What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB Team Changes?

Boz the Eagle

Juniors
I'm pretty sure they'll play alot better against Aus than NZ but still they've gotta pick their best side mine would be.

1. Paul Wellens
2. Brian Carney (will be fired up to make up for the 1/10 against the kiwis
3. Martin Gleeson
4. Keith Senior
5. Leon Pryce
6. Iestyn Harris (they lacked any fluid attack forms a good combo with deacon)
7. Paul Deacon
8. Stuart Fielden
9. Keiron Cunningham
10. Adrian Morley
11. Jamie Peacock
12. Paul Johnson
13. Kevin Sinfield (gives another attacking option)

14. Chev Walker
15. Gareth Ellis
16. Nick Fozzard
17. Jamie Thackray

Pretty much loyal to the first team giving them a another crack. That front row is unbelievably good. Wat do ya reckon?

Iafeta

Referee
Boz the Eagle said:
I'm pretty sure they'll play alot better against Aus than NZ but still they've gotta pick their best side mine would be.

1. Paul Wellens
2. Brian Carney (will be fired up to make up for the 1/10 against the kiwis
3. Martin Gleeson
4. Keith Senior
5. Leon Pryce
6. Iestyn Harris (they lacked any fluid attack forms a good combo with deacon)
7. Paul Deacon
8. Stuart Fielden
9. Keiron Cunningham
10. Adrian Morley
11. Jamie Peacock
12. Paul Johnson
13. Kevin Sinfield (gives another attacking option)

14. Chev Walker
15. Gareth Ellis
16. Nick Fozzard
17. Jamie Thackray

Pretty much loyal to the first team giving them a another crack. That front row is unbelievably good. Wat do ya reckon?

Fozzard? Ellis?

Apparently they played in the last test match - damned if I noticed either one of them.

According to Stevo we were going to get ripped apart limb for limb by Fozzard, but I remember one hit up and that was a softly softly hit up.

yakstorm

First Grade
Harris....if he can recapture the form he had all the way back in 2000 would cause problems for Australia....that said such a turn around is unlikely...

sunny

Do they have any other fullbacks? (I know Radlinski is injured)

Wellens was hopeless.

D

Deleted member 10972

Fozzard is a good, aggressive, tough prop. He should start, with Fielden the other forward, & have Morley & Peacock in the back row. That forward pack is dangerous.

Charge

Juniors
sunny said:
Do they have any other fullbacks? (I know Radlinski is injured)

Wellens was hopeless.

Pryce is a decent fullback, Calderwood is our best winger but didn't get into the squad. For the Match against Aus I would have:

1. Leon Pryce
2. Mark Calderwood
3. Martin Gleeson
4. Keith Senior
5. Gareth Raynor
6. Iestyn Harris
7. Richard Horne
8. Stuart Fielden
9. Keiron Cunningham
10. Adrian Morley
11. Jamie Peacock
12. Paul Johnson
13. Kevin Sinfield

14. Chev Walker
15. Gareth Ellis
16. Eorl Crabtree
17. Jamie Thackray

The players in bold would have to be promoted from the England squad.

MrCharisma

Bench
Firstly, I'd like to get rid of Brian Carney and Keith Senior. The English game has to revolve around the youth of a squad. Get rid of guys who carry baggage from previous loses. Senior hasn't played football in over two months while Carneys performance the other day was horrible. Inject Chev Walker/Paul Johnson into the centres and bring in Marc Calderwood.

The forwards lacked strength. Fielden and KC were the only two outstanding players in the squad. Without a strong 2nd row, Peacocks game fell something fierce. Gilmour should come off the bench while Johnson is a centre, not a second rower.

Garreth Ellis hasn't played lock since he left Wakefield so I don't see why he should play it at a rep level. Insert Ellis into the 2nd row along side Morely.

Iestyn Harris was sorely missed and Kevin Sinfield just didn't work with Deacon. Deacons kicking game is insane and should be utalised with his Bradford partner Harris.

The bench lacked strength. When you face the Kiwi's and the Roos, you don't name a halfback and a centre on the bench. You name three forwards and a hooker/utility. Jamie Thackery and Mick Higham were missed and I'm suprised as anyone they didn't make the squad. This is where GB fails the most. With Garreth Hock, Ryan Bailey, Terry Newton and Paul King all unavailble, GB lacks the depth most other teams have. I think it could be time to insert something fresh like Eorl Crabtree and John Wilkin

I think Wellens time as GB fullback is over. He's safe but too slow off the mark. Stuart Readon saves his arse so much last year and without him, you can see this flaws. I think we need to insert probably the most exciting up and coming player in the ESL, Richie Mathers. This guy is just an all round good player who is young and will only get better with time.

Why wasn't Paul Cooke brough into the side to replace Iesytn Harris? He was named in the Dream Team for a reason Noble, because he's a good friggin player! Even if you don't plan to keep him, at least give him a shot. Great Britains problem over the years has been playing two halfbacks and it confuses the players on who to follow. You could see this with Sinfield and Deacon.

Here would be my Game 2 side for the Aussies

1. Richie Mathers (Leeds)
2. Marc Calderwood (Leeds)
3. Chev Walker (Leeds)
4. Martin Gleeson (Warrington)
5. Karl Pryce (Bradford)
6. Iesytn Harris (Bradford)
7. Paul Deacon (Bradford)
8. Stuart Fielden (Bradford)
9. Keirron Cunningham (St Helens)
10. Jamie Peacock (Bradford)
11. Garreth Ellis (Leeds)
12. Adrian Morely (Sydney City)
13. Kevin Sinfield (Leeds)

14. Jamie Thackery (Hull) OR Ryan Bailey (Leeds)
15. Eorl Crabtree (Huddersfield)
16. Jon Wilkin (St Helens)
17. Micky Higham (St Helens)

PARANoIR

Bench
1. Paul Wellens
2. Brian Carney
3. Leon Pryce
4. Martin Gleeson
5. Marc Calderwood
6. Iestyn Harris
7. Paul Deacon
8. Stu Fielden
9. Keiron Cunningham
10. Adrian Morley
11. Jamie Peacock
12. Paul Johnson/ Gareth Ellis
13. Kevin Sinfield

14. Micky Higham/ Lee Gilmour/ Chev Walker
15. Ryan Bailey
16. Eorl Crabtree
17. Jamie Thackray

Size baby, thats what the poms need. They need to play with more nuts than what they did, they need to get Terry Newtons suspension lifted. They missed him last night.

D

Deleted member 10972

Size...hehehe...this is a good pack then:

8. Stuart Fielden
9. Kieron Cunningham
10. Nick Fozzard
11. Adrian Morley
12. Jamie Peacock
13. Paul Sculthorpe (when available again)

Thats GB's strongest pack, with Thackray & Bailey off the bench.

screeny

Bench
Carney should be dropped for his performance. An Irishman sticking it to the English.

Keep Senior, Pryce, Gleeson and add Raynor to the mix.

Drop, kidnap and then lock up Sinfield and Deacon. Neither are good enough for the European Cup, let alone the Tri Nations. Neither did anything, neither are capable of doing anything.

Harris and Horne must be the halves v Australia.

SuperK was good, Fielden was the only GB player one could describe as briliiant. Peacock's not a prop, so why didn't he play Thakray, and why did the awful Fozzard only get a few minutes? It smacks of David Waite picking Barry Mac a couple of years ago and not playing him, or only giving Sean Long 7 or so minutes.

Noble tried to show what an innovative coach he was by playing Johnson and Gilmour at second row.

All in all, apart from the terrible halves and Carney's awful performance I think we should accept that any RL team coming into a game underdone against battle hardenend and tested elite players will struggle.

GB will undoubtledly be better for the run and if Noble makes the right choices we should be ok against Australia, although I still think we'll lose to them twice.

Red Bear

Referee
screeny said:
Carney should be dropped for his performance. An Irishman sticking it to the English.

Keep Senior, Pryce, Gleeson and add Raynor to the mix.

Drop, kidnap and then lock up Sinfield and Deacon. Neither are good enough for the European Cup, let alone the Tri Nations. Neither did anything, neither are capable of doing anything.

Harris and Horne must be the halves v Australia.

SuperK was good, Fielden was the only GB player one could describe as briliiant. Peacock's not a prop, so why didn't he play Thakray, and why did the awful Fozzard only get a few minutes? It smacks of David Waite picking Barry Mac a couple of years ago and not playing him, or only giving Sean Long 7 or so minutes.

Noble tried to show what an innovative coach he was by playing Johnson and Gilmour at second row.

All in all, apart from the terrible halves and Carney's awful performance I think we should accept that any RL team coming into a game underdone against battle hardenend and tested elite players will struggle.

GB will undoubtledly be better for the run and if Noble makes the right choices we should be ok against Australia, although I still think we'll lose to them twice.
Keep Carney in the side, he generally carves it up, he just had a sh*t game.

Bezant

Juniors
GB are really missing Sculthorpe & Maguire. Also whats the story with Ryan Bailey? Wheres he gone. I think they will struggle unfortunately.

I agree with Boz the eagles team which is the best they have now.

By the way, I rate Fielden. He has been great both this year and last. Would love to see him in the NRL. The Storm are looking for some forward muscle and Melbourne weather is similar to that of the UK.:D

Ari Gold

Bench
1. Pryce (great attacking player)
2. Calderwood
3. Senior (no centre in the world will play well if their halves play crap)
4. Gleeson (same as senior)
5. Carney (will make up for it)
6. Harris
7. Deacon/Horne
8. Fozzard ( adds some ticker to the GB pack)
9. Cunningham
10. Fielden
11. Peacock (one of the best forwards in the world when he tries)
12. Ellis
13. Sinfield

14. Johnson
15. Morley
16. Thackray
17. Bailey

very good bench IMO

- all 4 of those players will make an impact and will give it their all.
- no lil sh*ts running around in circles (rob burrow)
- Bailey can cover many positions, 2nd row, lock, centre, winger

Phillips

Referee
1. Wellens/Mathers
2. Carney
3. Gleeson
4. Senior
5. Walker
6. Pryce
7. Deacon/Horne
8. Fielden
9. Cunningham