What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB side for Sat

Gibbo

Juniors
Gleeson dropped for Yeaman....good call IMO

MORLEY RELEGATED TO BENCH, GLEESON AND CARVELL DROPPED
Wednesday 1 Nov 2006 11:33
by Matthew O'Neill

746_img.jpg
on error resume nextShockMode = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash.6")))if ( ShockMode Great Britain coach Brian Noble has omitted Adrian Morley to the bench for Saturday's crunch match against Australia at Sydney's Aussie Stadium.

Wigan back-rower Gareth Hock has been promoted to the starting side at Morley's expense with captain Jamie Peacock moving to the front-row to partner Stuart Fielden who is in doubt through injury.

Martin Gleeson has lost his position at right centre with Hull FC's Kirk Yeaman coming into the side whilst out of form duo Keith Senior and Brian Carney have been given another chance.

Impressive St Helens back-rower Jon Wilkin has been promoted to the bench to make his Test debut with Gareth Carvell dropped from the 17 man squad. Wilkin was 18th man last weekend as Noble opted for Lee Gilmour instead. Both players are in the 17 for the important clash against Australia.

The Lions have already been written off and many critics are expecting Australia to rack up a massive score. Great Britain will be better for the run against New Zealand, but their record against Australia in modern times is embarrassing to say the least. Great Britain have won just six Tests in the last 25 years against the Australians compared to Australia winning 29 Tests.

Australia v Great Britain, Saturday 4th November, Aussie Stadium, 8:00pm:

Great Britain: Paul Wellens (St Helens), Brian Carney (Newcastle), Keith Senior (Leeds), Kirk Yeaman (Hull FC), Leon Pryce (St Helens), Danny McGuire (Leeds), Sean Long (St Helens), Stuart Fielden (Wigan), Terry Newton (Bradford), Jamie Peacock (Leeds, capt), Gareth Ellis (Leeds), Gareth Hock (Wigan), Sean O'Loughlin (Wigan). Subs: James Roby (St Helens), Adrian Morley (Roosters), Lee Gilmour (St Helens), Jon Wilkin (St Helens).

Australia: Karmichael Hunt (Brisbane), Brent Tate (Brisbane), Mark Gasnier (Dragons), Jamie Lyon (St Helens), Greg Inglis (Melbourne), Darren Lockyer (Brisbane, capt), Ben Hornby (Dragons), Mark O'Meley (Bulldogs), Shaun Berrigan (Brisbane), Petero Civoniceva (Brisbane), Willie Mason (Bulldogs), Nathan Hindmarsh (Parramatta), Luke O'Donnell (North Queensland). Subs: Cameron Smith (Melbourne), Anthony Tupou (Roosters), Brent Kite (Manly), Sam Thaiday (Brisbane).

Referee: Ashley Klein (Australia)

nadera78

Juniors
1) Glad Gleeson is dropped, he was v.v.poor against NZ.
2) Why drop Carvell? He's had a great year and gives oomph off the bench.
3) We're going into a test match with just 3 props, 1 of whom is injured (Fielden), the 2nd is prone to brain explosions (Morley) and the 3rd (Peacock) is actually a 2nd row not a prop. Great, well done Nobby!
4) After the display Simpkins gave last week, anyone would be better. Seriously if he's the best ref in Australia then you can never, ever, ever complain about refs from other countries.
5) How the hell is O'Loughlin still in there? dear God!

KiWi_BoI_15

Juniors
Was Carvell the prop off the bench? if he is why'd they drop him he was making ground with some big hit ups, i know alot people rated Fielden as the best prop in the game and i had not seen him play till last sat night against the kiwis hes rubbish.

A few pussy hit ups, drop ball and mainly spending his time on the side line! i dont know maybe i have to see a few more of his games but i know he better step it up by saturday against a physical and very fit forward Aussie pack!

colonel_123

Juniors
PARRA_FAN said:
Not Klien again. :x

What happened to using neutral refs, didnt it satisfy Ricky. :roll:

From what I understand.

New Zealand had nominated Glen Black as their referee. He had been rejected as not being up to standard, Stuart had pushed for Simpkins to referee instead and everyone settled on Klein as the compromise.

Phillips

Referee
Carvell should be starting prop

Gleeson is Great Britains best centre, Senior should have made way for Yeaman

Nook

Bench
Looking forward to seeing Wilkin.

Carvell should be there, he did pretty well last week - better effort than the 'backup prop' of past years like Ward, Thackray etc. Peacock went well last week and he plays it tight but having him as one of 3 'props' is a big ask.

Gleeson was sh*te last week but being dropped is a big call. He hasn't played well internationally since 2004 but he's a classy player at his best. Yeaman will be interesting, hope he tackles better than he did in the GF.

They're capable of matching us. We're capable of flogging them. T'will be interesting.

Ricardihno

Juniors
Nook said:
Looking forward to seeing Wilkin.

Carvell should be there, he did pretty well last week - better effort than the 'backup prop' of past years like Ward, Thackray etc. Peacock went well last week and he plays it tight but having him as one of 3 'props' is a big ask.

Gleeson was sh*te last week but being dropped is a big call. He hasn't played well internationally since 2004 but he's a classy player at his best. Yeaman will be interesting, hope he tackles better than he did in the GF.

They're capable of matching us. We're capable of flogging them. T'will be interesting.

I noticed your Location on the top right haha....your f**kin fired bob...your f**kin FIRED HAHAHA

expansionist

Juniors
I can never fathom what goes on in Nobles brain, but from the match I saw Senior should have gone for Yeoman.

Although Gleeson made mistakes he was consistently trouble in attack.

JasonE

Bench
I wouldn't have dropped Gleeson, he had a bad game but he is a class player and will be back.

JonG

Juniors
Senior played better than gleeson last game, Yeaman is the in form centre in the SL. Good decision I think.

Noble obviously thinks the way forward for this game is speed and mobility in the pack rather than bulk. Morley and Fielden will be GB "enforcers" with the rest in there for their speed and off loading ability. I guess he is hoping to move Mason, O'Meley, Civoneciva around the park and knacker them out in attack, then when GB defend get the likes of Fielden and Morley to put in a few big hits and rough them up.

I can see GB kicking on the 4th a lot, hoping to turn the big boys round and as long as they provide a good chase, pin them down in their own half. The GB pack had a lot more go forward against the Kiwis than the Aussies did, so Noble obviously does not see their pack as their big threat.

The GB pack still has enough strength and size to set up good field position and strong enough defence to hold the aussie forwards back. O'Loughlin is obviously in for his defensive abilities rather than attacking prowess.

The aus threat is from their back line, and what i presume Noble is looking for is the smaller more mobile forwards to provide cover across the park, in an attempt to make Aus play it up the middle.

Bold moves by Noble, one that might pay off, but probably wont. Nice to dsee him try some variety though

nadera78

Juniors
Apparently Fielden wasn't training last week due to a knee injury and was doubtful for the game, which probably explains his lacklustre performance against the Kiwis.

And I don't care what the game plan is (didn't know Noble knew what one was mind you) I hate seeing a squad of 17 with just 3 (actually just 2) props, especially in internationals. It's just asking for trouble.

Oh, and I'm not really a fan of Klein but Simpkins was an absolute disgrace last week.

PRIDEOFLIONS

Juniors
nadera78 said:
1) Glad Gleeson is dropped, he was v.v.poor against NZ.
2) Why drop Carvell? He's had a great year and gives oomph off the bench.
3) We're going into a test match with just 3 props, 1 of whom is injured (Fielden), the 2nd is prone to brain explosions (Morley) and the 3rd (Peacock) is actually a 2nd row not a prop. Great, well done Nobby!
4) After the display Simpkins gave last week, anyone would be better. Seriously if he's the best ref in Australia then you can never, ever, ever complain about refs from other countries.
5) How the hell is O'Loughlin still in there? dear God!

In response:

1) I Agree!!
2) I Agree!!!
3) I Agree!
4) I Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (bring back Harrigan...at least we all new he was a cheat and not JUST incompetent)
5) I Agree...but he may suprise....hmmm not sure...I Agree

Damn you're good!

PRIDEOFLIONS

Juniors
JonG said:
Senior played better than gleeson last game, Yeaman is the in form centre in the SL. Good decision I think.

Noble obviously thinks the way forward for this game is speed and mobility in the pack rather than bulk. Morley and Fielden will be GB "enforcers" with the rest in there for their speed and off loading ability. I guess he is hoping to move Mason, O'Meley, Civoneciva around the park and knacker them out in attack, then when GB defend get the likes of Fielden and Morley to put in a few big hits and rough them up.

I can see GB kicking on the 4th a lot, hoping to turn the big boys round and as long as they provide a good chase, pin them down in their own half. The GB pack had a lot more go forward against the Kiwis than the Aussies did, so Noble obviously does not see their pack as their big threat.

The GB pack still has enough strength and size to set up good field position and strong enough defence to hold the aussie forwards back. O'Loughlin is obviously in for his defensive abilities rather than attacking prowess.

The aus threat is from their back line, and what i presume Noble is looking for is the smaller more mobile forwards to provide cover across the park, in an attempt to make Aus play it up the middle.

Bold moves by Noble, one that might pay off, but probably wont. Nice to dsee him try some variety though

God damn....I agree...good points.

Thought Carvell had a good game last week.. and senior must stay in the side. Hes a brilliant defender and if he fires is always a threat in attack
GB will also need speed in playing the ball...theyve got to catch the big Aussie forwards on the back foot...and if (and its a very big if) the ref is decent hopefully a few infringement penalties. Roby made a big difference in that area last week and id like to see him have more play time.

Where is Burrow...is he injured? Id have him in every time

nadera78

Juniors
PRIDEOFLIONS said:
In response:

1) I Agree!!
2) I Agree!!!
3) I Agree!
4) I Agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (bring back Harrigan...at least we all new he was a cheat and not JUST incompetent)
5) I Agree...but he may suprise....hmmm not sure...I Agree

Damn you're good!

Why thank you kind sir!

Latest posts