta for $50k, is why there is some contention from other clubs.

But, if it he did want to sign for my team for $50K, I would be cheering.

If it's not against the rules as they stand at the moment, then best of luck to him and to Saints.

My point is more to do with how confusing and labyrinthine player movement and the ins and out of the salary cap is at the moment.

Eels Dude

Coach

Just to clear that up, it is a grey area within the salary cap. Kingston wanted to take a pay cut himself if he re-signed with Parra last year. But because he was previously on a match payment salary ast year he would have automatically been valued for 115K for 2010... regardless of the fact he may have been willing to be paid for 55k. If the Panthers are paying him 55k this year he's still counted as being 115k according to the NRL, dunno why it works that way but that's the case.

And to the topic at hand, if Gasnier wants to play for the Dragons for 50k, good on him. If Billy Slater wants to take 50k to play for Melbourne too, then good on him.

simostorm

Bench
Don't remember this much furore when Brett Finch signed with the Storm for below market value.

Oh...

PLease.. your comparing Finch to Gasnier??

Finch was let go by his club mid season. In that situation clubs
are probally already capped. Or unable to sign anyone.. so that sort of deal is the only option.

Gasnier. Strolls back from union with a price tag worth as equal as any top player in the league and wont go anywhere but Saints..

thats garbage. StRorters.

simostorm

Bench
Just to clear that up, it is a grey area within the salary cap. Kingston wanted to take a pay cut himself if he re-signed with Parra last year. But because he was previously on a match payment salary ast year he would have automatically been valued for 115K for 2010... regardless of the fact he may have been willing to be paid for 55k. If the Panthers are paying him 55k this year he's still counted as being 115k according to the NRL, dunno why it works that way but that's the case.

And to the topic at hand, if Gasnier wants to play for the Dragons for 50k, good on him. If Billy Slater wants to take 50k to play for Melbourne too, then good on him.

Gallops not allowing that tho is he?

Paullyboy

Coach
There are issues with this system, however as a rugby league fan I'd love to see him back no matter how they manage to do it.

_snafu_

Immortal
There is No way Gasnier would take this kind of Deal with any other club.
This is as rort as equal as the Storm's as far as im concerned.

You think Gasnier would goto the Sharks for min salary.. or game payments??

No chance.

NFI:lol::lol::lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

STG-Dragon

Juniors
There is No way Gasnier would take this kind of Deal with any other club.
This is as rort as equal as the Storm's as far as im concerned.

You think Gasnier would goto the Sharks for min salary.. or game payments??

No chance.

:lol: you are an idiotic f**ken dickhead!

Last edited by a moderator:

Eels Dude

Coach
Gallops not allowing that tho is he?

I don't recall David Gallop saying that... your team has to shed 1.3 million dollars in player's salaries for next year. If you're able to great, but with 12 players or so on the minimum wage the remaining 13 would have to take an average 100k paycut between them. Gallop's just being realistic.

simostorm

Bench
I don't recall David Gallop saying that... your team has to shed 1.3 million dollars in player's salaries for next year. If you're able to great, but with 12 players or so on the minimum wage the remaining 13 would have to take an average 100k paycut between them. Gallop's just being realistic.

Im pretty sure Gallop has said that he will not allow players to take pay cuts. They will have to leave the club.

RedVee

First Grade

What rot! Saints don't have a 'star' player let alone a menangerie of them. They just have a collection of 'good' players that needs a star added.
You certainly can't compare their roster to Melbourne, Manly or even Brisbane by number of elite players.
A points system would favour Saints, please advance its introduction.

Latest posts