What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Realism?

Bob8

Juniors
An interesting article from Andy Wilson that puts the seriousness of the gulf in rugby league between GB and Australia into perpective:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyleague/comment/0,,1957444,00.html

I think his assessment is spot on. Furthermore, I do not think tinkering, with a few less games, or an adjustment of the salary cap will make much difference. The game in GB has to concentrate on domestic growth before it can look to dominate internationally.

The Observer

Staff member
Of course those factors will make a difference. Domestic growth is important, but by no means is it the only factor. NZ do well with a fraction of England player and supporter base.

Jeffles

Bench
Exactly The Observer. To me the reason is that many NZ players feel the intensity of the NRL. GB players need the lift in intensity, either in their competition or by a few trying NRL. In just 5 years, SL has become more competitive as more clubs make legitimate finals challenges so things are on the up.

nadera78

Juniors
Andy Wilson makes some good points there but it's nothing ground breaking, we knew all of that already. Well, we do, the club owners don't give a sh*t so it's unlikely to change any time soon.

Mind you, having a GB coach that doesn't pick teams based on who has worked with in the past and go on to say things like this would be a start.

"I would love to have given a game to Paul Wood OR Andy Coley but it is a case of the devil you know or the devil you don't"

Cheers Nobby, thanks for the hard work, now bugger off!

eels_fan_01

Bench
I agree that atleast Superleague is getting more competitive because they need the week to week grind of the NRL. Mentally every NRL player knows that a bad game will result in a loss but in Superleague, the top sides bad game will result in a close win.