What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gasnier in Union

SAF

Juniors
Was just wondering if Mark Gasnier is eligible to be picked for the Wallabies when he starts playing union for Stade Francais ?

SAF

Juniors
that's just ridiculous !! and might need some changing in the future if European rugby continues to poach the best Australian players either in league or union.

Can you imagine the same scenario in soccer if only the A-league players were eligible for the Australian national team

I think they need to get with the times and pick the best players no matter where they play - that is not to say that Gasnier deserves the Wallaby jumper at this stage

shiznit

Coach
its about protecting the domestic game. what incentive is there to stay in australia and play rugby union if you can earn much more money in europe??

Parra

Referee
This could change. With Elsom playing overseas for financial reasons Deans has intimated that he may still be eligible. Getting the clubs to release the players is a different matter.

Te Kaha

First Grade
Nope.. I would put money on Gasnier being in the French team within a couple of years

Girondin

Juniors
Wouldn't Gasnier have to have some sort of French heritage or become a French Citizen to be eligable to play for France?
I read somewhere that he can get a French passport courtesy of the grandparent rule, which makes sense considering his surname sounds French.

The other two possibilities are:
- he marries his current gf (who's French)
- he stays 3 years in the country, but he would be 30 by then

Butters

Bench
This could change. With Elsom playing overseas for financial reasons Deans has intimated that he may still be eligible. Getting the clubs to release the players is a different matter.

Wasn't Elsom just going over to play for 1 season and after that he'd come back to Australia?