What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gavet gorrrrrrnnnnnn!!??

Meth

Staff member
Yeah, meh if true.

It's hard to know who the real James Gavet is. The 2017 version or the 2018 version. Certainly, 2017 is anomalous in the context of his career thus far.

ozenzud

Juniors
Are they freeing up the cap for some big play? They have signed not much for next year. Johnson free to discuss. Something must be going on is it?

Big Marty T would be nice. It does make you think what management and recruitment have in mind. If it's a big play for someone big cool or reserving some $$ for more re-signings?

ozenzud

Juniors
Big Marty T would be nice. It does make you think what management and recruitment have in mind. If it's a big play for someone big cool or reserving some $$ for more re-signings?

Tapau would be awesome I reckon. Our pack can struggle against some of the bigger packs in the comp. But Tapau has never lived in NZ has he?

Mighty Ape Man

Juniors
Yeah, meh if true.

It's hard to know who the real James Gavet is. The 2017 version or the 2018 version. Certainly, 2017 is anomalous in the context of his career thus far.
I think 2017 he stood out in a mostly underperforming pack. With Paasi arriving and Bunty with experience under his belt, he didn't have the same impact. Of course injury may have played a part there too. I wasn't aware that he had disciplinary issues this year though (mentioned in Herald article). If that is the case then good on the club for making a stand.

Iron Lion

Juniors
What can you tell us about him Lion?

Has the skill set of a young Jerome Ropati but a lot taller, a bit more solid and a lot more athletic. O'Sullivan signed him to the roosters but the kid always seemed destined to be a homeboy not wanting to make the move to early. Quite young still, I think maybe just turned 20. Noise out of the Roosters had O'Sullivan claiming he was the best signing he made while at the roosters which says a lot.

Obviously has had the tap on the shoulder from O'Sullivan to come home. Was seen as a possible next cab off the rank at the roosters but with Manu becoming settled in the centres over there it is a good move heading home to Auckland. Pompey's dream was to play alongside RTS, so he may do it now.

Warriors might have hit the jackpot with both Milne and Pompey signing. At least one will probably pay off well and both could plausibly become the two best centres at the club. Kata, will need to up his game, likely bye bye Ashyford and CNK (Could survive as a wing) I suspect.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Gavet leaving has freed up $450k left on his last year.

I call bullshit on that. I know he was re-signed on the back of good form in 2017 but no one's signing James Gavet, with his history, on a $450k contract. And nor would the Knights take him off our hands for that sort of cash.

To put that in perspective, Adam Blair was $650k a year and Ah Mau around $500k.

Who's our fourth prop now? Ah Mau, Afoa, Paasi and? Not Lisone, thanks...Satae showed not a lot of anything last year, you'd hope we are looking at something else to be letting Gavet go. He was underwhelming in 2018 but I felt offered something in the final v Penrith and when he was 4th banana as opposed to having to lead a pack he was OK.

Latest posts